Local restaurants you recommend or don't mention

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Our guests who are younger and here for a romantic getaway from law school (winter break), not to sight-see, left for a while yesterday to just walk around town and found a local coffee/lunch place not on our list. DH is going there today with some vendors, he is often in there on business.
They were surprised to find this local sort of funky place not on our list of restaurants. The owners are British, the wife has tats and piercings, and it seems to be a fairly fun place to go for espresso and a sandwich or wrap, esp for the younger crowd.
I explained to the guests that they close at 4pm and are not open on weekends. So basically we have never had guests HERE go THERE, they are some of the first to be able to catch them while they are open. Most of our guests are out and about, or on a weekend relaxing when this joint is closed. It is next to the courthouse and does midday business only.
Do you find yourself having to EXPLAIN your local eateries more often than not?

i'd list em ... just the way you described them, really, makes me want to check them out.
i had a section of
'YOU JUST MIGHT GET LUCKY and find these places open during your visit ...'
and i listed all the places that i knew of like that.
there was a fairly decent family style restaurant about 20 minutes down the country road but at random times they'd close. not enough business i guess, so they'd simply shut the doors. even one day WHEN I CALLED AHEAD to make sure they were open, drove over and they were CLOSED. unreal! so ... i advised the guests of this. i mean, there wasn't much around!!

i'd list em ... just the way you described them, really, makes me want to check them out.
i had a section of
there was a fairly decent family style restaurant about 20 minutes down the country road but at random times they'd close. not enough business i guess, so they'd simply shut the doors. even one day WHEN I CALLED AHEAD to make sure they were open, drove over and they were CLOSED. unreal! so ... i advised the guests of this. i mean, there wasn't much around!!.
seashanty said:
I thank you for the catchy blog title! I will go and blog them, should go take some pix!
When I blog restaurants it is the worst for hours, we had guests from the UK say "Your blog said that place is open!" the article was 3 years old!!! I can't be held responsible for their hours.
Okay, I put them in a blog, I am not going to add them to the list. I have only so much space and it needs to be reserved for those restaurants that are open after 4pm when our guests need food. :) People don't read, they will go there and find them closed.

We have to explain a lot, because people don't read. We have tons of restaurants, and many are crappy tourist traps. We go out of our way to make PERSONAL recommendations for all categories of dining. Those who read, go and enjoy. I always laugh when someone says "So and So Restaurant isn't in your book", and we say "Nope, we've never had a good experience there" and they say "Yeah, neither did we". I tried to tell ya...

There is one restaurant in town we have never, ever gone to and I never knew why, we just didn't. I did go in once to ask for a cert for a prize for rail-trail - it was so dark i could not see, but it was a popular place in town. Then i met the owner at Chapel one night and KNEW why we did not go there and why I was not going to put it on my website.
do not get asked anything except where to go. I ask what they are looking for and tell them what is in this city first and then expand to the specialty places we have visited or have been reccommended by my City Manager (they eat out a lot and at places I could never afford even if DH could/would eat the food they serve).

Guests will ask how late are the restaurants open. I tell them that it is completely up to the restaurant when they decide to close. Not busy? They close early. No rhyme or reason.
Or they have a private party and don't let anyone know.

i had a section of
there was a fairly decent family style restaurant about 20 minutes down the country road but at random times they'd close. not enough business i guess, so they'd simply shut the doors. even one day WHEN I CALLED AHEAD to make sure they were open, drove over and they were CLOSED. unreal! so ... i advised the guests of this. i mean, there wasn't much around!!.
seashanty said:
I thank you for the catchy blog title! I will go and blog them, should go take some pix!
When I blog restaurants it is the worst for hours, we had guests from the UK say "Your blog said that place is open!" the article was 3 years old!!! I can't be held responsible for their hours.
Okay, I put them in a blog, I am not going to add them to the list. I have only so much space and it needs to be reserved for those restaurants that are open after 4pm when our guests need food. :) People don't read, they will go there and find them closed.
Great idea for a blog! I had a "disclaimer" in our restaurant section of our room books for the local eateries. Often, they will be closed at random times or change up their hours....or just close early because they're not busy. Unfortunately, that's why a lot of our guests would frequent the chains....consistency of food & operating hours.

This is very much great and hope fully nice blog. Every body can easily found her need able information. I am visit first time but I fond many use full article. I will back again when get time.

Back