Living the dream, one breakfast at a time - INN the news 10.08.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why don't they have a website that stands alone? i guess it's just three guest rooms, but i wonder why they don't have a better web presence after 13 years. just my 2 pennies.

why don't they have a website that stands alone? i guess it's just three guest rooms, but i wonder why they don't have a better web presence after 13 years. just my 2 pennies..
seashanty said:
why don't they have a website that stands alone? i guess it's just three guest rooms, but i wonder why they don't have a better web presence after 13 years. just my 2 pennies.
Because she's been there 13 years! 13 years ago, what three room B&B had a website? And after all these years of getting along without it, why struggle with one now?
I know another innkeeper who's been in business 13 years and has never sent an email...
=)
Kk.

I am in year number 13 and I had my web site up BEFORE I had my computer. There are some people who do not understand marketing - or the value of it - and never will.
Our Association did a survey several years ago asking the range of dollars spent on marketing. I was shocked at the number of inns that said $300 per year or less. That year this 3 guestroom B & B had spent almost $3000 (web hosting, brochures, Directories, ads....) - it did not take long to spend that much. But we did become known.

I am in year number 13 and I had my web site up BEFORE I had my computer. There are some people who do not understand marketing - or the value of it - and never will.
Our Association did a survey several years ago asking the range of dollars spent on marketing. I was shocked at the number of inns that said $300 per year or less. That year this 3 guestroom B & B had spent almost $3000 (web hosting, brochures, Directories, ads....) - it did not take long to spend that much. But we did become known..
Obviously, not all 13 year old veterans are the same...
shades_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Holy cow! I KNOW those places. (Except the Sampler.) I used to drive past those places everyday.

why don't they have a website that stands alone? i guess it's just three guest rooms, but i wonder why they don't have a better web presence after 13 years. just my 2 pennies..
seashanty said:
Because she's been there 13 years! 13 years ago, what three room B&B had a website? And after all these years of getting along without it, why struggle with one now?
I know another innkeeper who's been in business 13 years and has never sent an email...
=)
Kk.
I know another innkeeper who has been in business over 25 years and they finally changed the look of their website. The photos are still awful though...I mean really bad. The site is definitely "dated" looking. They just got online reservations maybe 2 years ago. It is a large property also.

seashanty said:
=)
Kk.
I know another innkeeper who has been in business over 25 years and they finally changed the look of their website. The photos are still awful though...I mean really bad. The site is definitely "dated" looking. They just got online reservations maybe 2 years ago. It is a large property also.
Samster said:
This is my theory. They are among the "if it works don't fix it" crowd. Little do they know it doesn't work. They think because they get bookings then everything is fine.
We can always improve. Always.

seashanty said:
=)
Kk.
Samster said:
This is my theory. They are among the "if it works don't fix it" crowd. Little do they know it doesn't work. They think because they get bookings then everything is fine.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Some people are as busy as they want to be. The house we bought in VT was a 'B&B' when we bought it. They only took guests who were referred by the tourist info center or repeats. They were fine with that amount of business. They suggested we do the same thing if the kids weren't going to be in the house all the time. And this was the sort of place where their clothes were in the closet and dressers. I don't think so.

seashanty said:
=)
Kk.
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Some people are as busy as they want to be. The house we bought in VT was a 'B&B' when we bought it. They only took guests who were referred by the tourist info center or repeats. They were fine with that amount of business. They suggested we do the same thing if the kids weren't going to be in the house all the time. And this was the sort of place where their clothes were in the closet and dressers. I don't think so.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
We have discussed this often, being professional versus a homestay environment. I would hope the website is homey like so people know what they are in for!

seashanty said:
=)
Kk.
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
We have discussed this often, being professional versus a homestay environment. I would hope the website is homey like so people know what they are in for!
My old house didn't even have a website (1995). But, yes, it's a good point that the website should mirror the experience. You don't want a fancy pants website if you have a homestay where guests are watching TV with your hubbie or your kids answer the door and yell, 'Mommmmmmmmm, guests,' and walk away leaving you wondering what to do.
My house was a homestay, definitely. All 3 guest rooms shared the teeny, under the eaves bathroom. There was a very nice common room, but there were no doors between the common spaces and the innkeepers' space. Because there weren't always guests, they didn't need all those doors, I guess. It was a beautiful old house, just not a B&B.

Back