Linens, How many per bed do you have?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have 3 sets per bed. No ironing.. blech! Your local animal shelter would like the excess sheets for bedding..
greyswan said:
we have 3 sets per bed. No ironing.. blech! Your local animal shelter would like the excess sheets for bedding.
The local homeless shelter will take them as well.

About this ironing thing...... do I gotta? *Said in a whiny voice*.
Gingerbread Latte said:
About this ironing thing...... do I gotta? *Said in a whiny voice*
No. I stopped ironing years ago. If something is really wrinkly I will pull out the iron otherwise I fold everything up and hope it self irons while it sits.
However, if you're buying new linens right now, test drive a few different kinds, some of them are horrible and you'll want to iron just because you'll be embarrassed otherwise. Don't buy anymore of those. Go with something else.
However, if you're buying new linens right now, test drive a few different kinds, some of them are horrible and you'll want to iron just because you'll be embarrassed otherwise. Don't buy anymore of those. Go with something else.
these mistakes in purchasing are called - innkeepers new personal sheets.

The flats are generous size, and tuck under the mattress nicely. I like that they have a wide hem on each end so they can be rotated end for end for wear, but I am also a little lazy, and would rather have the fitted. I was thinking of keeping several changes each, as I have the room to store them in case laundry got backed up. (Always planning for disaster.).
white pine said:
The flats are generous size, and tuck under the mattress nicely.
Was this why there was a huge amount of flats in the first place?
Lodge, under rennovation, had 34 guest rooms; onsite motel has 8 rooms, 2 beds each; and there were two log cabins total of 4 more beds.
white pine said:
Lodge, under rennovation, had 34 guest rooms; onsite motel has 8 rooms, 2 beds each; and there were two log cabins total of 4 more beds.
That's what I'm saying. Did they use those 250+ flat sheets as thier fitted ones?
PO had the lodge over 50 years. Back in the day there were no "fitted" sheets, you used a flat for top and another for the bottom. Just the way it continued to be done there. Not any more tho!

we have 3 sets per bed. No ironing.. blech! Your local animal shelter would like the excess sheets for bedding..
greyswan said:
we have 3 sets per bed. No ironing.. blech! Your local animal shelter would like the excess sheets for bedding.
Oddly, no homeless shelter here. Animal shelter yes. I will call around and find a charity that can use the sheets. Old blankets and beadspreads will make good animal shelter beds. I ripped up some of the fragile sheets to make temporary curtains to hang, looks much cleaner than the tattered old ones. Just looks cheerier during tours. Someone suggested making bears and bunnies from the torn chenille bedspreads to sell. Not sure about that.

greyswan said:
Oddly, no homeless shelter here. Animal shelter yes. I will call around and find a charity that can use the sheets. Old blankets and beadspreads will make good animal shelter beds. I ripped up some of the fragile sheets to make temporary curtains to hang, looks much cleaner than the tattered old ones. Just looks cheerier during tours. Someone suggested making bears and bunnies from the torn chenille bedspreads to sell. Not sure about that.
Maybe not you, you won't have time, but those chenille bears are cute as can be! Maybe some crafters group (think retirees) would like that. I ship my mother boxes of fabric for her 'ugly quilt' group. They make them for homeless people. And they make 'surgery pillows' that are used by patients to hang onto when trying to stand or sit up after abdominal surgery.
Oldish towels? I just stayed at a place that turned them into bathroom curtains. They're already hemmed, you just turn them over the curtain rod, level out at the right length and sew a rod pocket into them.

greyswan said:
Maybe not you, you won't have time, but those chenille bears are cute as can be! Maybe some crafters group (think retirees) would like that. I ship my mother boxes of fabric for her 'ugly quilt' group. They make them for homeless people. And they make 'surgery pillows' that are used by patients to hang onto when trying to stand or sit up after abdominal surgery.
Oldish towels? I just stayed at a place that turned them into bathroom curtains. They're already hemmed, you just turn them over the curtain rod, level out at the right length and sew a rod pocket into them.
That's a good idea. I will have to check around. I have done a variation on the towel trick. I used some nice check tea towels, and hung them with clip rings on cafe rods in the kitchen window of the log cabin. Used some old towels and clip rings for a "new" curtain in the restroom off the back door of the lodge--needed some privacy there! Ann used to have a few old towls to be used as rags in each room for guest use--she said it saved a lot of towels. I will do this to, maybe let them know and put them under the sink or something.

greyswan said:
Alibi Ike said:
They make them for homeless people. And they make 'surgery pillows' that are used by patients to hang onto when trying to stand or sit up after abdominal surgery.
When my kids were 8 mo & 20 mo, we had just moved halfway across the country. I was in the courthouse in the new town to get our licenses and filling out some paperwork. Suddenly, I have a severe pain in my head, faint, and when I come to, one of the ladies from the license office has called 911 to come get me. On the ambulance, they have a small stash of these "comfort bears" that were made from rags or blankets by some Ladies' Auxillary (sp) for kids who are scared on the ambulance. My kids, who were terrified at this point, held onto these bears quite tightly. When we got to the ER, I couldn't remember my name; had no idea what the name of the new company was where my husband worked; didn't have a cell phone; and my license was from out-of-state. Those bears kept my kids comfortable and occupied until daddy showed up. To this day, 10 years later, I have NO IDEA how they found him.

greyswan said:
That's a good idea. I will have to check around. I have done a variation on the towel trick. I used some nice check tea towels, and hung them with clip rings on cafe rods in the kitchen window of the log cabin. Used some old towels and clip rings for a "new" curtain in the restroom off the back door of the lodge--needed some privacy there! Ann used to have a few old towls to be used as rags in each room for guest use--she said it saved a lot of towels. I will do this to, maybe let them know and put them under the sink or something.
Tea towels clipped up for curtains look really charming!

greyswan said:
Tea towels clipped up for curtains look really charming!
Wish I could do that. My kitchen windows are too large for that. In fact I have looed to buy new curtains for the kitchen (made what is up now in 1995 and they look it) and it looks as if I will have to make the new ones too. They are not kitchen curtain-size - too long for some and too short for regular curtains. If I have to "tailor" them, i may as well just make them. Just wish the time and money would line up in the same hemisphere.

greyswan said:
Alibi Ike said:
They make them for homeless people. And they make 'surgery pillows' that are used by patients to hang onto when trying to stand or sit up after abdominal surgery.
When my kids were 8 mo & 20 mo, we had just moved halfway across the country. I was in the courthouse in the new town to get our licenses and filling out some paperwork. Suddenly, I have a severe pain in my head, faint, and when I come to, one of the ladies from the license office has called 911 to come get me. On the ambulance, they have a small stash of these "comfort bears" that were made from rags or blankets by some Ladies' Auxillary (sp) for kids who are scared on the ambulance. My kids, who were terrified at this point, held onto these bears quite tightly. When we got to the ER, I couldn't remember my name; had no idea what the name of the new company was where my husband worked; didn't have a cell phone; and my license was from out-of-state. Those bears kept my kids comfortable and occupied until daddy showed up. To this day, 10 years later, I have NO IDEA how they found him.
Wow, glad things turned out well for you. Maybe they checked at the clerks office. I had a toy shop in an earlier life, and used to donate bears for that ride too.

greyswan said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow, glad things turned out well for you. Maybe they checked at the clerks office. I had a toy shop in an earlier life, and used to donate bears for that ride too.
I just put together a box of "stuff" (kitchen & bath) for a family that was buned out. Reading this, I now know why I included a little bear. The youngest kid is 11 months.

Funny, I literally JUST dropped off some old towels at the local vet as they do a lot of "freebie" work with homeless animals and they need them there

We started out with two sets per bed but I've lost track. We've bought new when they are on sale and had to discard some when they were bleached out by someone's acne medicine. I can imagine that the number of sheets will always be in flux.
We keep some of the not-so-pretty-anymore sheets for when family and friends visit and expect a freebie.

My excess towels and some sheets plus a set of dishes that were on a VERY high shelf so never used, plus the drapes I replaced last year and some other things I could scrounge up just left to help a family that was burned out get started again. A blind lady had geven me a could of dolls that she had crocheted outfits on and gave to me because of the doll collection here. TOTALLY did not fit in but lovely gesture. i have just been moving them around the storeroom until now. Today I found out why. The family has 2 girls - 7 & 5. They got the dolls.

get a linen marking pen and "code" new sheets, pillowcases etc when you first put them in use even "non coded" such as 0510 for May 2010 in a bottom corner, that way when you decide to start cleaning out you'll know the oldest

3 sets per bed, plus spare pillowcases. One set on the bed, one in the wash, one ready to go. If you have a linen service that doesn't give a good turnaround, you may need more. Don't forget spare blankets, quilts (duvets, matelasse covers, or bedspreads depending on what you use), and pillows.

One thought on all sheets being the same color - we have two sizes of beds (king & twin - the twin room is a draw in itself). King sheets are cream and twin sheets are white. Originally, I did this because I got a ridiculous steal on the cream colored sheets. But, no one notices unless I tell them, and when laundering, I can sort quick as a wink. Okay, maybe not that quick but side by side, it's obvious which sheets go together.

One thought on all sheets being the same color - we have two sizes of beds (king & twin - the twin room is a draw in itself). King sheets are cream and twin sheets are white. Originally, I did this because I got a ridiculous steal on the cream colored sheets. But, no one notices unless I tell them, and when laundering, I can sort quick as a wink. Okay, maybe not that quick but side by side, it's obvious which sheets go together..
Love all these tips! Thanks.

One thought on all sheets being the same color - we have two sizes of beds (king & twin - the twin room is a draw in itself). King sheets are cream and twin sheets are white. Originally, I did this because I got a ridiculous steal on the cream colored sheets. But, no one notices unless I tell them, and when laundering, I can sort quick as a wink. Okay, maybe not that quick but side by side, it's obvious which sheets go together..
Red Handed Jill said:
One thought on all sheets being the same color - we have two sizes of beds (king & twin - the twin room is a draw in itself). King sheets are cream and twin sheets are white. Originally, I did this because I got a ridiculous steal on the cream colored sheets. But, no one notices unless I tell them, and when laundering, I can sort quick as a wink. Okay, maybe not that quick but side by side, it's obvious which sheets go together.
Oh I concur on that! The new sheets I bought from Comphy Sheets are a sage for the king sets and a tan/off white for the queen sets. All the same color per bed size, is what I mean. :)

Back