Local or Regional Marketing Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I read another innkeeper here mention they had a B&B in a place without any draw for guests, ie no mountains, no ocean, no shopping mecca. This is our 'location location location' dilemma (ours as many of us have this to deal with).
What are some of the quirky things you have found to market your B&B and area? Things locals might call you mad for marketing (but they don't know anyway)?
Are there items in your local paper of interest? A quilt festival, a tractor pull, a local funky antique store? Are there things you can blog about to draw interest? Without actually making them a fixture on your website?
If you feel like it, please share your ideas here for the forum as it might spur some ideas for other innkeepers.

Artisans who are willing to share with folks. Is there a basket maker or potter in your area?
Historic sites. the hole in the wall produce store down the road that I would never again set toe into has as its claim to fame that JFK made a campaign stop there.
There is a tree not far from here that is famous because a man survived a harsh winter by crawling inside the tree. Do you have any historic markers in your area? Make a tour of markers.
I take people out to see the camel! They are fascinated with it.
Music venues - is there a place with "open mike" or has music?
Is there a breath-taking view?
I use my twisty, winding, hilly roads to attract motorcycles.
Is there something very special between you and another B & B? Do a routing that includes it and create an inn-to-inn package (Note: everyone does the same thing and do an even split of the revenue plus applicable taxes. I have the higher room rate so that is the base rate. My partners make more profit but I do nto care because I made what I want to make on it.)
Whatever you have USE IT!! Someone is interested in it. I know one B & B that gets guests who come to sit on her porch and watch the trains from the switchyards go back and forth. To most people - Big Yip! To them, it is a Big Yip.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
s you have found to market your B&B and area? Things locals might call you mad for marketing (but they don't know anyway)?
We just had some innkeepers talk about those guests, and we get some, who disappear into their rooms and don't come out for anything other than breakfast. For us, it's the people from the city who often come here to get away from the noise.
What about the "Seinfeld" approach and appeal to those types of guests? Offer NOTHING. No efforts in planning, no racing around to "see everything". Just come, lounge on a hammock, read that book you've had in your shelf for over a year, and relax doing absolutely nothing and getting pampered to boot.
Riki

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
s you have found to market your B&B and area? Things locals might call you mad for marketing (but they don't know anyway)?
We just had some innkeepers talk about those guests, and we get some, who disappear into their rooms and don't come out for anything other than breakfast. For us, it's the people from the city who often come here to get away from the noise.
What about the "Seinfeld" approach and appeal to those types of guests? Offer NOTHING. No efforts in planning, no racing around to "see everything". Just come, lounge on a hammock, read that book you've had in your shelf for over a year, and relax doing absolutely nothing and getting pampered to boot.
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
We had that on a few ocassions and I am grateful when guests get to enjoy THIS HERE, versus out and about all the time. We have had couple serenading, and reading a book out on the grounds, little quiet moments that destress them from their busy lives. That is a great marketing idea and blog article idea! 50 ways to do nothing at our BnB. Whoever writes this article - send me your link so I can see how you did it. Thanks.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
We had that on a few ocassions and I am grateful when guests get to enjoy THIS HERE, versus out and about all the time. We have had couple serenading, and reading a book out on the grounds, little quiet moments that destress them from their busy lives. That is a great marketing idea and blog article idea! 50 ways to do nothing at our BnB. Whoever writes this article - send me your link so I can see how you did it. Thanks.
Joe Bloggs said:
That is a great marketing idea and blog article idea! 50 ways to do nothing at our BnB. Whoever writes this article - send me your link so I can see how you did it. Thanks.
Someone wrote this for the New York Times - it could easily be referenced to fit your own blog take on it.

THANK YOU!.
Because nearly every business in our area is small, we've found it beneficial to cross promote each other to give the impression that our town is a "destination".
One of our best referrals comes from a Zipline attraction. Because it's so far from Dallas or Houston, people were reluctant to visit it without someplace to stay. Because it's more of an out-doorsy kind of place, their visitors were wanting that type of lodging experience to complete their outing. We fit the need perfectly. Their business improved by promoting ours and vise versa.
The same goes for the local vineyard and other area attractions.

THANK YOU!.
Because nearly every business in our area is small, we've found it beneficial to cross promote each other to give the impression that our town is a "destination".
One of our best referrals comes from a Zipline attraction. Because it's so far from Dallas or Houston, people were reluctant to visit it without someplace to stay. Because it's more of an out-doorsy kind of place, their visitors were wanting that type of lodging experience to complete their outing. We fit the need perfectly. Their business improved by promoting ours and vise versa.
The same goes for the local vineyard and other area attractions.
I Agree!

Proud Texan said:
One of our best referrals comes from a Zipline attraction.
Psychic! I was looking up zip lines in our area just today as our daughters have this huge youth bday party tonight with a zipline! I found that the ski slopes near us now have the zip lines and of course Gillum - Zip Line at The Gorge - now I will have to go back! I did this in Costa Rica 11 years ago (Canopy Tour). I am excited they have them here now! http://www.newrivergorgecanopytour.com/ and http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x374947905/No-Headline this is for anyone in WV for their marketing efforts.

Proud Texan said:
One of our best referrals comes from a Zipline attraction.
Psychic! I was looking up zip lines in our area just today as our daughters have this huge youth bday party tonight with a zipline! I found that the ski slopes near us now have the zip lines and of course Gillum - Zip Line at The Gorge - now I will have to go back! I did this in Costa Rica 11 years ago (Canopy Tour). I am excited they have them here now! http://www.newrivergorgecanopytour.com/ and http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x374947905/No-Headline this is for anyone in WV for their marketing efforts..
Thanks, JBJ. Unfortunately a bit beyond my reach, but there are many down in that region that should be using it. Guess I will just have to tell them about it.

Back