Letting my dog go...one of the hardest things I've ever done...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been on here in a few days so I just read this, but I wanted to extend my sympathy too. I think most of us have been where you are so we all can totally relate as to how you are feeling
broken_heart.gif
they are part of the family and are missed when they are gone.....((((HUGS))))

18 1/2 years, WOW!!! You obviously did a wonderful job raising her and gave her a very happy life. I am so sorry for your loss and hope that time will help lessen the grief...be kind to yourself and take the time to really mourn her. I hope it gets better each day for you.
broken_heart.gif

Oh Sue, you know how I feel!!!! Losing a member of your family is sooooooo hard. BIG HUGS TO YOU!

Samster,
You have my deepest and most sincere sympathy and admiration.
We had almost the identical day about two years ago and again last year.
Non animal lovers just don't get how hard "that" day is for us.
I hope your girl has met our Wilma and Phat Chance and they are chasing each other playing bitey face.
Two months ago we got back in the saddle and got Lola from a neighbor.
Half Black Lab, half Rottweiler, she's gonna be a very big girl.
How the heck do you post photos on this site?
DaddysGirlAtFourMonths.jpg
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
https://www.innspiring.com/how-to/add-photo
Thanks swirt,
pretty simple once I exempted the site from the pop-up blocker
"Two months ago we got back in the saddle and got Lola from a neighbor.
Half Black Lab, half Rottweiler, she's gonna be a very big girl."
DaddysGirlAtFourMonths_0.jpg

Oh Samster, I am sooooo sorry for your loss.
broken_heart.gif
We too lost our beloved "Aggie" of 11 years (the best little beagle in the world) at the end of February this year. I had to take the day off from work because I knew that I would be a basket case. Lucky for me it was a Friday, so I had the entire weekend to recover. It was still hard on Monday though when I had to go back to work and face the kind words of my co-workers. I cry very, very easily so it was still hard for me on Monday but not as bad as it was on Friday when we had to make the decision to go ahead and let her go. She came down sick very suddenly The Vet did exploratory surgery on her thinking that she had a pancreatic torsion, but found nothing and then her liver started shutting down, we knew that there was nothing to bring her back. So we made the gut wrenching decision to let her go. It is definately a lot quieter here without her and we miss her braying bark at us when we come home at night, scolding us for being gone so long! Coming into the house, for me, was the hardest thing to do, knowing that she would not be there to scold me. We still miss her, she was such a happy go lucky little gal and loved to chase the geese on the lake out back! We sometimes think of getting a new dog, but it will be very hard to replace her. She was one of a kind! I am sure you are feeling the way I did and it is okay to cry over the stupidest things. It will get better with time, but I know you will still miss your sweet doggy terribly! Keep your chin up!
regular_smile.gif

Samster,
I hope your girl has met our Wilma and Phat Chance and they are chasing each other playing bitey face.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks swirt,

That's a cute puppy! My brother got a cross between a black lab and mastiff. He's 18 months and weighs 125 lbs.

Samster,
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks swirt,

That's a cute puppy! My brother got a cross between a black lab and mastiff. He's 18 months and weighs 125 lbs.
Thanks, she's a real sweetheart already.
It was must have been meant to be because Lola is a almost a 50/50 cross of our last two dogs rest their souls.
Wilma was a Black Lab and Phat Chance, a 165 lb. pile of the most lovable, docile, gentle giant, half Mastiff, half Rottweiler.
He lived to be 13 and the jokes about him that it was a "fat chance, he'd ever missed a meal" and its "Phat" Chance because he's sensitive about his weight" still make us laugh whenever we're reminded of him.

Samster- big hugs to you and your family as you grieve your loss. Soon, the rough edges of the grief will fade into the golden memories of the great times and the love you shared.

I am so very sorry. This is sad news. Hugs to you and your family. May God give you the strength to meet each challenge as you get through this difficult time.

Samster,
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks swirt,

Nice puppy! I love labs.

I am so very sorry. This is sad news. Hugs to you and your family. May God give you the strength to meet each challenge as you get through this difficult time..
Thank you sooooooooooo much to all you pets lovers on the forum. I told my husband today that it's weird to only hear 4 paws of clicky toes around the house.
sad_smile.gif

I feel for you. Not long ago I had to call the vet to come and take are of our 18 year old cat. My dog was looking for him for days.
I always feel so terrible, but it is more humane to let them go in peace and no longer feel the pain.
But it is so very difficult to make that decision.
RIki

Thanks for sharing Samster. You've reminded us to appreciate our own pets that much more, while we still have them with us.

Thanks for sharing Samster. You've reminded us to appreciate our own pets that much more, while we still have them with us..
Thanks, SP. My other dog is really being my little buddy for the last couple of days. Of course, I'm his service human...he is deaf and going blind but gets around pretty well otherwise at 15! He has developed this arthritis in his lower back in the last 6 mos or so too, so he takes Rimadyl twice a day. He can still go up and down short flights of stairs though. He seems very content and still does his yard patrol. The cat figured out that he can't see her so he can't but her anymore. haha!
Every day is a little better but this morning since my dh is back at work, I kept feeling like I was forgetting to do something. It was the part of the morning routine having to do with Brit
cry_smile.gif
They really become such a part of our lives and demand so little in return.....

So sorry Sue. (((((Hugs))))
It seems that our pets all age at the same time. Our last group died within a year. Now for our current crew, we have had a long time but they are all 7 & 8 so the same thing will probably happen again.
It is so hard when our pets age.
Not pets, but I am one of the youngest cousins and our family reunion is this weekend. Only a few will be here because some are gone and others have major health problems. But we decided to just keeping on for those that are still here. Otherwise we just don't get to see each other if we don't plan it.

My heart is breaking for you. Last June we had to put down our 10 year old golden retriever. My husband and I and our 3 children were all with her. It was one of the hardest days of our lives. In September we got another golden and she is wonderful, but I still miss my good friend...

My heart is breaking for you. Last June we had to put down our 10 year old golden retriever. My husband and I and our 3 children were all with her. It was one of the hardest days of our lives. In September we got another golden and she is wonderful, but I still miss my good friend....
Thanks. We still have our 15 year old male Cocker Spaniel and our porch kitty that acts like a dog sometimes :) When our other dog goes it will be awhile before we get another dog. I think because they lived so long, they really become so much a part of the family and I don't think I'll be ready for another one. Unless a dog comes along adopts us...

Back