Linen Storage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
How, very specifically, do you handle your linen storage, especially those of you with seven rooms???
After the sheets are washed, how do you sort them, where do you store them, how do you transport them to the rooms?
I only have four rooms, and I've got storage (more or less) in each room, but still...
=)
Kk.

In my basement is a wall of glass-front cupboards. I think they might be from the original kitchen of the house (the 1930s house, anyway). Towels on the bottom, sheets on the top. There are times when I'd like them to be closer to the second floor, but they are at least close to the washer/dryer, mangle and folding table. I load up laundry baskets with the towels and sheets as needed for turns and DH hauls them upstairs when guests check out.
I sort them generally by room, which is generally by color - although I have some sheets which can go to more than one room, and same for the towels. The sheets are folded in sets with pillowcases tucked inside. Towels are arranged by hand towels, washcloths, towels, bathmats with spares in the back. Robes hang on a garment rack next to the dryer and extra facecloths are stored in the housekeeping closet on the second floor.

I have a double set of those gray metal shelving units usually found in basements or garages in what is left of my storage room after the private bath was created. I keep the queen sheets on the top shelf (boxes of goblets are on the top-top) summer sheets on one side and flannel on the other. Second shelf down is the full sheets, then pillows and towels. The bottom shelf is A/C units in winter and whatever gets shoved on there for the summer. I keep a supply of extra towers on a shel if the private bathroom and have a white oak market basket with an assortment of spare towers/washrags/bathsheets rolled and stuck in it sitting on the washstand in the shared bath. Extra blankets, duvets, STUFF are here and there wherever I can find a spot. Storage space here is slim and none!

I'll take a pic in a bit, but I have a converted bathroom (we took out the shower and put in a stackable washer/dryer). There are cupboards on the wall and I have plastic stacking shelves and 2 floor cupboards. The wall cupboards hold the king & twin sheets, the queen sheets are stacked on the plastic shelves. The sheets are pretty much the same way.

We have a large cupbord in the hallway of our 2nd floor landing where most of the towels are stored along with guest amenities. Sheets are stored in each room... bottom drawer of each chest of drawers (the upper drawers are for guest use) We do have to use part of the shelf of one closet for linen for one room as the drawer space is not available for them.

We don't have 7 rooms but we have 8 beds :) I have 3 locations actually. First location is the Linen closet on the second floor for the 2 main house rooms (4 beds). This linen closet isn't locked but has a private sign on it and I wish it was locked. Top shelf - bath rugs, extra non-slip tub mats, extra shower curtains & liners, extra bathroom roll up cloth shades (they can get splatter due to location near sinks). Next shelf - extra pillow protectors, King sheets by set, Queen sheets. Next shelf down - Cotton bath mats, Bath towels (2 kinds). Next shelf down - hand towels, face cloths, makeup cloths, extra TP. Bottom shelf - cleaning supplies, extra plastic trash bags, a few light bulbs, etc. Floor - canister vacuum, extra air return filters, extra vaccum bags, small broom, floor swiffer. I also have a locking cabinet with a couple of shelves on the 2nd floor landing where I keep a small stash of bath amenities & turndown chocolates. Second location - Main House Laundry Room - some extra towels & sheets are in my open shelf there, extra comforters, blankets, etc. (big stuff) is on the top of my cabinets (about eight feet of space by the depth of a 12" shelf); all my pillowcases are kept on hangers so that they don't wrinkle & a few extra robes. I also keep my tablecloths on hangers. Third location - 2nd house laundry room cabinet. Top shelf - bath rugs, bath mats, non slip mats, kitchen towels, sheets. Next shelf - Queen sheets, full sheets (patterned), pillow protectors, towels, hand towels, face cloths & wash cloths. (I bought those wire shelves with legs to double the shelf space in each part of this cabinet which had been in the kitchen maybe in a former life. On the top of the cabinet are extra pillows. I have another cabinet in there with some hardware storage & the top has extra comforters, blankets, etc. Pillowcases & robes are hanging in there.
I try to keep like things together. I've added stuff to the 2nd floor linen closet to save trips up & down the stairs for pesky things (like the few lightbulbs, night light bulbs). The problem is that all 3 of my locations are not HUGE, but they're pretty convenient. All our sheets are white except the full size ones for the pull out sofa.
I keep no extra linens in the guest rooms except 2 extra feather pillows in the closet, the extra blanket, and robes. Both my laundry rooms can't be accessed by guests.

My contractor should be back tomorrow to finish up all the odds and ends. The guest rooms are pretty much done, except for a few little touches, so now he'll be working on our private space and unfinished fix-it list from when my bil put in our family room but never finished. We have done absolutely zero to our laundry room, which is a really big space that I'm hoping will also be a little kitchenette.
Meanwhile, my sister is in raptures about her new laundry system which is three shelves in her laundry room. Now she does a load a day, folds them each night and places them on the shelves where each family member can retrieve their own and take them upstairs.
I'm envisioning something similar, maybe, with a place for each of the four guest rooms, plus boys and us, plus towels. I also want a custom made ironing board that is at least as big as a king-sized pillow case.
Thank you for your detailed answers!
=)
Kk.

My contractor should be back tomorrow to finish up all the odds and ends. The guest rooms are pretty much done, except for a few little touches, so now he'll be working on our private space and unfinished fix-it list from when my bil put in our family room but never finished. We have done absolutely zero to our laundry room, which is a really big space that I'm hoping will also be a little kitchenette.
Meanwhile, my sister is in raptures about her new laundry system which is three shelves in her laundry room. Now she does a load a day, folds them each night and places them on the shelves where each family member can retrieve their own and take them upstairs.
I'm envisioning something similar, maybe, with a place for each of the four guest rooms, plus boys and us, plus towels. I also want a custom made ironing board that is at least as big as a king-sized pillow case.
=)
Kk..
It makes it easier if you have a large space :) Then, you can really be organized.
I forgot to tell you that I also have a linen inventory for both houses in an Excel Spreadsheet - it helps me to know what I need to still add to be up to what I'd like to have in stock for each room. And, what has gone out of inventory either for a stain or a mysterious disappearance. I count everything about once a month, if I remember. Like today, I swear there were 2 wash cloths in a guest room (like always). When I flipped it, there was only one unused one. hmmm..... I can't swear there were two there so can't charge the guest. It's a mystery....
omg_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
It makes it easier if you have a large space :) Then, you can really be organized.
I forgot to tell you that I also have a linen inventory for both houses in an Excel Spreadsheet - it helps me to know what I need to still add to be up to what I'd like to have in stock for each room. And, what has gone out of inventory either for a stain or a mysterious disappearance. I count everything about once a month, if I remember. Like today, I swear there were 2 wash cloths in a guest room (like always). When I flipped it, there was only one unused one. hmmm..... I can't swear there were two there so can't charge the guest. It's a mystery....
omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif
You are a crazy woman! I know I have to get to the linen supply store this week to get some unknown quantity of face cloths. I'll wing it. Basically, I'll buy everything they have in stock. I know I need a back-up king blanket and a mattress pad. But I've needed those for 2 years!
Hubs keeps wondering where the glasses go...'Do you see a glass anywhere? There's only one.' But he's also always looking around for towels.

I have a small closet upstairs, where I have 4 rooms. In the closet is a shelf, extra pillows on top, then towels below, next shelf down are linens. On the bottom shelf I keep little odds and ends needed once in a while. On the floore, in front of the shelf, I have my cleaning caddy, vaccum, etc...
The linens for the one room downstairs I keep in the laundry room, which is also downstairs.

=)
Kk..
omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif
You are a crazy woman! I know I have to get to the linen supply store this week to get some unknown quantity of face cloths. I'll wing it. Basically, I'll buy everything they have in stock. I know I need a back-up king blanket and a mattress pad. But I've needed those for 2 years!
Hubs keeps wondering where the glasses go...'Do you see a glass anywhere? There's only one.' But he's also always looking around for towels.
OK..I had this linen inventory handwritten on a couple of pieces of paper to help me when I went out shopping :) You met Mr. 20 Questions? Well, he is also Mr. Have to Have a Computer File, so he created the spreadsheets & emailed them to me. Now, I just keep them up. haha. The list is also good for insurance you know...we did just have that little incident here
sad_smile.gif

I have a small closet upstairs, where I have 4 rooms. In the closet is a shelf, extra pillows on top, then towels below, next shelf down are linens. On the bottom shelf I keep little odds and ends needed once in a while. On the floore, in front of the shelf, I have my cleaning caddy, vaccum, etc...
The linens for the one room downstairs I keep in the laundry room, which is also downstairs..
I have a closet with cubicles on one side, on the other side there is a hang up rod. I keep the linens there. The towels are in a smailer closet with shelves. On the otherside of the house I have a shelf cabinet in a bathroom and a small armoire in the hall. Towels in one sheets in the other.
Tableclothes in hall closet downstairs. Cloth napkins in dining room in secretary drawers.

OK, pix attached here. You can see the sheets stacked up in one pic and the cabinets in the other. This is also where we store the cleaning buckets & vacuum. Paper goods start off in the basement and get moved to a cubby right outside the laundry room for quick access. The sink cabinet here holds the soaps & makeup removers (in the drawers). The sheets of paper taped up everywhere are 'notes to self' about what needs to be cleaned and when. (ie- which quilts, blankets & mattress pads are next in line.)
It's a 1/2 bath, toilet out of sight (actually, the tall basket is sitting on it, today is MY laundry day!)
This is a pretty good representation of the bathroom, the pix are side by side, just the way the bathroom is laid out (you can just see the vacuum to the right of the washer, to the left in the pic of the cabinets. If the light/angle were equal in both pix, you wouldn't realize it was 2 different photos.) And, yes, it IS as small as it looks!
You can see the 'spares' stored on top of the dryer and on the shelf to the left. Hope this helps picture the layout.
laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG

OK, pix attached here. You can see the sheets stacked up in one pic and the cabinets in the other. This is also where we store the cleaning buckets & vacuum. Paper goods start off in the basement and get moved to a cubby right outside the laundry room for quick access. The sink cabinet here holds the soaps & makeup removers (in the drawers). The sheets of paper taped up everywhere are 'notes to self' about what needs to be cleaned and when. (ie- which quilts, blankets & mattress pads are next in line.)
It's a 1/2 bath, toilet out of sight (actually, the tall basket is sitting on it, today is MY laundry day!)
This is a pretty good representation of the bathroom, the pix are side by side, just the way the bathroom is laid out (you can just see the vacuum to the right of the washer, to the left in the pic of the cabinets. If the light/angle were equal in both pix, you wouldn't realize it was 2 different photos.) And, yes, it IS as small as it looks!
You can see the 'spares' stored on top of the dryer and on the shelf to the left. Hope this helps picture the layout.
laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG
Wow! Thanks for posting these pictures!!! I have upright cabinets just like those in my office, except mine are really flimsy.
In comparison to you I have a disgustingly large amount of space! But I still need to figure out the best way to use it...
Do you have your sheets marked? How do you know which size they are when you take them out of the dryer, or is it pretty obvious and then you put them in the right stack when you fold them?
When you go to flip a room do you load up towels and sheets and take them with you? Do you use a laundry basket? Do you take more than one room at a time?
Inquiring minds want to know...
=)
Kk.

laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG
Wow! Thanks for posting these pictures!!! I have upright cabinets just like those in my office, except mine are really flimsy.
In comparison to you I have a disgustingly large amount of space! But I still need to figure out the best way to use it...
Do you have your sheets marked? How do you know which size they are when you take them out of the dryer, or is it pretty obvious and then you put them in the right stack when you fold them?
When you go to flip a room do you load up towels and sheets and take them with you? Do you use a laundry basket? Do you take more than one room at a time?
=)
Kk.
These cabinets (the floor models) ARE flimsy. The shelves inside are a bit bowed from the towels and they are not very deep. (Tough to close them when all the towels are put away.)
Sheets are not marked because (brilliant innkeeper that I am) I bought different colors for different size beds. (This after having all the same brand/color sheets for 2 years and having to find my glasses to read the labels!) So, beige floral for the queen beds, pink floral for the king (matches the quilt & the wallpaper amazingly) and plain beige for the twins. I have multiple backup pillowcases. (Which are ALL in need of ironing right now.) When I fold the sheets, I put the pillowcases inside the folds so all is ready to go when I need them. (Great time-saver.)
How I flip a room (keep in mind I just do the bedroom, hubs does the bathroom)...I go to the room first to see how many beds were slept in. Strip bed, bring laundry to laundry room, get new sheets, grab dusting stuff. (All the other cleaning supplies we cart around in a 5 gal pail- any tall 5 gal pail will do. One of them is an old kitty litter pail.) Hubs returns many times to get the towels and glasses for the bathroom. He'll bring any recycle down to the kitchen with him at the same time. (BTW, the kitchen is right outside this laundry room, so it's all pretty close together.)
If we are flipping one entire floor at the same time (2 or 4 rooms) then I strip all the beds and bring all the linens up with me. Hubs does one room at a time with the towels. He likes the stair climbing exercise. (At some point one or the other of us will realize we have, again, forgotten to bring the phone with us so someone goes to get it, gets distracted and returns to cleaning without it. At which point the OTHER of us goes to get it.)
We do the rooms in essentially the same order everyday so we always end with the same room.

laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG
=)
Kk.
These cabinets (the floor models) ARE flimsy. The shelves inside are a bit bowed from the towels and they are not very deep. (Tough to close them when all the towels are put away.)
Sheets are not marked because (brilliant innkeeper that I am) I bought different colors for different size beds. (This after having all the same brand/color sheets for 2 years and having to find my glasses to read the labels!) So, beige floral for the queen beds, pink floral for the king (matches the quilt & the wallpaper amazingly) and plain beige for the twins. I have multiple backup pillowcases. (Which are ALL in need of ironing right now.) When I fold the sheets, I put the pillowcases inside the folds so all is ready to go when I need them. (Great time-saver.)
How I flip a room (keep in mind I just do the bedroom, hubs does the bathroom)...I go to the room first to see how many beds were slept in. Strip bed, bring laundry to laundry room, get new sheets, grab dusting stuff. (All the other cleaning supplies we cart around in a 5 gal pail- any tall 5 gal pail will do. One of them is an old kitty litter pail.) Hubs returns many times to get the towels and glasses for the bathroom. He'll bring any recycle down to the kitchen with him at the same time. (BTW, the kitchen is right outside this laundry room, so it's all pretty close together.)
If we are flipping one entire floor at the same time (2 or 4 rooms) then I strip all the beds and bring all the linens up with me. Hubs does one room at a time with the towels. He likes the stair climbing exercise. (At some point one or the other of us will realize we have, again, forgotten to bring the phone with us so someone goes to get it, gets distracted and returns to cleaning without it. At which point the OTHER of us goes to get it.)
We do the rooms in essentially the same order everyday so we always end with the same room.
Thank you for the detail!
I got my cabinets free from a friend, so I can't complain, but they're just like yours!
Some of my sheets are colored/patterned, but I have white in all different sizes. Since I don't have so many rooms I think I just need to make sure I put them in the right place when I take them out of the dryer.
We have a little cleaning caddy thingy I picked up at a yard sale, but just one. It probably doesn't hold as much as the bucket, but it's more spread out.
It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one who forgets to take the phone with me, and that it's normal to have to take several trips up to a room before it's all said and done.
THANK YOU!!!
=)
Kk.

laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG
=)
Kk.
I got my cabinets free from a friend, so I can't complain, but they're just like yours!
Some of my sheets are colored/patterned, but I have white in all different sizes. Since I don't have so many rooms I think I just need to make sure I put them in the right place when I take them out of the dryer.
We have a little cleaning caddy thingy I picked up at a yard sale, but just one. It probably doesn't hold as much as the bucket, but it's more spread out.
It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one who forgets to take the phone with me, and that it's normal to have to take several trips up to a room before it's all said and done.
THANK YOU!!!
=)
Kk.
Inside the upper cabinets all the shelves are labeled. 'Twin sheets' 'Twin pillow sets' 'Twin singles' (for mismatched pillowcases) 'King sheets' 'King pillowcases' 'Queen matching pillowcases' 'Queen plain pillowcase sets'
Just in case I ever get help, it's all labeled. The blankets either have the tags still on or they are in plastic that is labeled. This is a GREAT use for all those plastic 'bags' the quilts, etc come in! Almost all of the ones I have purchased have a 'pocket' inside where the original insert goes describing the product inside. I flip that over to the blank side and write 'queen blanket' or whatever on it. Zip it up, voila! Dust free and labeled. And easy to grab and go when it's time to change out the blankets.

Six rooms. I might not have as many sheets as some of the others. I have two to three per room.
All sheets are hung. I hang them up immediately out of the dryer. Pillowcases are stacked and then once ironed are hung. They hang in the laundry room on heavy duty hooks that it took 3 years to install.
wink_smile.gif

Towels are triple folded as sets and bath mats are stacked together.

laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
This appears to be a "workforce" question right?
Rule #1 NEVER go up those stairs without bringing stuff up, as much as you can carry.
If it is sheets, bring up as many sets as you can. (If you have an unused bathroom or room, put them all in there when you can until you can make up the other rooms, ie guests still hanging around). HOOKS ON THE BACKS OF DOORS are very helpful - I won't put sheets down anywhere - there is hair and debris - so I stick em straight onto a hook. The towels stay in the basket til I need them.
This is how I haul them, I grab three sets with spare pillows cases all on hangers and toss them over my shoulder (stronger shoulder - skinny arms) and haul em up. Towels 3 to 4 sets in a laundry basket for hauling up.
IF per chance there is a "workforce" amongst us, as is this week - she can carry the laundry basket up. Always with as much as she can take, this includes trash bags to empty trash, robes, flowers, anything and everything we can stuff in amongst the towel sets.
My workforce have popeye arms, they are not feeble.
So with two of us hauling, stripping, etc it is still MANY trips up the stairs. Certain items like juice glasses from this morning, iced tea glasses from yesterday, wilted flowers in a vase, all of these require extra care.

laundry3.JPG
laundry2.JPG
=)
Kk.
THANK YOU!!!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
THANK YOU!!!
=)
Kk.
Ha! I just have to be able to hear the phone (meaning not using the vac) because although the ringer is shut off, I have an extention in one of the upstairs rooms. Has come in handy more times than not. Originally installed so my aunt would have a phone available on "her" floor.

Back