Linens and things

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loscielos

Reaction score
Hello all!
I just recently bought a place in Costa Rica. THis is my first venture. I am sure I will have a lot more questions, but I am shopping for some items to bring for my trip in two weeks. I wanted to buy bedding and towels here in the US. The place has 6 bedrooms and 6 1/2 bathrooms.
Any advise on the following?
  • Where to buy linens and towels
  • Thread count/quality of the sheets and towels. I want it to be nice/soft but durable.
Thanks for any help!

Congrats on the big purchase! You can try any of the major chains for linens that you can pack on the plane with you. Kohl's, Penney's, Target, places like that. Look for the sales. I bought sheets 5 years ago at JCP and they're doing very well. I got some Laura Ashley brand and they wrinkle like crazy so avoid that. I just ordered 2 more sets from Kohl's to try out. Then I'll order more to slowly replace what's older.

Thread count between 300 (bare minimum) and 450 are best for the least wrinkle IMO. I like Egptian cotton or a cotton/poly blend. Microfiber is not too bad in the wrinkle department and they will weigh a lot less in your baggage. Still like the cotton best - and guests choose cotton more often (I offer a sheet menu). Any of the stores Maddie mentioned.

Target has some really nice sheets, 325 thread count, wrinkle-free. JCP has 400 thread count, wrinkle-free and 360 thread count, wrinkle-free.
Wrinkle-free doesn't mean that there won't be wrinkles, just that if you pull them from the dryer quickly, they should be relatively wrinkle-free. It wears off after 50 to 100 washings, but by them the material should have memory and remain wrinkle free. If you are drying outside, they will also dry slightly faster than normal,

Target has some really nice sheets, 325 thread count, wrinkle-free. JCP has 400 thread count, wrinkle-free and 360 thread count, wrinkle-free.
Wrinkle-free doesn't mean that there won't be wrinkles, just that if you pull them from the dryer quickly, they should be relatively wrinkle-free. It wears off after 50 to 100 washings, but by them the material should have memory and remain wrinkle free. If you are drying outside, they will also dry slightly faster than normal,.
Thanks for the feedback! Have you ever bought linens at either Sam's club or overstock?

Congrats on the big purchase! You can try any of the major chains for linens that you can pack on the plane with you. Kohl's, Penney's, Target, places like that. Look for the sales. I bought sheets 5 years ago at JCP and they're doing very well. I got some Laura Ashley brand and they wrinkle like crazy so avoid that. I just ordered 2 more sets from Kohl's to try out. Then I'll order more to slowly replace what's older..
Thank you Madeleine! We are very excited about it! I'm going to be asking a lot of VERY basic questions as I am new to this world. I was under the assumption/impression that I should buy all the sheets in one place to avoid getting mixed up. I will not be in the property for the majority of the time. Any thoughts on just buying various white sheets from different places?

Congrats on the big purchase! You can try any of the major chains for linens that you can pack on the plane with you. Kohl's, Penney's, Target, places like that. Look for the sales. I bought sheets 5 years ago at JCP and they're doing very well. I got some Laura Ashley brand and they wrinkle like crazy so avoid that. I just ordered 2 more sets from Kohl's to try out. Then I'll order more to slowly replace what's older..
Thank you Madeleine! We are very excited about it! I'm going to be asking a lot of VERY basic questions as I am new to this world. I was under the assumption/impression that I should buy all the sheets in one place to avoid getting mixed up. I will not be in the property for the majority of the time. Any thoughts on just buying various white sheets from different places?
Because the bedding will be in different rooms it doesn't matter if it matches. Getting matching bedding makes it easier for whoever is doing the housekeeping. Having different color sheets or patterns makes it harder to mix and match if you have damage to any of the tops or bottoms.
If you go with a basic white you can mix and match even if you buy them at different places.

Wrinkle-free doesn't mean that there won't be wrinkles, just that if you pull them from the dryer quickly, they should be relatively wrinkle-free. It wears off after 50 to 100 washings, but by them the material should have memory and remain wrinkle free. If you are drying outside, they will also dry slightly faster than normal,.
Thanks for the feedback! Have you ever bought linens at either Sam's club or overstock?
I buy a lot of stuff from Overstock. There is a section for purchasing in bulk. (Link is usually at the bottom of the home page.) Or, you can search for 'bulk sheets' and you can buy them by the half dozen or dozen.
READ the reviews. Some of the stuff is really hit or miss. You find a lot of comments that the sheets shrunk so much they don't fit or they fell apart after 2 washings, the king pillow cases are really standard size, stuff like that.

Because the bedding will be in different rooms it doesn't matter if it matches. Getting matching bedding makes it easier for whoever is doing the housekeeping. Having different color sheets or patterns makes it harder to mix and match if you have damage to any of the tops or bottoms.
If you go with a basic white you can mix and match even if you buy them at different places.
Thanks Madeleine. These are helpful advise.

Back