Linking to blog

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
When and if you link to your off site blog, do you open it in a new window? Why? Why not?

My rule of thumb is generally that if it is off-site and not "wrapped" in the same navigation as the rest of the site, then I open it in a new window. if people can seamlessly jump back and forth then I suggest opening it in the same window.

I never send someone away from our website without leaving a window open, so I always have it populate a new window.

My rule of thumb is generally that if it is off-site and not "wrapped" in the same navigation as the rest of the site, then I open it in a new window. if people can seamlessly jump back and forth then I suggest opening it in the same window..
The blog looks nothing like the site, so not the same nav pane. But there is a link back to the site on the blog. Of course, I thought about this AFTER I changed a bunch of pages!
I think it would be better in a new window, for ease of use and getting back to the main site, especially if viewers go off on a tangent from the blog.
I'll change it to open in a new window. Alllllllllllll of those pages.
sad_smile.gif

Mine opens in a new window and there are several opportunities to click back to the inn's homepage from the blog, too.

My rule of thumb is generally that if it is off-site and not "wrapped" in the same navigation as the rest of the site, then I open it in a new window. if people can seamlessly jump back and forth then I suggest opening it in the same window..
The blog looks nothing like the site, so not the same nav pane. But there is a link back to the site on the blog. Of course, I thought about this AFTER I changed a bunch of pages!
I think it would be better in a new window, for ease of use and getting back to the main site, especially if viewers go off on a tangent from the blog.
sad_smile.gif

:-( Just one more reason why a dreamweaver template is the way to go. Make a change there and it is changed everywhere on the site.

sad_smile.gif

:-( Just one more reason why a dreamweaver template is the way to go. Make a change there and it is changed everywhere on the site.
catlady said:
Thanks. I needed to know that there is some software out there that lets me do that. It's kind of what I was looking for with the CSS project earlier in the year!

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
Thanks. I needed to know that there is some software out there that lets me do that. It's kind of what I was looking for with the CSS project earlier in the year!
Yes, css can change things site wide as well. If you can set it up..me...I am not that advanced:-(
I will stick to a combination of Dreamweaver and css .....that works for me. Too bad dreamweaver is sooooooo expensive:-(

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yes, css can change things site wide as well. If you can set it up..me...I am not that advanced:-(
I will stick to a combination of Dreamweaver and css .....that works for me. Too bad dreamweaver is sooooooo expensive:-(
Last time I asked about it, Swirt said I needed server side includes to do what I wanted in changing something like the link bar sitewide. I didn't check into that, probably should have and for just this reason...I knew I was going to be changing this eventually! And at 30+ pages on the site, and 2 link bars per page, it takes some time to get it all done. I do a couple of pages/day so I can make corrections and add info as I go.

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
Last time I asked about it, Swirt said I needed server side includes to do what I wanted in changing something like the link bar sitewide. I didn't check into that, probably should have and for just this reason...I knew I was going to be changing this eventually! And at 30+ pages on the site, and 2 link bars per page, it takes some time to get it all done. I do a couple of pages/day so I can make corrections and add info as I go.
Yah CSS can change appearances and behaviors site-wide but can't change content or where links take you or whether they open in new windows or not.
For that you'd either need a templating system like Dreamweaver or Kompozer or you need a server side include. The include is the best option as you update one page and it updates everywhere instantaneously. With a template system you update the template, then it updates all pages, then you have to upload each of the pages. With an include, you just update and upload one, so it is a little less hassle (marginal for only one site).

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yah CSS can change appearances and behaviors site-wide but can't change content or where links take you or whether they open in new windows or not.
For that you'd either need a templating system like Dreamweaver or Kompozer or you need a server side include. The include is the best option as you update one page and it updates everywhere instantaneously. With a template system you update the template, then it updates all pages, then you have to upload each of the pages. With an include, you just update and upload one, so it is a little less hassle (marginal for only one site).
Does Kompozer do templates like Dreamweaver? If so that is sweet. Free DOWNLOAD BREE!! at Kompozer.com

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
Does Kompozer do templates like Dreamweaver? If so that is sweet. Free DOWNLOAD BREE!! at Kompozer.com
My understanding is that it does .... I'm not sure if it handles them in exactly the same way, but I think the method is pretty similar.

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
I may just have to put on my things to do list- call the webhost and ask what they support. Then I may be back here for help!

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
I may just have to put on my things to do list- call the webhost and ask what they support. Then I may be back here for help!
THere shouldn't be a problem with what they support. Kompozer is just a piece of software to do html...nothing special needed on a server for it or dreamweaver. It was the OLD front page that required special extensions and server support :-( ..that is..if you used it their way:-(
I just looked at the help section in Kompozer. This is what is says..so yes you can create a template. I had a real novice download this software so she could edit a site I did for her in the future and she is using it very easily. Try it. NO cost;-)
Working With Templates[/h2] HTML templates are useful in cases where the author has to create several pages which have similar design but different content. With KompoZer you can design your own templates and use them as a basis for your web pages.
Creating a Template[/h3]
  1. To create a template:
    • Click on File > New, or click on the arrow besides "New" button and select "More Options"
    • Select Blank Template and click on "Create
  2. Add and format the content which will remain the same in every page with same methods used to edit normal text in a web page.
  3. For the content which will be different in the web pages, Editable Area can be inserted by clicking on Insert > Templates > Editable Area. Options available for an editable area are:
    • Area is Optional
    • Area is Repeatable
    • Area is Movable
  4. Save the file as an .mzt Template file.

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
THere shouldn't be a problem with what they support. Kompozer is just a piece of software to do html...nothing special needed on a server for it or dreamweaver. It was the OLD front page that required special extensions and server support :-( ..that is..if you used it their way:-(
I just looked at the help section in Kompozer. This is what is says..so yes you can create a template. I had a real novice download this software so she could edit a site I did for her in the future and she is using it very easily. Try it. NO cost;-)
Working With Templates[/h2] HTML templates are useful in cases where the author has to create several pages which have similar design but different content. With KompoZer you can design your own templates and use them as a basis for your web pages.
Creating a Template[/h3]
  1. To create a template:
    • Click on File > New, or click on the arrow besides "New" button and select "More Options"
  2. Add and format the content which will remain the same in every page with same methods used to edit normal text in a web page.
  3. For the content which will be different in the web pages, Editable Area can be inserted by clicking on Insert > Templates > Editable Area. Options available for an editable area are:
    • Area is Optional
    • Area is Repeatable
    • Area is Movable
catlady said:
Catlady has done all of you who can't afford a web designer and are struggling like I am SUCH a service by pointing this out!!! She pointed this out to me and it has saved me so MUCH TIME working on my website. It will be well worth anyone working on their own website to redo it using a template.
I was having to go to every page and update everything one at a time until she told me. What a time saver it is!!!
Catlady, you are worth your weight in gold!!!!
Riki

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
Creating a Template[/h3]
  1. To create a template:
    • Area is Optional
    • Area is Repeatable
    • Area is Movable
catlady said:
Catlady has done all of you who can't afford a web designer and are struggling like I am SUCH a service by pointing this out!!! She pointed this out to me and it has saved me so MUCH TIME working on my website. It will be well worth anyone working on their own website to redo it using a template.
I was having to go to every page and update everything one at a time until she told me. What a time saver it is!!!
Riki
Thanks..but I owe it all to SWIRT...he is my mentor:)

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
Creating a Template[/h3]
  1. To create a template:
    • Area is Optional
    • Area is Repeatable
    • Area is Movable
catlady said:
Riki
That's because both of y'all speak the same Geek Speak or Ancient Geek or whatever it is. I am just grateful that I know someone that is a professional that can do my website for me
wink_smile.gif
Dang...it is a chore to keep up with everything that's out there. I now have a better listing on Kayak...thank you very much. Yeesch!
Back to my tutorial on my new smart phone/PDA. lol!
I guess at some point I also need to pay my bills.........don't forget, stamps went up today to 44 cents for a letter. If you don't have the Forever Stamps, you'd better go get some 2 centers.
sad_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
Creating a Template[/h3]
  1. To create a template:
    • Area is Optional
    • Area is Repeatable
    • Area is Movable
catlady said:
Riki
That's because both of y'all speak the same Geek Speak or Ancient Geek or whatever it is. I am just grateful that I know someone that is a professional that can do my website for me
wink_smile.gif
Dang...it is a chore to keep up with everything that's out there. I now have a better listing on Kayak...thank you very much. Yeesch!
I guess at some point I also need to pay my bills.........don't forget, stamps went up today to 44 cents for a letter. If you don't have the Forever Stamps, you'd better go get some 2 centers.
sad_smile.gif

Oh he speaks it alot better than me...I just try to keep up and I have a tough time doing that sometimes.
I am about at the point where I think I have reached my limit..or at least so says my right shoulder. I MUST LIMIT my time at this computer... APPT with specialist in a few weeks...gheez...I am glad I am not dying...have to have an appt to do that too
cry_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
Creating a Template[/h3]
  1. To create a template:
    • Area is Optional
    • Area is Repeatable
    • Area is Movable
catlady said:
Riki
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
I now have a better listing on Kayak...thank you very much. Yeesch!
What do you mean? How did you get a better listing? (OK, maybe not HOW, but in what way is your listing now better?) As far as I can tell, they just picked over the changes I made and left most everything out.

Back