Let's talk motivation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morticia said:
What's your one best tip?
OK, before I give you my "best tip" I have to admit that I still don't have my room notebooks done... and I've been fully open for two years now! Some day...
I like lists. I have the massive list of all projects that need done, big or small. Then I have the list of what needs done before I leave on vacation. And I have the list of things for today (flip this room, fluff that one, call so and so). And a shopping list.
My only real tip is to create deadlines. I told my state tourism group I'd send them 4000 rack cards within a couple of weeks. It got done, and the reprint is in the works. I invite relatives that I know will be in my personal space... the family room gets picked up. I hire someone to do something... all the prep work has to be done by his arrival. I send my "accountabilibuddy" a list of marketing goals and tentative time frame, and she actually asks me how they're going.
And oh yeah, no Scrabble on Facebook until my rooms are done... well, most of the time...
=)
Kk..
Here's some motivation ...... your room books will make you feel like a million dollars. They may start slow, but once people start writing so many people will want to leave their mark and when you need that extra push, reading some old entries (or seeing a new one) will bring a smile to your face and a lightness to your step.
UKMaineiac said:
Here's some motivation ...... your room books will make you feel like a million dollars. They may start slow, but once people start writing so many people will want to leave their mark and when you need that extra push, reading some old entries (or seeing a new one) will bring a smile to your face and a lightness to your step.
No, not that kind of room notebooks! We have those already, and yes, it's wonderful to go back and read them when I'm tired and stressed.
I mean the kind of notebooks that have all kinds of useful information, like my name and phone number, and policies and stuff. Although, obviously if I can be in business 3 years without them, they're not critical!
=)
Kk.
Ooops - Sorry
embaressed_smile.gif

Morticia said:
OK, before I give you my "best tip" I have to admit that I still don't have my room notebooks done... and I've been fully open for two years now! Some day...
I like lists. I have the massive list of all projects that need done, big or small. Then I have the list of what needs done before I leave on vacation. And I have the list of things for today (flip this room, fluff that one, call so and so). And a shopping list.
My only real tip is to create deadlines. I told my state tourism group I'd send them 4000 rack cards within a couple of weeks. It got done, and the reprint is in the works. I invite relatives that I know will be in my personal space... the family room gets picked up. I hire someone to do something... all the prep work has to be done by his arrival. I send my "accountabilibuddy" a list of marketing goals and tentative time frame, and she actually asks me how they're going.
And oh yeah, no Scrabble on Facebook until my rooms are done... well, most of the time...
=)
Kk..
UKMaineiac said:
No, not that kind of room notebooks! We have those already, and yes, it's wonderful to go back and read them when I'm tired and stressed.
I mean the kind of notebooks that have all kinds of useful information, like my name and phone number, and policies and stuff. Although, obviously if I can be in business 3 years without them, they're not critical!
=)
Kk.
No, the room books aren't critical but the guests DO appreciate them! Once you get them done, it's no biggie to update them as needed.
Don't know how many times we had guests thank us for having the restaurant section, places to worship, where to find a 24 hour drug store! It helps to give them all the info too so that they don't have to always come to the innkeepers for every little thing. (Not that I minded providing concierge services, too.)
It also helped me to find out about where to find things in this city.......

Morticia said:
=)
Kk..
That reminds me I have to update my guest information folders!

Got the front side of my rack card done today. Working on the reverse side now. Will go to printer with it tomorrow, if he's not on vacation. I'll let him make it pretty, I'm doing the basic outline.

Got the front side of my rack card done today. Working on the reverse side now. Will go to printer with it tomorrow, if he's not on vacation. I'll let him make it pretty, I'm doing the basic outline..
maxine.jpg

Got the front side of my rack card done today. Working on the reverse side now. Will go to printer with it tomorrow, if he's not on vacation. I'll let him make it pretty, I'm doing the basic outline..
maxine.jpg

I am tempted to do this now....it is sooooooooooooooooo dang HOT!!! blech.
Maxine is always good for a chuckle! Thanks, Innkeep!
teeth_smile.gif

I stay motivated by keeping my availability calendar in plain site and looking at it frequently....I love seeing all those "X's" and there is no better motivation for me than to think I can break last year's occupancy record...Gotta love summer.

Back