Live from Rocky Mount Virginia

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Welcome to Rocky Mount Virginia Y'all!
This is where I live, this is my town, some of you have been here. More of you need to come and visit! :)
This clip was from the news last night, featuring our town and historical society. The lady from the Historical Society who is also one of the Daughters of The Revolution, is a friend of ours.
Here is the video, as mentioned another will be live Friday evening on the "other side" of Franklin County's history, and my blip will be on a different show, same station live on Friday at noon called "My Blue Ridge."
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/explore_franklin_countys_history/112163/

Explore Franklin County’s history[/h1]
By JARETT HENSHAW
Published: July 19, 2010 Updated: July 19, 2010
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
ROCKY MOUNT - The Franklin County Historical Society Museum sits in downtown Rocky Mount.
Inside they have thousands of pictures, documents, and artifacts from the area’s history. Their Windows of Time exhibit displays the Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. In it is General Jubal Early, who served under General Lee.
“General Jubal A Early is one of our more famous persons. He was Lee’s battle man. He was a brillant military strategist and he almost took Washington,” said volunteer Doris Emaes.
Nearby are pictures of another famous Franklin Countyian Booker T Washington, who was born in the county as a slave. The museum even has a copy of a slave inventory sheet, listing ten-year-old “Booker’s” value at $400.
“He went on to be quite a famous educator and founded the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama,” said Emaes.
They’ve got a lot of unique items at the museum including this 1934 dentist chair that was later donated by someone locally and many of their items are even older.
They have a gas powered washing machine is from 1910 another one from the mid-1700’s.
“You have a little door that opens up and you put your clothes down inside and then someone would move this up and down,” said Emaes.
They’ve also got an extensive family history library following some ancestries back to the 1600’s.
“It’s always uplifting to find out that your ancestors were nice people and not outlaws,” said Emaes.
Whatever you want to know about Rocky Mount and Franklin County is at the museum and it’s all available for free.
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/explore_franklin_countys_history/112163/

Very nice that there's a focus on your town and county! Can't wait to see your segment! I can say that I have been to several of those places and it's a town that's going through some great revitalization!
Aren't you glad that washing machines have come a looooooooooooong way??
wink_smile.gif

Please come and see us! I NEED I NEED! ha ha
FYI What about Bob was filmed not far from here, in fact one of the most historic homes in this town has pieces of the SET in their basement, as soon as these guests check out I am about to go swimming over there. That "I NEED I NEED" was Bob Wiley talking to Doctor Leo Marvin. :)

I can attest to the fact that this is a wonderful place to visit - even in January!!!

Back