Linen Service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattrin

Reaction score
Does anyone use a linen service? We have 11 rooms and we are ironing and steaming the sheets in the main house (4 rooms) but just washing and drying in the annex. On a busy weekend I can have 20 or more loads of laundry with sheets and towels. Considering the time, water, soap, electricity, etc. I am beginning to think a service of high end sheets and towels would be less expensive and save me tons of time. I am getting a bid from a company that services high-end inns and hotels.
My only issue is what do I with the beautiful sheets and towels I currently own? What are some of the experiences others have had with a service?
help.gif

Why not investigate a LAUNDRY service? Of perhaps this linen service IS a laundry service? I think there are several here who use laundry service - gladly and thankful it is available.

I'm sure you could sell your current inventory if you needed to.

I'm exhausted just thinking about that many loads of laundry, let alone ironing on top of that! We used to have a laundry service, but they did not deliver, so it became a bigger hassle to drag all the stuff over there and drag it back, with 9 rooms it just made more sense to keep it in-house. But if you could get a true linen delivery service at a reasonable price that would probably help a ton.

I would keep you sheets for backup when your laundry service is late or does not deliver.
RIki

i used a laundry service with pick up and delivery. our septic (and my old machines) couldn't keep up with 8 rooms of laundry. i STILL did what i could in-house. they were not ironed, the sheets were laundered with light starch and came out crisp, the way i like them.
if anyone goes this route, you MUST mark all your linens and keep track of what you send in case something goes missing ... because it does happen on occasion.

I used to use a laundry service. Unfortuately, I did have some problems. First off, they lose your sheets all the time. I stopped sending pillow cases because they lost so many of them, that now I don't have full sets anymore. Plus there were many occasions that the sheets came back looking like monkeys did them. Some even came back dirty. If they were understaffed, then they wouldn't deliver to me out in the country and I would have to wait another week for my sheets or drive out to pick them up my self. Plus it was expensive. They were charging $1.89 per sheet.
Now I do them myself. I wash about 35 loads of laudry a week.

re: using a Linen service. I loved my linen service. They picked up and dropped of Mon, Wed, Fri (you can bet that Monday's pickup was enormous). The Farmers Daughter obviously did not love her service. Once in a while things went missing but not often ... if they did, I would call immediately because you do have to be on your toes about it. My laundry never came back dirty. And guests always commented on the nice fresh linens and towels.
I would recommend you get references ... just ask them for names of places that use them and call. Best way to find out if others are satisfied or not.

I use a laundry service - my own linens, pickup Monday and Thursday, about $6.50 per set (flat/fitted/4 pillowcases) for sheets only. I am happy with it - with a few missteps here and there. I found out about the service from other B&Bs in the area who use it.

The rep is coming today to discuss my options. This is not a laundry service but a linen service. They supply the linens and they will deliver and pick up. The last owners used a laundry service that did lose items - that is why I didn't use them. My understanding is that the linen service uses only flat sheets - no fitted- and that I can triple sheet if I want too. I would love to do that but I am not sure I need to or that I can afford it. I use duvets in the main house and comforters in the guest house. We have blankets for winter but very rarely need them so I can't see triple sheeting at this time. Will let you know what the rep says and the cost.

The rep is coming today to discuss my options. This is not a laundry service but a linen service. They supply the linens and they will deliver and pick up. The last owners used a laundry service that did lose items - that is why I didn't use them. My understanding is that the linen service uses only flat sheets - no fitted- and that I can triple sheet if I want too. I would love to do that but I am not sure I need to or that I can afford it. I use duvets in the main house and comforters in the guest house. We have blankets for winter but very rarely need them so I can't see triple sheeting at this time. Will let you know what the rep says and the cost..
kattrin said:
The rep is coming today to discuss my options. This is not a laundry service but a linen service. They supply the linens and they will deliver and pick up. The last owners used a laundry service that did lose items - that is why I didn't use them. My understanding is that the linen service uses only flat sheets - no fitted- and that I can triple sheet if I want too. I would love to do that but I am not sure I need to or that I can afford it. I use duvets in the main house and comforters in the guest house. We have blankets for winter but very rarely need them so I can't see triple sheeting at this time. Will let you know what the rep says and the cost.
No fitted sheets? How would that work?

so would this just be for your sheets? or sheets and towels, too?
i know of a place, they have a link here but i don't know if they post ... that only uses flat sheets. i thought ~ ugh ~ so much work. but actually they have their system of bed making down pat and they have all these big sheets and they don't stress over bringing the 'wrong size sheet' to the guestroom.

What about instead of using a laundry service or linen service, you hired someone who could double as a housekeeper/laundry person? Would the cost, money-wise, work out to be a little or a lot more? Would the extra set of hands offset the expense?

What about instead of using a laundry service or linen service, you hired someone who could double as a housekeeper/laundry person? Would the cost, money-wise, work out to be a little or a lot more? Would the extra set of hands offset the expense?.
penelope said:
What about instead of using a laundry service or linen service, you hired someone who could double as a housekeeper/laundry person? Would the cost, money-wise, work out to be a little or a lot more? Would the extra set of hands offset the expense?
I think a draw of these services is also to save on the energy costs associated with running multiple loads of laundry.
The problem with hiring help to do laundry is finding them work while the machines are running.

The rep is coming today to discuss my options. This is not a laundry service but a linen service. They supply the linens and they will deliver and pick up. The last owners used a laundry service that did lose items - that is why I didn't use them. My understanding is that the linen service uses only flat sheets - no fitted- and that I can triple sheet if I want too. I would love to do that but I am not sure I need to or that I can afford it. I use duvets in the main house and comforters in the guest house. We have blankets for winter but very rarely need them so I can't see triple sheeting at this time. Will let you know what the rep says and the cost..
I've worked at 4 different large hotels and they have all used flat sheets for all their beds. No fitted sheets. It is quite the norm. I asked why they did this and they said it was just easier to have one type of sheet and the sheets wear evenly because sometimes a bottom sheet will become a top sheet in the next round. It was also easier for the laundry people to fold. You just just have to do those hospital folds and corners for your bottom sheets.

What about instead of using a laundry service or linen service, you hired someone who could double as a housekeeper/laundry person? Would the cost, money-wise, work out to be a little or a lot more? Would the extra set of hands offset the expense?.
We do have someone to help clean and do laundry. To wash, dry, fold, then iron and steam the sheets takes so long and it is a lot less expensive and saves on water, electricity and wear and tear on the machines using a service. I met with the rep yesterday. Still not sure what I am going to do. Their sheets are 270 tc and mine are all over 400 plus I am not crazy about their towels. I am going to look into a laundry service that will do my sheets and deliver them to me. I will do everything else. One of the benefits of the service is the sheets are washed at a much higher temp that my machine can do so everything is sterilized. I love my beautiful sheets and towels and hate giving them up for plain white.

Back