Limited Dairy Tolerance?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Just had a reservation come through online, and in the Special Needs section (where it CLEARLY says if you have dietary restrictions to please tell us what you CAN eat in addition to what you CANNOT eat!) the person just put "Limited Dairy Tolerance".
I just confirmed it and requested more specific info, like how many of you does this apply to, can you eat ANY dairy as ALL of our breakfasts contain eggs and milk (which is also clearly stated on the website!!!!).
Obviously I will try to get specifics from the guest but what would you take this to mean?

Maybe they just like and dislike certain dairy products..who knows? Getting too specific will make you a short order cook. Sometimes you have to draw the line about what you can and cannot provide for guests.

I'd say they don't want something excessively cheesy or milk-based. However, this is the year I go after guests for specifics, so you did what I would have done. Hopefully, your guests will answer, mine usually don't! If no response via email, call. That's my new resolution for this year...stop being a mind reader.
That said, I completely forgot to ask guests who are coming in May anything about diet. IF they read their confirm, they'll see the question.

Again "You just eat what you can eat, leave the rest, it won't hurt my feelings one bit" that was last year's motto - it took 5 to 6 years to grasp that after bending over backwards for people who would not eat anything anyway. I won't be ANYONES personal dietition - even my own kids, don't like it? cowboy up!
I think last year I stated something to the effect "At these rates you have two choices for breakfast - 1)Take it, or 2) leave it."
Go to Denny's and try to SUBSTITUTE something? It won't happen. Maybe we should charge for changes in the regular menu?
At Denny's you get your check where it will be $19 for two chintzy greasy breakfasts with no fruit, and lousy food service coffee PLUS TIP YOUR WAITRESS. Then come back and complain! I think we go way way over the top for our guests.
This is an open forum and guests are cringing right now - good guests please it is not about you, it is about the difficult guests. We love you good guests! We go to much effort to serve a delicious and beautiful meal for you. :)

I just stripped a room with pizza boxes, soda cans, olive jars and pitts all over, plus two waste basketfuls of more snack items. Please....tell me again what YOU do not like for breakfast. Fogettaboutit.
chef.gif

Maybe they just like and dislike certain dairy products..who knows? Getting too specific will make you a short order cook. Sometimes you have to draw the line about what you can and cannot provide for guests..
Yeah, I told them what I can do and told them they're welcome to bring anything they want for themselves. I don't even mind doing the short-order thing but because our kitchen is so small I need to know the day before breakfast what I'll be making. Good grief, they're staying 3 days too...here we go again!

I just stripped a room with pizza boxes, soda cans, olive jars and pitts all over, plus two waste basketfuls of more snack items. Please....tell me again what YOU do not like for breakfast. Fogettaboutit.
chef.gif
Ew! I just replaced my teeny tiny dining room wastecan (which is intended strictly for tea bag wrappers, water cups, etc.) with a slightly larger one because I'm sick of people just putting bags of garbage on the floor next to it! We don't WANT your large trash, keep it in your car and get rid of it when you stop for gas...GET IT???? I honestly did not mean to turn this into a rant...but good points, I"m not a mind reader and if they don't answer me they'll get what I serve them for breakfast.

chef.gif
Ew! I just replaced my teeny tiny dining room wastecan (which is intended strictly for tea bag wrappers, water cups, etc.) with a slightly larger one because I'm sick of people just putting bags of garbage on the floor next to it! We don't WANT your large trash, keep it in your car and get rid of it when you stop for gas...GET IT???? I honestly did not mean to turn this into a rant...but good points, I"m not a mind reader and if they don't answer me they'll get what I serve them for breakfast.
Here's a trash rant from before you were on here (apologies to everyone who's tired of hearing this)...
Guests came here to pick up their son at the end of the Appalachian Trail. They had been mailing things to him along the route, so he was fully provided for. When they left, they didn't want to have to take anything back on the plane with them so they FILLED my 40 gallon trash can. And what didn't fit IN the trash can they left on top.
Now I know I'm lucky in that they didn't leave it in the room, but still. At least ASK if you can dump 3 months' worth of your son's trash before doing so.
We also have a small trash can for tea things and in the morning it is usually filled with McD's bags, Fivebucks cups, etc. If someone walks in the door with trash from their car, I intercept them before it ends up stinking up the room. I keep a large trash container in the laundry room for things like this.
What I may do this summer is label the door behind which we hide the trash cans. 'Trash here.' Then maybe the stuff won't even come in the house. Because we're doing our own dump runs now (and saving about $75/month) I don't care if someone empties the car, as long as they don't do it in the house. Just don't leave me with 3 months' worth!

chef.gif
Here's a trash rant from before you were on here (apologies to everyone who's tired of hearing this)...
Guests came here to pick up their son at the end of the Appalachian Trail. They had been mailing things to him along the route, so he was fully provided for. When they left, they didn't want to have to take anything back on the plane with them so they FILLED my 40 gallon trash can. And what didn't fit IN the trash can they left on top.
Now I know I'm lucky in that they didn't leave it in the room, but still. At least ASK if you can dump 3 months' worth of your son's trash before doing so.
We also have a small trash can for tea things and in the morning it is usually filled with McD's bags, Fivebucks cups, etc. If someone walks in the door with trash from their car, I intercept them before it ends up stinking up the room. I keep a large trash container in the laundry room for things like this.
What I may do this summer is label the door behind which we hide the trash cans. 'Trash here.' Then maybe the stuff won't even come in the house. Because we're doing our own dump runs now (and saving about $75/month) I don't care if someone empties the car, as long as they don't do it in the house. Just don't leave me with 3 months' worth!
Good grief! How rude.
If you are doing your own trash runs anyway and don't mind if people put stuff in your bins then I would definitely label it "TRASH HERE", it should hopefully stop the big stuff from coming in the door.

We have a ton of guests who are here before flying back across the pond. They bring everything they bought and brought in and sort it all out in their room and repack for flying home. I get this I really do. Shoes they bought in boxes - we get the boxes in the rooms, etc.
On ocassion someone will use our bins in the parking area to put their vehicle rubbish in. The only issue I have, as you know how I am, is don't dump soda and sticky drinks into the bins, use a trash bag first. Yes we really want flies and maggots - which is what we will get since they NEVER close the lid, just plop it on there.
Guests often walk down the stairs upon check out with a bag of garbage and reach forward to hand it to ME or DH and say "Here, we didn't want to leave this in the room" and honestly - Dh will tell them exactly where the bin is right next to their cars in the parking area...pls deposit it in there, thanks, and walks away. WHy should they hand it to us and we walk out our door to go to where their car is? Anyway, he does it well and I appreciate it, he is not facetious at all. :)

We have a ton of guests who are here before flying back across the pond. They bring everything they bought and brought in and sort it all out in their room and repack for flying home. I get this I really do. Shoes they bought in boxes - we get the boxes in the rooms, etc.
On ocassion someone will use our bins in the parking area to put their vehicle rubbish in. The only issue I have, as you know how I am, is don't dump soda and sticky drinks into the bins, use a trash bag first. Yes we really want flies and maggots - which is what we will get since they NEVER close the lid, just plop it on there.
Guests often walk down the stairs upon check out with a bag of garbage and reach forward to hand it to ME or DH and say "Here, we didn't want to leave this in the room" and honestly - Dh will tell them exactly where the bin is right next to their cars in the parking area...pls deposit it in there, thanks, and walks away. WHy should they hand it to us and we walk out our door to go to where their car is? Anyway, he does it well and I appreciate it, he is not facetious at all. :).
Given the location, I am used to doing a LOT of recycling of boxes and bags. And we do get a lot of guests who hand us their trash on the way out the door, for the same reason...they didn't want to leave it in the room. To them, handing it to me is better than me finding it in the room. 'Look, I'm not a total slob. I didn't just leave this for you to find.'
Our trash isn't as easy to find so it's easier to take it than to tell them were it goes. Unless I label the door.
Guest trash is an amazing thing. They threw THAT out? Really? Why? SUITCASES! I can't tell you how many suitcases I end up with every year!
Some guests neatly fold every shopping bag. Some stack the empty shoe boxes inside each other. In other rooms it looks like Filene's Basement. Tags, plastic wrap, packing materials flung to the walls and under the beds. Discarded clothing on the floor. (Like I have some use for your grungy clothing???)
And what, a new reader may ask, does all of THIS have to do with a dairy intolerance?
embaressed_smile.gif

My comment about guests unable to eat certain foods then find their room loaded with trash from all the foods they can't really eat, so they say. :) It does tie in, really it does.

My comment about guests unable to eat certain foods then find their room loaded with trash from all the foods they can't really eat, so they say. :) It does tie in, really it does..
Joey Bloggs said:
My comment about guests unable to eat certain foods then find their room loaded with trash from all the foods they can't really eat, so they say. :) It does tie in, really it does.
Oh, I missed the tie-in to what they eat on their own vs what they insist they can't eat when someone prepares it as a nice brekkie for them.
Around here the biggie for the lactose folks is when they tell me how much they loved the clam chowder but 'don't put any cheese in their eggs.' (Altho, I do understand there's a difference for some with aged cheeses vs milk.)

Some folks who are lactose intolerant can actually deal with yogurt pretty well. So I'm guessing that's the most likely limited dairy intolerance.
I'd ask the guests what they can tolerate and what they can't because there's just no way to know otherwise.
But, in my experience, yogurt is the one thing that comes to mind when folks use that description.

Back