Local Foods Snafu

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
So many threads on this forum we have discussed regional or local foods. Do you promote them, ie serve local specialties to your guests, etc.
Yesterday I had a kodak moment and wanted to share with you.
At the Hospital, child needs some xrays (nothing serious a possible hairline fracture) just in case we got the xrays. Picked up at school, she was hungry I was hungry. Saw vending machines (this is hospital main lobby and ER and waiting area for surgery). I bought a pack of pretzels to share. Now this is the funny part...
In the vending machine there were TWO different types/brands of PORK RINDS/Cracklins.
whattha.gif

I have never even seen them in a vending machine, let alone TWO types and in a hospital where people are having coronaries.

My experience with hospital food last week? Grab and go foods were all fried. Around the corner? A fresh sushi bar. Around the other corner? Greasy chicken and gravy, greasy veggies.
Yes, coronaries lining up all over the place. And never, in any workplace, have I ever seen more obese people than at this hospital...a CORONARY care center!
But, back to the vending machines...I can't say I've noticed any particular snack food that predominates here.
BTW, no fracture, right? Everyone is fine?

Will find out today or tomorrow about the xrays. Oh yeah smokers galore with hospital staff, even coughing without covering. Very nice and caring people, but stressed. A lesson to us all about taking care of ourselves first, so we can take care of others.

I'll bet the vending machines are supplied by the insurance companies.
It's amazing how people will blindly put anything in their pie holes without ever questioning it's source or nutritional value or, in many instances, harmful effects.

Pork rinds have zero carbohydrates so some diets rate them as THE thing to eat.
Regarding fats and salt they're about the same as potato chips. Not saying that's good for you either, but if the machine had potato chips for sale you should be complaining about that too.
Of course, if they only put dried fruit in the machine only adult females will buy it!

NHS people are the worst health brigade! We have medical conferences here all the time and they smoke and drink non stop and a good 50% are at least a stone over weight! My dad pointed out to his doctor when he said you are a bit over weight that every single member of staff at his doctors was over weight so his being 6 pounds over was hardly a big issue and a bit of a cheek!

NHS people are the worst health brigade! We have medical conferences here all the time and they smoke and drink non stop and a good 50% are at least a stone over weight! My dad pointed out to his doctor when he said you are a bit over weight that every single member of staff at his doctors was over weight so his being 6 pounds over was hardly a big issue and a bit of a cheek!.
NHS people are the worst health brigade! We have medical conferences here all the time and they smoke and drink non stop and a good 50% are at least a stone over weight! My dad pointed out to his doctor when he said you are a bit over weight that every single member of staff at his doctors was over weight so his being 6 pounds over was hardly a big issue and a bit of a cheek!
Is a 'stone' = 20 lbs?

approx
1 stone = 6.35 kilos.
kilo to lb is 2.2 kilos to 1 lb
so about 14 lbs

Goodness gracious, the cardiac hospital here has those GIANT Honey Buns in the snack area. And your pork rinds. I was looking for a piece of fruit.
Meanwhile, the last time my dh went in for additional coronary stents, there was a 32 year old young man who had more stents placed than my dh who is twice his age! Whaaaaaaaaaaat??
Yeah, they love the fried and high fat/sugar foods here EVERYWHERE. :-(

Back