Live Chat on website!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonatainn

Reaction score
Have anyone tried to use livechat on their website? I figure it might help with conversions if I can speak to a few clients online, and track their presense.
I have been looking at a service called "BoldChat" They have an iPhone application, so talking to potential clients anywhere will be a cinch.
Any thoughts?

My fear is that they will want to use that feature when we're not around. So, yes, the computer is up, but no one is sitting right here. I imagine there is a way to turn off that feature when you're out and about.
It sounds good. But someone has to be dedicated to sitting at the computer all day. Unless you also have to hire a service to 'take calls'.

I had one right on the main page of our site for weeks and never heard from anyone (and I'm here 24/7). When the free trial for the program ended, I got rid of it.

Are you really that busy? Do you have time to sit around and wait for someone to chat? Seems a waste of time and money to me. It would be different if you were selling products or were a Help desk. Let them call you if they have a question.
embaressed_smile.gif

Catlady, I do see you point.
One thing I like about the service (from what I read,) is that I can invite people who have just visited my website, to a chat...yes, it seems intrusive, but I may be able to convince someone to stay here just by talking to them when they visit the site....
I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

One thing I like about the service (from what I read,) is that I can invite people who have just visited my website, to a chat...yes, it seems intrusive, but I may be able to convince someone to stay here just by talking to them when they visit the site....
I dunno, maybe I'm crazy..
sonatainn said:
sonatainn, are you saying that you'd be initiating the chat rather than the prospective guest?
Because I have to tell you that as a guest that would really creep me out. It would convince me to not consider staying there.
Maybe other guests wouldn't feel that way.
But as an innkeeper, I would not do that. And as a guest, I would not like it.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy..
Knowing I am being watched and invited to a chat always creeps me out a bit....and usually it does cause me to leave the site.
Sure you may be able to cajole someone into deciding to stay, and that feels like a victory, but how many does it chase away. I would be interested in seeing the numbers as they relate to B&B's as opposed to insurance websites.

i can see where it might be helpful during the booking process ... like when you're trying to buy something online and you get 'would you like to chat with a live agent?' and a separate window opens up .... could be really helpful with those who have repetitive questions or need guidance to traverse the website. or whose credit card date has expired or they are making the same entry mistake over and over ... who need help.
i have a sister who is basically housebound. and 'live chat' and instant messaging are some of her lifelines. if she (or someone like her) was at the inn i was running and could jump into the chat with answers pretty much all throughout the day and evening, i'd let her go for it. a chime signals that she has a live message .....
if someone has a receptionist or someone dedicated to being accessible by computer a lot, then this could happen. but many innkeepers that i know jump on and off the computer and probably couldn't devote a lot of time to it.
one thing i DO NOT LIKE ... which i think you are saying about tracking my presence ... if i visit a site and i'm just browsing and a window opens asking if i need the help of a live agent ... i don't like it and will quickly leave a site and clear any tracking cookies. i realize it's frustrating to know how many visitors you have that don't book or buy, but i like the ''anonymity'' of the web.

i can see where it might be helpful during the booking process ... like when you're trying to buy something online and you get 'would you like to chat with a live agent?' and a separate window opens up .... could be really helpful with those who have repetitive questions or need guidance to traverse the website. or whose credit card date has expired or they are making the same entry mistake over and over ... who need help.
i have a sister who is basically housebound. and 'live chat' and instant messaging are some of her lifelines. if she (or someone like her) was at the inn i was running and could jump into the chat with answers pretty much all throughout the day and evening, i'd let her go for it. a chime signals that she has a live message .....
if someone has a receptionist or someone dedicated to being accessible by computer a lot, then this could happen. but many innkeepers that i know jump on and off the computer and probably couldn't devote a lot of time to it.
one thing i DO NOT LIKE ... which i think you are saying about tracking my presence ... if i visit a site and i'm just browsing and a window opens asking if i need the help of a live agent ... i don't like it and will quickly leave a site and clear any tracking cookies. i realize it's frustrating to know how many visitors you have that don't book or buy, but i like the ''anonymity'' of the web..
seashanty said:
one thing i DO NOT LIKE ... which i think you are saying about tracking my presence ... if i visit a site and i'm just browsing and a window opens asking if i need the help of a live agent ... i don't like it and will quickly leave a site and clear any tracking cookies. i realize it's frustrating to know how many visitors you have that don't book or buy, but i like the ''anonymity'' of the web.
I have completely stopped shopping at some online retailers (that had been my favorite online sites for years) because of this.
If it makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm shopping for household items, imagine how a prospective guest would feel.
Privacy is so very important to guests. I would not be willing to give them the feeling that they'd lost a bit of it just making a reservation.

one thing i DO NOT LIKE ... which i think you are saying about tracking my presence ... if i visit a site and i'm just browsing and a window opens asking if i need the help of a live agent ... i don't like it and will quickly leave a site and clear any tracking cookies. i realize it's frustrating to know how many visitors you have that don't book or buy, but i like the ''anonymity'' of the web..
seashanty said:
I have completely stopped shopping at some online retailers (that had been my favorite online sites for years) because of this.
If it makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm shopping for household items, imagine how a prospective guest would feel.
Privacy is so very important to guests. I would not be willing to give them the feeling that they'd lost a bit of it just making a reservation.
I totally agree.

If I want to chat, I will call. I do not hav etime to chat with friends online - no way I am going to chat wih an unknown person online - how do i know they are even a potential guest and not just someone fishing for info, lonely, or a weirdo? Un-uh.

Seems I fit in with the others on this one. If I am on a site and a chat line pops up, I'm so out of there!

Back