Linens for owners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somewhere in Paradise

Reaction score
As I was at the store buying more brand new linens for my guest rooms the other day started to get a little upset that I was using linens that were ruined by guests for myself. I decieded right there at the store that I was going to from now on buy myself new linens for my quarters and if guests ruined linens I would circulate my linens to the guest rooms instead of vice versa. I don't think it makes a difference for the guests , they use linens that have been used anyway. So now I am feeling very luxurious in my new sheets and towels.
After all the threads I have read about using the old sheets, half used rolls of toilet paper and stained towels and trying to get the image of some of the guests who have used these things out of my head (I am referring to people who have been mentioned in some of Joe Bloggs recent topics) I feel SOOOO much better.

Good for you! I had to chuckle because it felt like I was reading my own thread....Sometimes we have to put ourselves first.

maybe this will make me sound like a total snob but i don't care. Absolutely NOT will i ever lay myself on a pillowcase, sheets. etc that has been ruined by a guest. That is very gross to me and DH feels the same. Same with towels. those are guests towels, we have our own. If guest towels get ruined they become beach towels or are torn up & used as cleaning cloths. we have 1000 TC sheets on our own bed and they are luxurious. I would never put those on guest beds. i could not sleep at night if i knew there was someone else's stains underneath me
yes, we do utilize the tp remnant rolls. we even keep our dishes, cutlery, etc seperate from the settings we use for guests. I know it probably sounds, petty, anal, whatever you want to call it but it is way to easy to fully & completely give every ounce of ourselves over to our guests. we have to draw the line at somepoint.

maybe this will make me sound like a total snob but i don't care. Absolutely NOT will i ever lay myself on a pillowcase, sheets. etc that has been ruined by a guest. That is very gross to me and DH feels the same. Same with towels. those are guests towels, we have our own. If guest towels get ruined they become beach towels or are torn up & used as cleaning cloths. we have 1000 TC sheets on our own bed and they are luxurious. I would never put those on guest beds. i could not sleep at night if i knew there was someone else's stains underneath me
yes, we do utilize the tp remnant rolls. we even keep our dishes, cutlery, etc seperate from the settings we use for guests. I know it probably sounds, petty, anal, whatever you want to call it but it is way to easy to fully & completely give every ounce of ourselves over to our guests. we have to draw the line at somepoint..
I like the way you think. For the most part that was what we did as well. Our things and guest things were separate. And..we never used remnant toilet paper:)

Good for you! When we bought this B&B that was the first thing I did was to buy a nice set so my own bed was nice and cozy.
Of course since then it has been hand-me-down-rejects from the guest rooms - not stained up, those all go to the scrap pile, just linens that wrinkle too easy that I just can't toss out, and will live with on my own bed. So usually just bought.

yes, we do utilize the tp remnant rolls. we even keep our dishes, cutlery, etc seperate from the settings we use for guests. I know it probably sounds, petty, anal, whatever you want to call it but it is way to easy to fully & completely give every ounce of ourselves over to our guests. we have to draw the line at somepoint..
mollysmom said:
yes, we do utilize the tp remnant rolls. we even keep our dishes, cutlery, etc seperate from the settings we use for guests. I know it probably sounds, petty, anal, whatever you want to call it but it is way to easy to fully & completely give every ounce of ourselves over to our guests. we have to draw the line at somepoint.
Absolutely on this - we have guest dishes in guest places, never the two shall mix. I don't give every once of myself to guests, they can take take and take some more. Not all guests, most are delightful, but on occasion you get the guest who says with a full house and working your buns off "We expect to hear from the hosts at breakfast, that is part of the whole B&B experience" Little do they know we are on day 30 of guests and we are there every single check in, morning chat time.
They booked on a full house and there aren't fairies cooking their food and cleaning up afterward! It is us, no one else. Then we give less of ourselves as some who books a room demands the song and dance show from the innkeepers.

mollysmom said:
Absolutely on this - we have guest dishes in guest places, never the two shall mix. I don't give every once of myself to guests, they can take take and take some more. Not all guests, most are delightful, but on occasion you get the guest who says with a full house and working your buns off "We expect to hear from the hosts at breakfast, that is part of the whole B&B experience" Little do they know we are on day 30 of guests and we are there every single check in, morning chat time.
They booked on a full house and there aren't fairies cooking their food and cleaning up afterward! It is us, no one else. Then we give less of ourselves as some who books a room demands the song and dance show from the innkeepers.
I have nice linens for us and I even iron our sheets. I also have a thing about guest linens, dishes, etc. I think it's a way of separating business from home. I want to have my own things for my husband and myself.

i feel opposite opposite
not that i didn't have a few nice things for myself ... but i happily happily happily took possession of lovely sheet sets that had become less than perfect after guest use. i knew that the linens were laundered thoroughly and had no problem with a ghost stain or a mended sheet but i wanted my guests to have linens and towels in pristine condition. they were paying to stay ... so i gave them the best.
as for tp .... all the remnants for me!! no almost used up rolls in my guest bathrooms when a new guest checked in .... ever .... i had a pretty little box in 'my' bathroom for those rolls and did not mind using them up.
when i did regular inspections and evaluations of sheets (and towels) i also let my chambermaid take home damaged things. she was thrilled!

This TP thing baffles me! We keep plenty of extra in each guest room so don't know why there is any need to remove a roll??

i feel opposite opposite
not that i didn't have a few nice things for myself ... but i happily happily happily took possession of lovely sheet sets that had become less than perfect after guest use. i knew that the linens were laundered thoroughly and had no problem with a ghost stain or a mended sheet but i wanted my guests to have linens and towels in pristine condition. they were paying to stay ... so i gave them the best.
as for tp .... all the remnants for me!! no almost used up rolls in my guest bathrooms when a new guest checked in .... ever .... i had a pretty little box in 'my' bathroom for those rolls and did not mind using them up.
when i did regular inspections and evaluations of sheets (and towels) i also let my chambermaid take home damaged things. she was thrilled!.
not that i didn't have a few nice things for myself ... but i happily happily happily took possession of lovely sheet sets that had become less than perfect after guest use.
I am with you SS. I grew up using whatever. You did not throw away until it was ALL used up. I have the things that are important to DH and work around the rest. I would never toss a partial roll of TP - a fresh roll goes up with every change of guests of if it is half or less during a freshen the bathroom. That is why I buy regular size rolls instead of the BIG ones. I wash my sheets and therefore know they are clean. If my sheets are stained (DH will sometimes get a stain from putting on his brace) I do not throw them away so why would I toss guestroom sheets with a stain? IF I put extra elastic on the corners they will work on my bed (the salesman told DH we will never have to buy another mattress and he believed him - not thick mattress) so why would I spend more when I already bought the best quality I could afford?
See, for me, this is my home and i have invited people to share it (for a fee in most cases) so everything downstairs is as good as what is upstairs. If it has a small stain or small mark it comes downstairs because I am not paying for it every night as they are - they also have the stained sheets at home that still get used - but rightly expect pristine when paying. I do not know how else to explain it without sounding condescending or high-faluting or any of those "elite" sounding ways. I was brought up to use, reuse, find another use before giving up on something. Cannot do any other way. A Chicago Depression-era Mother and a West Virginia farm Father ingrained do not waste money buying what is not needed.

This TP thing baffles me! We keep plenty of extra in each guest room so don't know why there is any need to remove a roll??.
Simply so the guest does not have to do it. It is a mundane chore and one does not go away to do mundane chores.

1. it looks nice when there's a new roll for the new checkin (or if i see that it will have to be changed out soon for stayovers)
2. i actually had a guest get something on the roll left behind ... i was so glad that day that i change out the rolls. but that is a whole 'nother issue and not a nice one. i would just say, when flipping, (or fluffing if you freshen the bathroom) even if you don't change the rolls unless used up, just pull a few sheets off the roll hanging there and make sure all is well.
3. i'm a control freak when it comes to bathroom tissue ... i like it to come over the roll not under ...
devil_smile.gif

but this should be in its own thread. there is one somewhere just about tp issues.

This TP thing baffles me! We keep plenty of extra in each guest room so don't know why there is any need to remove a roll??.
InnsiderInfo said:
This TP thing baffles me! We keep plenty of extra in each guest room so don't know why there is any need to remove a roll??
It is the USED idea. If I go into a fresh clean room and see four squares left it is kinda like "ICK" reminds me that someone else sat here and did 'that'. I won't leave a part empty roll in any guest room. The guest room should be freshly stocked for the new guest. Just like three kleenix left, needs a fresh box.
When I freshen a room if the roll is far below half I always replace it for the guest.

I think this falls under the "obsessive compulsive" category! As a guest I would not even notice...where do you keep all those half used rolls of TP? There is only DH and I, it would be piled everywhere in our teeny, tiny bathroom.
But this goes with the initial thread: Your guests are worthy of a new roll of TP but all you get is the left overs? GROSS!

I keep everything seperate too. I agree that it helps to seperate business from personal time.
I would not put stained sheets on anyones bed.
Joe you are sooo funny! I hope not to make anyone mad because I have seen threads and youtube videos... but that is why I do not fold the TP . I dont like to think someone has had their hands all over the TP. I usually tear that part off and throw it away when I am staying somewhere that does that.

yup, leftovers for me. like i said, i had a pretty box with lid that sat in the corner of my bathroom for the tp. my choice. you do what you like. but CHECK those rolls in the guestrooms for 'evidence' ....

I am like SS in that I use the less than perfect sheets that are still nice and soft and the towels that are still nice but a bit worn or have a few strings hanging off them. I use the left over toilet papers and have them stored in the many drawers of my bathroom. I also eat off the same dishes the guests use for breakfast. They all go into a dishwasher so I don't see what the big deal is. I wouldn't even have room for another set of dishes in the kitchen I have as everything is in its place and stacked neatly but there is not an inch of space left anywhere. I also use the half used soaps and shampoos for my bathroom as well. The rest I give away to people. I can't stand to waste things. I also pick things out of the guest trash cans and recyle everything I can.

Re: TP. As an avid B&Ber, I don't expect a new roll of tp, not any more than I do at public functions, washrooms at the mall, at friends' houses... but please, also leave at least one extra roll in case we run out! Also, having read seashanty's comment, I'll probably pull a few sheets off the roll before using it!

I like the way you think. For the most part that was what we did as well. Our things and guest things were separate. And..we never used remnant toilet paper:)
catlady said:
What did you do with the three quarter used TP rolls?

I'm with everyone that has the "waste not want not" mentality. I do change the rolls of TP and take the rest for us. And yes if there are stains on sheets, I wash with bleach and use them on our own beds...still have three rooms for family and guests that are not part of the B & B. I have replaced three comfortors in our suite within the last three years because of stains-I kept them for our beds. I grew up in South America and came to the states when I was 12, I was completely AMAZED at all the conveniences and products that are so readily available and the sadest thing that so much is thrown away its sad. We do have separate dishwear for the B & B only because we had children in the house and it seemed that the glasses got broken more easily and the plates got chips. We had three sets of silverware that was included in the sale plus our own so and we keep them in the side board. If the towels have small stains we put them on a shelf to use for the hot tub which is outside and that truly does not matter. Now if there is a LARGE stain on a towel of sheet, we do tear them up dor rags.
With all the eco-friendly, green and "not wasting" moto's nowadays it would be a shame to throw anything that is of use away.

Back