Liquor license?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Those of you who serve wine in the afternoon or have it in a pkg do you have a liquor license?

Bob, what works in one area may not in another. Best to check your local governing laws on that one.

We have to have one or it is considered 'selling alcohol without a license'. That is one dept (ATF) that we don't want to mess with! So, we do not serve wine nor do we put it in pkgs. If a guest wants wine they have to call the store themselves and have it delivered to the room.

Arkansas has a special liquor law just for B&B's! As long as an owner or manager lives on-site, and you serve a cooked breakfast, you can get a permit to serve/sell beer and wine at your B&B, even in a "dry county" and it's MUCH cheaper than the license for a restaurant or other establishment. Occasionally Arkansas surprises me with it's far-sightedness. More often they surprise me for their LACK of same!

Arkansas has a special liquor law just for B&B's! As long as an owner or manager lives on-site, and you serve a cooked breakfast, you can get a permit to serve/sell beer and wine at your B&B, even in a "dry county" and it's MUCH cheaper than the license for a restaurant or other establishment. Occasionally Arkansas surprises me with it's far-sightedness. More often they surprise me for their LACK of same!.
How bizarre it is here...IF I get a license, the guests may not consume their own alcohol in areas designated as 'alcohol imbibing zones'. Essentially, I could say the entire house and 1 acre grounds are fair game and sell alcohol at a huge profit.
OTOH, if I want to buy a bottle for ME? I have to buy it from a distributor and account for it monthly. I can't just run to the store and grab a bottle off the shelf.
There is a distributor in town but I could be required to drive to the city in order to have wine with dinner.
I have seen pkgs from other B&B's in town that have wine in them so I'm guessing others went to effort to do this.

Arkansas has a special liquor law just for B&B's! As long as an owner or manager lives on-site, and you serve a cooked breakfast, you can get a permit to serve/sell beer and wine at your B&B, even in a "dry county" and it's MUCH cheaper than the license for a restaurant or other establishment. Occasionally Arkansas surprises me with it's far-sightedness. More often they surprise me for their LACK of same!.
How bizarre it is here...IF I get a license, the guests may not consume their own alcohol in areas designated as 'alcohol imbibing zones'. Essentially, I could say the entire house and 1 acre grounds are fair game and sell alcohol at a huge profit.
OTOH, if I want to buy a bottle for ME? I have to buy it from a distributor and account for it monthly. I can't just run to the store and grab a bottle off the shelf.
There is a distributor in town but I could be required to drive to the city in order to have wine with dinner.
I have seen pkgs from other B&B's in town that have wine in them so I'm guessing others went to effort to do this.
Madeleine said:
I have to buy it from a distributor and account for it monthly. I can't just run to the store and grab a bottle off the shelf.
And here is where it gets bizarre in Arkansas, where a private club (such as a B&B alcohol license) CANNOT buy from a distributor, but MUST buy from a package store like John Q Public, including paying sales tax on it, then you have to charge the guest sales tax when they buy it from the B&B. At the "class" I was required to take when I was thinking of getting a private club license, one of the guys in the class said, "But but but that's taxing it TWICE!" The instructor's response was, "Cry me a river."
Also, it's illegal to give free drinks away, because the state wants its sales tax and they don't get it on a give away. It's all about getting their taxes off the cash cow called alcohol.

In VA you have to have one. You need to check with your state about their regs for B & B's but I am guessing...YES

In Oregon, if you have 6 or less rooms, you can sell wine and beer without a liquor license. It makes it so great for those of us not close to a big town.
Hard alcohol has to be purchased from a liquor store.

Madeleine said:
I have to buy it from a distributor and account for it monthly. I can't just run to the store and grab a bottle off the shelf.
And here is where it gets bizarre in Arkansas, where a private club (such as a B&B alcohol license) CANNOT buy from a distributor, but MUST buy from a package store like John Q Public, including paying sales tax on it, then you have to charge the guest sales tax when they buy it from the B&B. At the "class" I was required to take when I was thinking of getting a private club license, one of the guys in the class said, "But but but that's taxing it TWICE!" The instructor's response was, "Cry me a river."
Also, it's illegal to give free drinks away, because the state wants its sales tax and they don't get it on a give away. It's all about getting their taxes off the cash cow called alcohol.
That is sin, boy! SIN!!!!! If you are going to SIN, you must pay for your transgressions!!
Last Sunday it was all I could do to not laugh out loud when I saw the name of the first hymn in Church. Shall We Gather At the River. All I could think of was the story of the Preacher preaching against the sins of alcohol. Leaving Church, I heard someone else saying it also. That is one hymn that is doomed.

In VA you have to have one. You need to check with your state about their regs for B & B's but I am guessing...YES.
EmptyNest said:
In VA you have to have one. You need to check with your state about their regs for B & B's but I am guessing...YES
Yes, true. So just make sure you have a few spare license plates when you go git it!
shades_smile.gif

lrg_Moonshine_Vehicle_Claiborne%20House%20Blog.jpg

Yep, varies...
The law here used to say that a "business" could not even have liquor on the premises without having a license. Technically, we might have been out of compliance by having our own locked liquor cabinet in our private area. There was a big brouhaha over a biz giving away complimentary glasses of alcohol and the owner was taken to jail in handcuffs after this was reported to the police. This prompted a change in the law as it came out that there are many businesses that probably have liquor on site (think of holiday parties, summer BBQs, attorneys with their bottle of Jack in their desk drawer, etc.) Now, you can apply for an abbreviated license to serve "complimentary" alcohol and businesses are exempt from the law if providing alcohol for closed functions (if you invite the public, you have to have buy a permit or hire a bartending service). There is some vagueness in this new law that people can squeak by on.
It was also a big step here when we just passed Sunday alcohol sales in November.

I had know idea there are so many different laws on this. Can't wait to find out what MO. has to offer.

I had know idea there are so many different laws on this. Can't wait to find out what MO. has to offer..
Bob said:
I had know idea there are so many different laws on this. Can't wait to find out what MO. has to offer.
I've done your Stone Hill Winery tour. You should have no trouble getting your license and it will be a valuable addition to your establishment.

In Oregon, if you have 6 or less rooms, you can sell wine and beer without a liquor license. It makes it so great for those of us not close to a big town.
Hard alcohol has to be purchased from a liquor store..
Breakfast Diva said:
In Oregon, if you have 6 or less rooms, you can sell wine and beer without a liquor license.
A truly enlightened law. It does create a catch 22: as a business, I can buy wine from a wholesale distributor, but by law he can't deliver to a location lacking a license. So I have to go to the warehouse with the pick-up truck.

liquor licenses are issued by the legal authority of each province to allow an individual or business to manufacture or sell alcoholic beverages. Usually several types of liquor licenses are available to apply for within each certain province. -The Balancing Act Lifetime

Accidentally i have come across this site and little bit confused about the subject shared here. Here it discuss about the topic of liquor license but unfortunately i can’t find any related content associated with it. Hope that soon you will update with more details.ardbeg uigeadail

Back