Let's talk spicy!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What is the spiciest thing you serve to your guests? Do you serve it randomly, often or on a rare occasion?
Do you provide condiments like hot sauce on the table?
(Disclaimer I can't eat eggs without it)
Have you tested spicy? Another innkeeper used the words savory (to me that means spicy) do you serve a local or regional hot sausage or peppered bacon?

I now put a mild salsa and a bottle of hot sauce on the table when serving my egg bake.

I carry one with.
wink_smile.gif
ole'

Very mild is as spicy as we serve. We did a local spicy sausage a couple of times - too spicy for most. Mild salsa is to spicy for many of our guests.
Savory means not sweet in our vocabulary.

Maybe we can call the others unsavory. tee hee
  • any of several aromatic herbs or subshrubs of the genus Satureja having spikes of flowers attractive to bees
  • dwarf aromatic shrub of Mediterranean regions
  • morally wholesome or acceptable; "a past that was scarcely savory"
  • either of two aromatic herbs of the mint family
  • piquant: having an agreeably pungent taste
  • an aromatic or spicy dish served at the end of dinner or as an hors d'oeuvre
  • mouth-watering: pleasing to the sense of taste
So that definition would be savory means "seasoned"
chef.gif

I can't do spicy at all! My stomach will kill me for days afterwards so I am very conscientious of "heat". I do have hot sauce available for my guests but only a few have ever asked for it. It would be interesting to see how many would use it if I just left a little bottle on the table though.

We always had an assortment of hot sauces on the table. We also offered fresh mild salsa for egg dishes. I only had one person in 2 years request catsup (ketchup) for their eggs.
I made a kind of Southwest fritatta that our guests thought was spicy...me, not so much. haha. :)

I have hot sauce on the table for guests every meal. Some are ecstatic to find it there, most ignore and don;t want it. I am glad for the ecstatic ones though. Went to a groovy new place in a nearby downtown city that had Tabasco on every table outside as we walked up, I was over the moon, I said "I already like this place!" The wood fired pizza oven didn't hurt it either.
wink_smile.gif

I never prepare anything spicy. I have hot sauce available for guests who request it. I am often tempted to put out salsa (I just llluuuuvuvvvvv salsa on eggs myself), but it's one of those things (like biscuits and all manner of grits) you can get ANYwhere here, and I don't really want to serve something they can go just about anywhere and get for breakfast out.

But...Red Handed Jill, case in point the chap here from New Zealand and couple from Iowa and one from the UK and one from Southern CA all on the same midweek night in October.
Only one is staying "southern" on their trip, so this may be the only chance each of them has to try southern style biscuits and gravy. Sure they can have it anywhere but chances are they won't. I already broached the subject and the Kiwi said "gravy for breakfast? I will bring my marmite!" and then "Okay I am willing to try it." :) PS Yes hot sauce goes on the gravy and the scrambled eggs which accompany it. I will use mild sausage in the gravy however, not spicy.

But...Red Handed Jill, case in point the chap here from New Zealand and couple from Iowa and one from the UK and one from Southern CA all on the same midweek night in October.
Only one is staying "southern" on their trip, so this may be the only chance each of them has to try southern style biscuits and gravy. Sure they can have it anywhere but chances are they won't. I already broached the subject and the Kiwi said "gravy for breakfast? I will bring my marmite!" and then "Okay I am willing to try it." :) PS Yes hot sauce goes on the gravy and the scrambled eggs which accompany it. I will use mild sausage in the gravy however, not spicy..
I had a guest request biscuits and gravy the other week and we had a full house so I made it according to "The Best Recipe" cookbook instructions. I had never made the gravy before and had not made similar biscuits for a couple of decades. I served the gravy in a side ramekin for the other guests and just put plenty of butter and jams on the table in case someone was queasy about gravy for breakfast. (I am!) Also served an eggs florentine and sliced fresh peaches. Well, we're in AZ. Half the guests loved it and half never touched the gravy. And only the requesting guest raved about the breakfast, so I missed the usual accolades. So, last time for biscuits and gravy over here. At least the dogs had a great breakfast after all the dishes were cleared. And I'm never serving grits, ever... or sweet tea! Grew up in CA, that explains it.

Only one is staying "southern" on their trip, so this may be the only chance each of them has to try southern style biscuits and gravy. Sure they can have it anywhere but chances are they won't. I already broached the subject and the Kiwi said "gravy for breakfast? I will bring my marmite!" and then "Okay I am willing to try it." :) PS Yes hot sauce goes on the gravy and the scrambled eggs which accompany it. I will use mild sausage in the gravy however, not spicy..
I had a guest request biscuits and gravy the other week and we had a full house so I made it according to "The Best Recipe" cookbook instructions. I had never made the gravy before and had not made similar biscuits for a couple of decades. I served the gravy in a side ramekin for the other guests and just put plenty of butter and jams on the table in case someone was queasy about gravy for breakfast. (I am!) Also served an eggs florentine and sliced fresh peaches. Well, we're in AZ. Half the guests loved it and half never touched the gravy. And only the requesting guest raved about the breakfast, so I missed the usual accolades. So, last time for biscuits and gravy over here. At least the dogs had a great breakfast after all the dishes were cleared. And I'm never serving grits, ever... or sweet tea! Grew up in CA, that explains it.
Pollyanna said:
...and just put plenty of butter and jams on the table in case someone was queasy about gravy for breakfast...
Amazing. I've never found a breakfast place in Arkansas that doesn't have biscuits and milk gravy on the menu. Even McDonald's. I grew up on it, thought everybody did.
I need to get out more.

I wouldn't think that guests would expect biscuits and gravy in Arizona! That's interesting.
I live in the Deep South. Biscuits were a regular on our menu but not so with the sausage gravy. I tried to serve things that had a Southern element but not what you could get just anywhere around here. :)

Joey Bloggs said:
Only one is staying "southern" on their trip, so this may be the only chance each of them has to try southern style biscuits and gravy. Sure they can have it anywhere but chances are they won't. I already broached the subject and the Kiwi said "gravy for breakfast? I will bring my marmite!" and then "Okay I am willing to try it." :) PS Yes hot sauce goes on the gravy and the scrambled eggs which accompany it. I will use mild sausage in the gravy however, not spicy.
Point taken. We had just had a couple from overseas who probably fit that description - their chance for a genuine, home cooked regional breakfast. They were happy with what I gave them (I *do* like it when guests eat heartily </confession>). I let them know how most all the ingredients were local, thought they might find that interesting, but didn't give them a particularly Texan-styled breakfast.

We put tabasco sauce in all the egg dishes and have a 'small' bottle for the table if anyone asks. We do serve peppered bacon- yum!

Joey Bloggs said:
Point taken. We had just had a couple from overseas who probably fit that description - their chance for a genuine, home cooked regional breakfast. They were happy with what I gave them (I *do* like it when guests eat heartily </confession>). I let them know how most all the ingredients were local, thought they might find that interesting, but didn't give them a particularly Texan-styled breakfast..
Prior to innkeeping, I was a non-cook. For the first 6 months after opening I was glued to my 30 year old copy of the Joy of Cooking. Actually, my background of home cooking was not that great either. Dad was a general surgeon who wanted supper on the table when he got home, which could be any time between 5:30 and 7:30, so Mom had to have food that could be prepared quickly (canned green beans, anyone) or could be left in the oven for however long. So we had lots of mac and cheese, meatloaf, and the butcher special cut porkchops as thin as possible so they could be incinerated in the broiler (fear of trichinosis). The salt shaker was always at his place at the table, and he was the only one who used it.
So, when I went away to college in Tennessee I discovered the joy of vegetables, the joy of porkchops that actually were juicy, etc. I also was introduced to sausage gravy and cheese grits. Neither of those items were to be found in my Joy of Cooking.
Since I'm now living back in the midwest, I can't say that many of my guests would expect sausage gravy and biscuits, but I was reading up on gravy in my cookbook, and one liquid that can be used in gravy making is beer, so I had to try that out. Actually beer gravy tastes great! So, I have made a yankee version of sausage gravy... I use about 2/3 beer and 1/3 half and half, and in addition to sausage, I throw in some mushrooms that have been sauted in wine, and serve it over a toasted english muffin. Works well in the rotation if they're staying more than a couple of nights.

We got some chorizo the other day...thinking maybe we can put a little bit with the regular sausage in one of our egg bakes..will have to try before we serve it. I don't mind spicy, I just don't like HOT and so hot it tickles your tounge and burns your throat...but spicy I can do.

Joey Bloggs said:
Point taken. We had just had a couple from overseas who probably fit that description - their chance for a genuine, home cooked regional breakfast. They were happy with what I gave them (I *do* like it when guests eat heartily </confession>). I let them know how most all the ingredients were local, thought they might find that interesting, but didn't give them a particularly Texan-styled breakfast..
Prior to innkeeping, I was a non-cook. For the first 6 months after opening I was glued to my 30 year old copy of the Joy of Cooking. Actually, my background of home cooking was not that great either. Dad was a general surgeon who wanted supper on the table when he got home, which could be any time between 5:30 and 7:30, so Mom had to have food that could be prepared quickly (canned green beans, anyone) or could be left in the oven for however long. So we had lots of mac and cheese, meatloaf, and the butcher special cut porkchops as thin as possible so they could be incinerated in the broiler (fear of trichinosis). The salt shaker was always at his place at the table, and he was the only one who used it.
So, when I went away to college in Tennessee I discovered the joy of vegetables, the joy of porkchops that actually were juicy, etc. I also was introduced to sausage gravy and cheese grits. Neither of those items were to be found in my Joy of Cooking.
Since I'm now living back in the midwest, I can't say that many of my guests would expect sausage gravy and biscuits, but I was reading up on gravy in my cookbook, and one liquid that can be used in gravy making is beer, so I had to try that out. Actually beer gravy tastes great! So, I have made a yankee version of sausage gravy... I use about 2/3 beer and 1/3 half and half, and in addition to sausage, I throw in some mushrooms that have been sauted in wine, and serve it over a toasted english muffin. Works well in the rotation if they're staying more than a couple of nights.
Oh my gosh....beer gravy. Can't wait to show this to DH, and I KNOW this is going on our rotation!!

We got some chorizo the other day...thinking maybe we can put a little bit with the regular sausage in one of our egg bakes..will have to try before we serve it. I don't mind spicy, I just don't like HOT and so hot it tickles your tounge and burns your throat...but spicy I can do..
We've been having an amazing reception lately to Chorizo & Eggs.....chorizo scrambled with eggs and topped with a bit of cheese, served with avocado & tomato and a tortillla, perhaps a bit of salsa and sour cream. But, full disclosure, we do a menu style breakfast, so those who don't want slightly spicy can ask for something different. I imagine it would be different if I expected everyone to like it.

We got some chorizo the other day...thinking maybe we can put a little bit with the regular sausage in one of our egg bakes..will have to try before we serve it. I don't mind spicy, I just don't like HOT and so hot it tickles your tounge and burns your throat...but spicy I can do..
We've been having an amazing reception lately to Chorizo & Eggs.....chorizo scrambled with eggs and topped with a bit of cheese, served with avocado & tomato and a tortillla, perhaps a bit of salsa and sour cream. But, full disclosure, we do a menu style breakfast, so those who don't want slightly spicy can ask for something different. I imagine it would be different if I expected everyone to like it.
InnBloom said:
...we do a menu style breakfast, so those who don't want slightly spicy can ask for something different.
Yes, that's how I'm planning to do it, in an effort to please everybody and not have to do as much special work for special diets. If they don't want the spicy, pork-filled "special", they can pick one of the cereals and yogurt and fruit, or eggs and toast, or we can send them with a voucher to have breakfast at the bistro a block from us.
Somedays I just want an egg and toast, regardless of how great the special looks!

Back