Linens, How many per bed do you have?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
My bed linen counts are way out of line inventory wise. 285 flat sheets, 24 fitted, (and I bought the fitted!) How many sets should I have for each bed, two changes? Some will be discarded anyway, but that is still way too many. Beds right now are all full, will be moving to queens, All are white, so matching is not an issue.

Many hotels/motels use flats for both sheets - that is probably why you have so many. The number of sets depends a bit on your occupancy and whether you will do them yourself or use a service. I have three to five sets per room - more sets for the rooms with higher occupancy. My sheets are not completely interchangeable, though.
Can you make some into fitted? A simple turned hem at the corners with elastic threaded through would salvage some. It doesn't have to be pretty since they'll be under the mattress.

Many hotels/lodges use only flat sheets on the bed. They can make the beds fast and square and on to the next one.
Edited to add - Jinx, buy me a beer!
If you have same size beds then you don't need quite as many. Ie it have four sizes of beds here, why oh why and how, what a mistake. NEWBIES TAKE NOTE - get beds ALL THE SAME SIZE, it works in 50 diff ways to your advantage.

Many hotels/lodges use only flat sheets on the bed. They can make the beds fast and square and on to the next one.
If you have same size beds then you don't need quite as many. Ie it have four sizes of beds here, why oh why and how, what a mistake. NEWBIES TAKE NOTE - get beds ALL THE SAME SIZE, it works in 50 diff ways to your advantage..
Makes perfect sense. I assume it's okay to use one color throughout. I remember the feel of sheets, but can't say I remember the colors.

I have 3 sets per season per rom. 1 on the bed, 1 in the wash, and 1 on the shelf -BUT I am not HIGH occupancy. But even in high season when the queen room can sometimes be a revolving door, it is inough. HOWEVER I have at least 3 or 4 sets of pillowcases for every set of sheets. I cannot keep up with the ironing of the pillowcases. When I buy a set of sheets, I buy a second set of pillowcases if available.

If you have same size beds then you don't need quite as many. Ie it have four sizes of beds here, why oh why and how, what a mistake. NEWBIES TAKE NOTE - get beds ALL THE SAME SIZE, it works in 50 diff ways to your advantage..
I tell this to every innkeeper that ask for advice before opening. Have all the same color and the same size. This will make you life so much easier. I love it that way.
I have two sets per bed but with all the same it works perfect with this amount. Also when you do find the perfect sheet you got it.

I tell this to every innkeeper that ask for advice before opening. Have all the same color and the same size. This will make you life so much easier. I love it that way.
I have two sets per bed but with all the same it works perfect with this amount. Also when you do find the perfect sheet you got it.
And I MUCH prefer striped sheets (ivory on ivory or white on white). You wouldn't really think it would cut much time when making the bed, but it does for us! Stripes ALWAYS go head to foot, and it just avoids having to start over when you've got the fitted sheet half on and find out you've got it sideways. (Maybe it's not so much the time, but the aggravation factor is also important!)

The flats are generous size, and tuck under the mattress nicely. I like that they have a wide hem on each end so they can be rotated end for end for wear, but I am also a little lazy, and would rather have the fitted. I was thinking of keeping several changes each, as I have the room to store them in case laundry got backed up. (Always planning for disaster.)

And I MUCH prefer striped sheets (ivory on ivory or white on white). You wouldn't really think it would cut much time when making the bed, but it does for us! Stripes ALWAYS go head to foot, and it just avoids having to start over when you've got the fitted sheet half on and find out you've got it sideways. (Maybe it's not so much the time, but the aggravation factor is also important!)
I cheat and put dots on the bottom two pockets, the part that tucks under with green permanent marker. Match two dots and you are good to go.

3-4 par is the standard but that really depends on how many rooms you have
example if you have 15-20 rooms and they stay more than one night you could be ok with 2-3
it also depends if you do your own laundry or send it out, but the general rule is one on the bed, one in the wash and one spare.

We have all white but we have ours provided by a laundry service and they provide 3 and a half times and come twice a week and that is more than enough. I am all for having the same in all the rooms as you can simply pick up a pile of sheets and not worry about matching.

The flats are generous size, and tuck under the mattress nicely. I like that they have a wide hem on each end so they can be rotated end for end for wear, but I am also a little lazy, and would rather have the fitted. I was thinking of keeping several changes each, as I have the room to store them in case laundry got backed up. (Always planning for disaster.).
white pine said:
The flats are generous size, and tuck under the mattress nicely.
Was this why there was a huge amount of flats in the first place?

The flats are generous size, and tuck under the mattress nicely. I like that they have a wide hem on each end so they can be rotated end for end for wear, but I am also a little lazy, and would rather have the fitted. I was thinking of keeping several changes each, as I have the room to store them in case laundry got backed up. (Always planning for disaster.).
white pine said:
Lodge, under rennovation, had 34 guest rooms; onsite motel has 8 rooms, 2 beds each; and there were two log cabins total of 4 more beds.

white pine said:
Lodge, under rennovation, had 34 guest rooms; onsite motel has 8 rooms, 2 beds each; and there were two log cabins total of 4 more beds.
white pine said:
That's what I'm saying. Did they use those 250+ flat sheets as thier fitted ones?

I have about 2 1/2 changes and that's just not enough. BUT, will you have a linen service? If you will, they can let you know what you need. It certainly sounds like they only used tops sheets before. That was the way it was done way back when.

About this ironing thing...... do I gotta? *Said in a whiny voice*.
Gingerbread Latte said:
About this ironing thing...... do I gotta? *Said in a whiny voice*
No. I stopped ironing years ago. If something is really wrinkly I will pull out the iron otherwise I fold everything up and hope it self irons while it sits.
However, if you're buying new linens right now, test drive a few different kinds, some of them are horrible and you'll want to iron just because you'll be embarrassed otherwise. Don't buy anymore of those. Go with something else.

we have 3 sets per bed. No ironing.. blech! Your local animal shelter would like the excess sheets for bedding.

Back