Library?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgirouard

Reaction score
Do you have one, or a collection of media items you allow guests to borrow? We visited a BnB that had one, they allowed guests to borrow books to read while visitng and DVDs to play on in room players. They also had board games in there, if I remember correctly.
At first I thought this was a great idea. Then I thought, well, it's like anything else, you wouldn't want to put anything in there you don't want to lose. I think people are apt to take a book home if they haven't finished it, or to accidentally (or not) pack a DVD. By the same token, I suppose some might leave a book in exchange they brought to read and finished, but it seems that library loss could get expensive.
If you have one, how does it work? Are you happy with it? FWIW, the BnB that we visited that had the library - no longer in business, so I can't ask them.

I have from day one had books to be "stolen". All reading material (magazines and books - hardbacks only BTW) have been there for guests to read and take with them since one usually cannot finish a book during their stay. Take it and as many others as you want. There is a 4 shelf bookcase in the upstairs hall and a 3-shelf bookrack in the Harris Room in the reading nook.
I buy books at the Friends of the Library sale, clearance rack at Half Price Books, and some guests have brough me some. I usually buy books I want to read and then take them upstairs. I rarely spend more than $2 for a book and usually 25 or 50 cents.

We offer a large video library, and have never had a problem with loss.

yes. i did.
a very large one.
what happened was, in the later years of my dad's life, he joined four book clubs and got duplicate books. he told me to 'get all these extra books out of here,' so i did. a couple hundred. my partner had a lot of romance novels and 'beach trash'. and i picked up free or 10 cent books around.
i had movies ... about 30 for guests and i had my own movies that they could come ask me about borrowing.
i also had jigsaw puzzles and board games ... monopoly, scrabble ... and some of those brain teaser sculpture puzzles. i liked leaving out a puzzle and different guests would stop and work on it. or i would when it was slow.
i had a little sign in the library that a book could be taken or traded, to please speak with the innkeeper ~ my favorite thing was the trade. some few books i did not want them to take away and i would explain that. most i said, 'please take it with you.'
one i remember was an old carpentry book of my late husband's. i didn't realize it was in the library. a man wanted to borrow it and i was worried. i explained the sentiment attached to it even though it was just a dog eared old book and he promised to return it. which he did, very carefully wrapped and with a lovely note. but i put that book away in my room upon its return. any precious books, don't put in the library.
get a name and address stamp and stamp all your books so if someone takes one away accidentally they will remember where they took it from.
i have found that if you expect the best from people, most will behave that way.

We have two...one that is a mix of fiction, etc. that people are welcome to take or trade. Then we have a set in the parlor that is all hardback, lots of history titles that are not to be taken. We have just a few board games and no DVD's. Our really isn't a "hang around" sort of place, there 's a lot to do here, but if I were a destination I think I would have a DVD player in each room and a library to choose from.
Things leave ALL the time. It's hard to keep track of, but I think if you go with the "don't put anything out you absolutely can't stand to lose" you will be ok.
SS, I love, love, love your attitude "Expect the best from people and most will behave that way." We just have unfortunately found the exact opposite to be true, at least here in this phase of our lives. People just behave badly, period. Not all people, and not all the time...but it is the rule rather than the exception here. So we learned the very hard way not to share any items we couldn't do without...like family heirlooms (which were also stolen our first year
cry_smile.gif
).

Yes we did and several innkeeepr friends of ours also have large video libraries. NO complaints and No problems.

We have a ton of games, a bunch of videos, and lots of books. Some are from my mom when she passed away, some mine. There's one shelf in the back hall of antique books that I'd rather people didn't take but they are rarely even looked at. Most of the games and videos are from yard sales and are rarely used. I wouldn't mind if one walked.
I guess we have two libraries, actually... a collection of books in the dining room that I mostly wouldn't mind walking and a collection in the library that I mostly would. But in the end it's just a book... all of them replaceable.
=)
Kk.

We have two...one that is a mix of fiction, etc. that people are welcome to take or trade. Then we have a set in the parlor that is all hardback, lots of history titles that are not to be taken. We have just a few board games and no DVD's. Our really isn't a "hang around" sort of place, there 's a lot to do here, but if I were a destination I think I would have a DVD player in each room and a library to choose from.
Things leave ALL the time. It's hard to keep track of, but I think if you go with the "don't put anything out you absolutely can't stand to lose" you will be ok.
SS, I love, love, love your attitude "Expect the best from people and most will behave that way." We just have unfortunately found the exact opposite to be true, at least here in this phase of our lives. People just behave badly, period. Not all people, and not all the time...but it is the rule rather than the exception here. So we learned the very hard way not to share any items we couldn't do without...like family heirlooms (which were also stolen our first year
cry_smile.gif
)..
oh, innsider. i am sorry. i would be heartbroken if guests stole things. i must qualify and say i had people take weird things ... my supply of feminine hygiene products my first year - that was crazy - i let a woman use my personal bathroom and instead of taking 'a couple' ... she left me an empty box. and the woman who packed her suitcase with our tp. that's the one whose suitcase popped open, spilling all the contents down the stairs. she also had soaps and things from other places. something wrong with that lady.
but books? blankets? decorative items? what did they take?
that is good advice for anyone, don't put out for guests anything you couldn't bear to lose or have broken.

cry_smile.gif
)..
oh, innsider. i am sorry. i would be heartbroken if guests stole things. i must qualify and say i had people take weird things ... my supply of feminine hygiene products my first year - that was crazy - i let a woman use my personal bathroom and instead of taking 'a couple' ... she left me an empty box. and the woman who packed her suitcase with our tp. that's the one whose suitcase popped open, spilling all the contents down the stairs. she also had soaps and things from other places. something wrong with that lady.
that is good advice for anyone, don't put out for guests anything you couldn't bear to lose or have broken.
We sell mugs, magnets and other "logo" items, we keep one of each out in our gift area...these get taken all the time and it is impossible to tell who took it.
Our Inn is mentioned in a local book and we keep a copy of it in each room. These leave on an almost weekly basis. It's a $5 paperback book that we SELL! They take 'em anyway.
Decorative items leave often...this is what happened with a family Christmas ornament...it walked away and I was just crushed...this was our first year and a lesson learned the very hard way. Wish I'd had this forum BEFORE we started!!!

I have books, magazines and games. If I don't want it to walk I don't leave it in the libary and games area.

Our largest room has a DVD player and monitor. We keep the 'guest library' of DVDs in a binder designed for that purpose, and leave it in our upstairs hallway for guests to peruse and play if they like. So far, only one couple has played a video, (over 50 titles, mix of 40s to now, action, drama, humor). No losses thus far....we wondered if we should put in cable for guests. We asked several when we started. Not one person thought it was needed. Wifi, on the other hand, is MUCH appreciated.

That's why you buy your books at Library sales.
We have books in the cottages. I actually do not know if books are taken. Often guests ask if they can bring a book back on their next visit and a number of guests have brought with them boxes full of books for the cottages.
Long story short, it all works out

cry_smile.gif
)..
I started putting a few feminine items under the sink in each of my bathrooms. This way if there is a surprise "visitor" the guests will have something to use instead of messing up my sheets.

We have TVs in all our rooms and each room has some kind of player (VHS, DVD, or combo) and I have a lending library of DVDs and tapes. Knock wood, to date nothing has walked. Guests really appreciate them and can't believe that they are FREE! I try to pick up current DVDs from time to time, either previously viewed or just marked down for around $5 each.
Books and games...rarely get used. I think because people are out & about here. Every room has a few books that go with the room "theme" and people will look at those. (For example, I have an Asian room and have books on a few countries and a Chinese newspaper). I have a few Sudoku and crossword books from the dollar store and a few folks have picked them up but they leave those here too.
I guess we've been lucky that none of our decorative items have gone walking, but I also expect the best from folks and would be surprised if that happened. I don't have anything really precious in guest areas though.

i put supplies in each guest bathroom as well. this was a guest using my bathroom ...
but regarding the sheet staining problem .... sometimes women are caught unaware in the middle of sleeping. especially in mid-life. horribly embarrassing.

If you are worried about guests stealing then don't operate a B&B and invite strangers into your home. I have a lot more valuable stuff than a book a guest might want.
Let them take the books home. In my very early B&B going days that was what I loved about the B&B's I went to, take a book leave a book. For some reason that is not the norm on the forum? It used to be the norm. B&B's were for book lovers!
I have an author signed (he stayed here and wrote a nice note to me personally) book with two narrative cd's that I lend to guests every week to listen to as they travel this area and it always comes back to me. It is one I want to keep for memento value - but I want our guests to enjoy it too!

When I remodel the living room I will have a wall of books and games. Right now I have 4 shelves of books and they are packed in there. The end tables are full. There is a second bookshelf on the wall that is full.
I also have a large magazine rack and each room has a stack of 5-6 current mags.
If I could toss the TV and make the whole living room into a library, I would. In the inn and in my space!
I've found more books left behind than I've lost. I've told guests to take books I knew they couldn't finish in a couple of days.

Our largest room has a DVD player and monitor. We keep the 'guest library' of DVDs in a binder designed for that purpose, and leave it in our upstairs hallway for guests to peruse and play if they like. So far, only one couple has played a video, (over 50 titles, mix of 40s to now, action, drama, humor). No losses thus far....we wondered if we should put in cable for guests. We asked several when we started. Not one person thought it was needed. Wifi, on the other hand, is MUCH appreciated..
Skamokawa said:
Our largest room has a DVD player and monitor. We keep the 'guest library' of DVDs in a binder designed for that purpose, and leave it in our upstairs hallway for guests to peruse and play if they like. So far, only one couple has played a video, (over 50 titles, mix of 40s to now, action, drama, humor). No losses thus far....we wondered if we should put in cable for guests. We asked several when we started. Not one person thought it was needed. Wifi, on the other hand, is MUCH appreciated.
Where do you get your DVD's? This is something I'm thinking about starting...a DVD library.

Our largest room has a DVD player and monitor. We keep the 'guest library' of DVDs in a binder designed for that purpose, and leave it in our upstairs hallway for guests to peruse and play if they like. So far, only one couple has played a video, (over 50 titles, mix of 40s to now, action, drama, humor). No losses thus far....we wondered if we should put in cable for guests. We asked several when we started. Not one person thought it was needed. Wifi, on the other hand, is MUCH appreciated..
Skamokawa said:
Where do you get your DVD's? This is something I'm thinking about starting...a DVD library.
Many of the book stores have DVD sections. I just bought some at Books-A-Mollion but have seen them at Half Price Books, Borders, and Barnes & Noble. You may even find them at Target and stores like that. Big Lots has them - but nothing i would buy although there may hve been some kid stuff there. I will have to go look cometo think of it......

ditto on the library suggestion
i ended up putting older tv's in a couple areas with vcrs (the vcrs and the video tapes i got for a 'song' because everyone was switching to dvd's) ...
i got really inexpensive dvd's from these big bargain bins at walmart - you have to shuffle through them. they weren't located in the movie section, they were near the cash registers.
another place to try is blockbuster video or other video places ~ they sell the old ones off. now i wonder what will happen as they move to vending machines, etc. be watchful for a store closing.
christmas tree shops and building 19 (massachusetts only i think) are another source and yard sales
it's like anything ..., once you have it in mind, you start to see them.
most popular were older 'classics' ... i'd hear them playing over and over ... my fair lady, sound of music, casablanca, wizard of oz ... and things like seasonal charlie brown, christmas specials like rudolph .... 'chick flicks' steel magnolias, you've got mail.
i had a microwave in the guest library with packets of popcorn .... extremely popular. i'd often be getting ready for bed and guests would come ask if i wanted to join them for a movie. sometimes i would for a little while but then i'd have to slip away.

Back