Living the Dream of Owning a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Living the Dream of Owning a B&B
Entrepreneurs fantasize about running a quaint bed-and-breakfast. Sometimes it works out—and sometimes it doesn't.[/h2]
WSJ article here

Sometimes dreams can be nightmares. In the second example, sounds like the lady just wasn't cut out for the life. There was nothing described in her experience that hasn't been shared numerous times in this forum.
I guess that's one thing that aspirings need to know...running a B&B has its rewards, but it's not as romantic as you fantasize. And, you have to be smart about it.
The lady complained because "her privacy was invaded". It was her own dang fault for showing guests her private quarters in the first place. She was also very thin-skinned about guests turning their nose up at one of her dishes. Get over it already!

I remember reading the book by the second B&B owner. Fact is, being an innkeeper is not a good fit for everyone. And it can be really frustrating to pour all your $$$ into a business that feels like it's consuming your life.

If she gave it her "professional best" I wonder what that is. If a guest tells an innkeeper they do not like eggs, a "professional" does not go out of their way to serve them.
I know 2 ladies who dreamed about having a B & B. Neither were suited to be innkeepers IMO. Although I did nothing to "discourage" either of them (I just said you will find the house if it is meant to be), I did not bring up the subject nor ask how things were going in that direction. Both are now settled in their residences, benefiting both them and their guests that would have been.

Sorry, I read her book. She was not cut out to be an innkeeper. Her idea of breakfast was running to Costco and stocking up on muffins and then serving quiche for days on end. Hiring help for 3 rooms so she could be out on the beach all day. Essentially, she wanted someone to pay the freight so she could live in that house. Her focus wasn't the inn or the guests, it was living in that house.
Of course she burned out.

The question is, "What kind of work do you enjoy?" The first innkeeper enjoys innkeeping as a line of work. He's got a passion for the work. It's the sort of work he can sink his teeth into. Glad to see he made it work.

Sorry, I read her book. She was not cut out to be an innkeeper. Her idea of breakfast was running to Costco and stocking up on muffins and then serving quiche for days on end. Hiring help for 3 rooms so she could be out on the beach all day. Essentially, she wanted someone to pay the freight so she could live in that house. Her focus wasn't the inn or the guests, it was living in that house.
Of course she burned out..
Just the descriptions in the article really make you feel like she was unsuitable. Now, Barry... he looks like a real cutie :)

I laughed out loud at the visual of her with her rubber gloves on sorting the laundry. This woman was a prima donna at best. NOT suitable for the WORK of innkeeping. Maybe she should be an inn-OWNER and hire someone else to do all the work. Dang! Who in their right mind would work for this woman???
I also found it very funny that she was personally offended that someone mistook her fritata for a quiche! OMG! What planet is she from??!
Barry...now there's a different story there! Great guy and wonderful innkeeper - fully embraces the essence of innkeeping!

Seems that the innkeeper in the 2nd scenario has spent a lot more time and energy getting her negative experience to slam the industry than she did running her own place. When I read the article I didn't know she was the one that wrote that negative book. Makes sense now.
It think this was a great article and an important lesson for aspirings.

Seems that the innkeeper in the 2nd scenario has spent a lot more time and energy getting her negative experience to slam the industry than she did running her own place. When I read the article I didn't know she was the one that wrote that negative book. Makes sense now.
It think this was a great article and an important lesson for aspirings..
Breakfast Diva said:
It think this was a great article and an important lesson for aspirings.
That book was making the rounds on the forum innkeeper book club, not sure who has it now, but maybe they can cough it up and pass it on? The entire book is negative, she hated the guests, hated the business, hated everything. I found it quite enlightening myself! I think it IS A GOOD read for those who want to open an inn.
I think it is pretty good that she had an inn for a measely couple of years and still get press, which is what bugs me. Now the author of the articles lives very near me, yes, 15 miles away, so too bad he didn't interview inns in the area. I know you know of the inn in the city with the single innkeeper who has the funny "Policies" page and terrible website and only accepts paypal. Well she is simply delightful in person. She would be a grand interviewee. :) and I could be the negative one...no, not moi! Everything is sunshine and posies. I would never share that rubbish in an interview, I would be The Carter Family exemplified and "Keep on the sunny side..."

The question is, "What kind of work do you enjoy?" The first innkeeper enjoys innkeeping as a line of work. He's got a passion for the work. It's the sort of work he can sink his teeth into. Glad to see he made it work..
Happy Keeper said:
The question is, "What kind of work do you enjoy?" The first innkeeper enjoys innkeeping as a line of work. He's got a passion for the work. It's the sort of work he can sink his teeth into. Glad to see he made it work.
That was our take on it. Work. It's a job. Interesting perks, but a job all the same.

Did anyone read the comments about (attached to) the WSJ article? Priceless!!
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704099704576288910347084474.html?mod=googlenews_wsj.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704099704576288910347084474.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
That first comment was so clearly written by the female ex-innkeeper. Plugging her book and her new career at the same time.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704099704576288910347084474.html?mod=googlenews_wsj.
I'm surprised the person who said they read the book felt the innkeeper's love of her job. No way. If that's the kind of B&B that person likes to stay at so be it, but there are a lot friendlier places out there.
Madeleine said:
I'm surprised the person who said they read the book felt the innkeeper's love of her job. No way. If that's the kind of B&B that person likes to stay at so be it, but there are a lot friendlier places out there.
That's the one that I'm pretty sure was left by the author or someone close to her. Read the book, named it, reviewed it positively, and gave her new website with an endorsement of her new career. Hard to believe all that comes from an unrelated package.

wrote a comment 1- any area you don't want guest in fricking keep locked!!!! what a shocker!! I read that book she had staff to do everything so have no clue what she did all day with only 3 rooms. Did the shopping and that was it as the B&B wasn't that busy! I do better than her when i am having a bad day. Today has been one of those day.
1- guest has parked in the middle have no clue who it is and they have blocked 4 cars in including mine and we were going to go out for fish and chips.
2- mad guests who are super nice but super flakey one of them didn't check out so we rang oh no we arn't going but our colleague Paulo is comming tonight. Thats nice cos that was not what was booked and no room for him. Sorted that out.
3- splitting headach and my back is killing and DH has spent all morning being really really annoying! making super stupid noises and prancing about
4- am on about day 5 of interupted nights which included as a highlight calling the police out on my nextdoor neighbours guests as they had a smackdown in the car park at 4am. idiots from devon turning up at 11.45 as they didn't read the policys and had their phone turned off all the way. Also no show in Sat who had booked the wrong weekend.
5- guests going out leaving front and back doors open despite HUGE new signs saying keep locked so other non checked in guests just wandered in and all over.

Madeleine said:
That's the one that I'm pretty sure was left by the author or someone close to her. Read the book, named it, reviewed it positively, and gave her new website with an endorsement of her new career. Hard to believe all that comes from an unrelated package.
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
and here I am thinking when they always tell us no url's in comments that they mean it. dang.
Yeah plugging her current job, come on now...

Back