Lipstick at Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Other than a few heavily make-upped guests, we have rarely found lipstick on our linen napkins at breakfast. Whenever I do I always try to conjure up what guests comes down to eat wearing it. Do you have many who wear lipstick to breakfast? I guess the other way we catch it is on the coffee cup.

Lately it's been a scourge. Make-up at all is not common here so getting hit with lipstick all over the mugs is surprising. (Make-up for an evening out is common, just not for daytime.)

I get the full gambit - from lipstick to PJ's! (never at the same time though
wink_smile.gif
)

I always put on my lipstick or gloss whenever I am out and that includes breakfast :-(

Lately it's been a scourge. Make-up at all is not common here so getting hit with lipstick all over the mugs is surprising. (Make-up for an evening out is common, just not for daytime.).
Our women come with makeup Lips stick perfum . The guys with there glue hair and cologn SP?
Most young women under 25 wait till after breakfast to get dolled up. They Men /women will come to the table in our housecoats,
For the older age group all ways dressed showered and ready to go after breakfast.Yes makeup on & lipstick.

I always put on my lipstick or gloss whenever I am out and that includes breakfast :-(.
catlady said:
I always put on my lipstick or gloss whenever I am out and that includes breakfast :-(
Off topic - In this area they call it "lip shine" which always makes me chuckle, but gloss probably makes them chuckle when I say it. The other thing they say is "Hair bow" for a hair band or scrunchy.
On topic - I was just wondering about the lipstick thing. I prefer people to be dressed and expecting a nice meal, vs pj pants and socks. I guess any time you are in public that should be the case, vs the stuffmart shoppers apparel.
A nice man at the table who I had not seen until this mornign stood up to shake my hand, I immediately liked him. I am easy to please. He is from upstate NY and was here on a motorcycle. I love manners.

wink_smile.gif
).
copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
)
Well, now that you mention it...PJ's and make-up do NOT usually make an appearance on the same person!

Way too many of our guest NEVER use their napkins. Yes, DW's food is wonderful and they wolf it down, but still....put the dang thing in your lap at a minimum. Ain't nobody got no manners no more!

Lately it's been a scourge. Make-up at all is not common here so getting hit with lipstick all over the mugs is surprising. (Make-up for an evening out is common, just not for daytime.).
Our women come with makeup Lips stick perfum . The guys with there glue hair and cologn SP?
Most young women under 25 wait till after breakfast to get dolled up. They Men /women will come to the table in our housecoats,
For the older age group all ways dressed showered and ready to go after breakfast.Yes makeup on & lipstick.
Flower said:
Most young women under 25 wait till after breakfast to get dolled up.
About the same here in the pacific northwest. Partly generational style (mothers taught them how a lady acts), partly due to the tendency for the older set to get up earlier than breakfast so they have time to dress while the younger set to barely make it down before 10.

Here they are either full war paint or nothing. Rarely do they paint after breakfast.

We use paper napkins. I still cringe when people leave them on the table instead of on their plates.

Way too many of our guest NEVER use their napkins. Yes, DW's food is wonderful and they wolf it down, but still....put the dang thing in your lap at a minimum. Ain't nobody got no manners no more!.
Proud Texan said:
Way too many of our guest NEVER use their napkins. Yes, DW's food is wonderful and they wolf it down, but still....put the dang thing in your lap at a minimum. Ain't nobody got no manners no more!

Yep. I had to change my place settings - I used to put the napkin, nicely folded, in the center where the plate would go. Guests would sit...NOT put the napkin in their laps...and then when I arrived with their plates, they would look on cheerfully and expectantly...and STILL not remove their napkin. The last time I had to move someone's napkin so I could set down their entree was the last time...now I just put the napkin to the side. I don't like the look as much, but I don't like "helping" them with their manners, either (makes me feel all weird and preschool teacher-ish.).

Way too many of our guest NEVER use their napkins. Yes, DW's food is wonderful and they wolf it down, but still....put the dang thing in your lap at a minimum. Ain't nobody got no manners no more!.
Proud Texan said:

Yep. I had to change my place settings - I used to put the napkin, nicely folded, in the center where the plate would go. Guests would sit...NOT put the napkin in their laps...and then when I arrived with their plates, they would look on cheerfully and expectantly...and STILL not remove their napkin. The last time I had to move someone's napkin so I could set down their entree was the last time...now I just put the napkin to the side. I don't like the look as much, but I don't like "helping" them with their manners, either (makes me feel all weird and preschool teacher-ish.).
Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeah, what is it with the napkinless? I have to do the same thing. I feel like I have to police the table before I bring the heavy plates over. Remove the napkins, move the newspapers, I have lately been saying, 'OK, kids, time to put away the electronics...'
Yeesh.

Proud Texan said:

Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeah, what is it with the napkinless? I have to do the same thing. I feel like I have to police the table before I bring the heavy plates over. Remove the napkins, move the newspapers, I have lately been saying, 'OK, kids, time to put away the electronics...'
Yeesh.
Happens here too, and honestly I think people don't want to "mess up" your nice linens...the people who don't use them are always the really sweet, respectful ones and I think they think they are helping by not using it...it goes into the wash whether they use it or not but I don't think they realize that.

Proud Texan said:

Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeesh.
what is driving me mad at the moment is people who move their side plate or coffee cup into the middle of their place setting so when you come with the plate there is no where to put it and when you have two plates you don't have a spare hand to move it. and they just sit there looking at you grrr.

Or the side sitters, had that a moment ago, she has the chair pulled out at an angle and is sitting sideways at the table, with her arm over the place setting, so I have to say "excuse me" to put her plate down and she doesn't budge. Hard enough to GET to the place setting.
But I digress this couple are making me loopy as they go in and out dozens and dozens of times. Last night within an hour it was at least 12 times. Why? I do not know. Today I was on here and they went in and out in and out. I am not kidding last night I nearly grabbed him by the throat, it was that bad. They are older too, not some young hyper kids. !
So no shock today she would sit out and angled from the table, big shocker, NOT!

Proud Texan said:

Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeesh.
what is driving me mad at the moment is people who move their side plate or coffee cup into the middle of their place setting so when you come with the plate there is no where to put it and when you have two plates you don't have a spare hand to move it. and they just sit there looking at you grrr.
...and they just sit there looking at you grrr.
Yup, that's the worst. Which hand do you think I'm going to use to move that? So, I sit the plates down in the empty space on the table.

Proud Texan said:

Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeesh.
OK, today I set out the napkins and silverware to the left of each 'plate space'. I had NO problems today setting plates down! Geez that was too easy.

Proud Texan said:

Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeesh.
OK, today I set out the napkins and silverware to the left of each 'plate space'. I had NO problems today setting plates down! Geez that was too easy.
Alibi Ike said:
We started placing the napkin in the juice glass after having this problem. If they do not take it out themselves we do, and place it in their lap like the fancy restaurants, when we serve the juice. There is still the non users, so much so they forget it is in their lap and we find them on the floor after breakfast. You can't train the untrainable.

Proud Texan said:

Red Handed Jill said:
Proud Texan said:

Yeesh.
We roll a place setting in the cloth napkin and set it on the left or far side of the place. They have to take it in hand to get a fork! Look is informal, but matches our contemporary style.

Back