Letting my dog go...one of the hardest things I've ever done...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I'm not a cRaZy dog person but today was a difficult day pet-wise. Our 18 1/2 year old dog is up in the Great Dog Park in the Sky as of late this morning.
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
She had been failing during the last couple of months because of arthritis in her back but continued to eat well, wag her tail, could get up and walk around, enjoy the porch and the yard a bit. Yesterday, she didn't really eat anything and couldn't really stand on her own. We decided that we had to let her go. She enjoyed the wind in the car this morning but I just couldn't give her enough hugs and pets. The vet handled things well and the vet tech that was there with us is a young man who has really taken good care of her since we've been here. She'll be cremated and I will plant a little garden in the yard for her. I am crying over the stupidest things. My other dog who is deaf and almost blind but otherwise OK is totally confused. And the cat keeps looking for the other dog. Thanks for listening....

I am sorry to hear of your loss. So many can not understand the sorrow that comes with loosing a pet. They have missed the companionship a dog can provide. Always there to greet you, tail wagging. We lost our collie a few years ago and still look around to see where she is.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. So many can not understand the sorrow that comes with loosing a pet. They have missed the companionship a dog can provide. Always there to greet you, tail wagging. We lost our collie a few years ago and still look around to see where she is..
I can relate. I lost my girl, Frisky a Spitz, two years ago Christmas. I didn't even know she was sick. She was 11 years old and just stopped eating. The vet said it was canine lymphoma, a form of cancer which is common in dogs and similar to leukemia. I still have her son, who is now 10 and I'm hoping he didn't inherit it at well. They all have such unique personalities that you never really get over losing them.

I'm sure the things you find yourself crying over are absolutely NOT stupid. Folks who have never enjoyed the unwavering companionship of a pet cannot understand. My kitty is 18 and I know that, unfortunately, within the next few years I will have to adjust to life without her. She is a wonderful friend to me and she's my baby. I've posted it before but, in the hopes you may find some comfort within it, here it is again.
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
www.rainbowbridge.com

Samster,
You have my deepest and most sincere sympathy and admiration.
We had almost the identical day about two years ago and again last year.
Non animal lovers just don't get how hard "that" day is for us.
I hope your girl has met our Wilma and Phat Chance and they are chasing each other playing bitey face.
Two months ago we got back in the saddle and got Lola from a neighbor.
Half Black Lab, half Rottweiler, she's gonna be a very big girl.
How the heck do you post photos on this site?
DaddysGirlAtFourMonths.jpg

I'm so sorry. It's a terrible heartbreak to lose a four-legged member of the family. Hugs to you and the rest of the pack.

Thanks, everyone. I am really a mess. She was absolutely the best dog. We adopted her as a rescue at 11 months and she had been abused which is totally baffling to me! She was so sweet! She was such a great dog that we got another one who is now 15 years old. We've built vets additions on their houses because of him, but Brit just got old. Almost 19 is a long life for a Cocker Spaniel...
If we didn't have guests, I'd be curled up in bed under a blanket....

So sorry to hear, Samster. It's obvious how much you loved her. Hopefully soon all you'll think about are the wonderful times and you'll just smile from then on when you think about her. This time will pass.
Jay

Samster, I am sorry to be so late asking you to accept our condolences. When we had to do the kindest thing for our Sparky It was hard on both of us. DH went from "what is THIS?" (he did not want a pet, especially a house dog) to being more broken up by it than I was and it hurt me too, even being farm girl. We had him 16 years - it has been 15 years now and we still talk about him as the smartest and best dog ever! I think each of us feels that way about our "baby".

I am so sorry for your grief right now, but be assured by a gal who has been there...that very soon the fond memories and stories you'll tell about your friend will be warming your heart. I wish I could give you a big hug and swap dog stories with you in person.

So sorry to hear, Samster. It's obvious how much you loved her. Hopefully soon all you'll think about are the wonderful times and you'll just smile from then on when you think about her. This time will pass.
Jay.
Thanks again, Jay, and everyone else. My other dog has finally settled down right at my feet...in fact he is lying right on my right foot so that he can tell if I get up. :) She was the sweetest dog and I just can't believe she's not here, but she needed to go to that Great Big Dog Park. It's the best place for her....it would have been selfish of us to try to keep her with us any longer.

Samster, you are very brave and your Brit was a lucky girl to have had such a long and happy life in your family. I applaud you for being able to say, you had to "let her go." It's true that soon your thoughts of her will be happy memories instead of the pain you feel now. I wish you peace.

Samster, you are very brave and your Brit was a lucky girl to have had such a long and happy life in your family. I applaud you for being able to say, you had to "let her go." It's true that soon your thoughts of her will be happy memories instead of the pain you feel now. I wish you peace..
Thanks, I'm not that brave but it wasn't easy.
sad_smile.gif
It helps to know that other folks have either been there or understand....

We had to put our old border collie down last October, he was pretty sick, 14 yrs. He did his yard patrol up until two days before, every morning, such a good boy! I feel your pain! This was our kid's first dog too, even harder...
cry_smile.gif

Samster. Thanks for giving her a great 18 1/2 years. {{HUGS}}

Samster,
You have my deepest and most sincere sympathy and admiration.
We had almost the identical day about two years ago and again last year.
Non animal lovers just don't get how hard "that" day is for us.
I hope your girl has met our Wilma and Phat Chance and they are chasing each other playing bitey face.
Two months ago we got back in the saddle and got Lola from a neighbor.
Half Black Lab, half Rottweiler, she's gonna be a very big girl.
DaddysGirlAtFourMonths.jpg
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
https://www.innspiring.com/how-to/add-photo

We had to put our old border collie down last October, he was pretty sick, 14 yrs. He did his yard patrol up until two days before, every morning, such a good boy! I feel your pain! This was our kid's first dog too, even harder...
cry_smile.gif
Same here...she was our son's first dog and then we got the second one who is 3 years younger that really bonded with our son. Funny you said "yard patrol", that's what he does every day too. The dog, not our son :)

Back