Location, Location, Location

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a few innkeepers here who have cabins. They are near lakes or wooded areas near lakes or rivers or wine countries. I heard NY has the best wines now (LOL).
Think about what YOU like to do when you get away and what you would want to see and go from there. Obv the more the merrier on your list. If I was waterfront they would knock my doors down to book a room. location location. Rooms all with views - same same. Hot tubs AND views. I mean there are alot of variables.
Most of us are in small towns in historic crotchety bohemoths that require endless maintenance and we dream of building a new. PLUS MANY people want to take their pet on vacation with them now. That would be a great feature on your 2 acres. Like a dog park for the pets as well..
Dog park! Great idea.
One of the places we are considering is in a town that hosts frequent horse shows, but boarding horses was more than we could wrap our heads around. We're still learning how to board humans!
Problem with pets is that I have allergies, and I'd be doing most of the indoor cleaning. If they were outdoor animals, maybe it could work. Any of you have a dog park? Is that sort of like a barn for dogs with a running area? I'm guessing that doesn't sit well with the women who favor purse dogs, but for sporting dogs, perhaps?
Some thoughts from a newbie:
We are 90 minutes from the major metropolis in our State...that does not help our draw for guests one twit. They don't escape from that city to travel here unless it is for a specific event. So, it definitely depends on your geographical or regional location. What is the big draw??
I agree with JBJ & YS - variety is the spice of life! It helps to have several reasons for folks to stay with you. So far we've had folks here for their wedding night, husband/wife reunions after the husband has been deployed, a few local "getaways" (romantic), business guests, university guests, visiting artists to our major museum, (business), folks here for events at our large military installation nearby, people on their way to beaches, (family visits) people here for conventions or National competitions (events), and a few from other towns in our State (sightseeing). Our big draw over local hotels is probably that we're in a National Register Historic District in a couple of old, restored houses and our guests can walk to a lot of things.
Here's the thing - I was at the dentist today & they were asking how our business was going. In their minds (locals), they only saw a couple of "tourist" kinds of things that are about 45 minutes away as the reason for people to come to our City. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? They don't even know what's in their own backyard! That's where it helps that we are relatively new to the area :)
Before we came here, we were looking at properties that are more of what you're talking about. If you're out on property, people will see you more as a destination & be hanging around more so there is the potential that you might have to "entertain" them more or have more things for them to do right on the property. We're lucky that we have plenty to send folks to do for a several day stay, even if it rains.
Regarding the skiing - we were looking at a beautiful property in Colorado & it was just a little too far from the closest slope. You have to think of people getting from your property to the mountain. Having been a skiier for years, I wouldn't want to schlep my stuff too far once I'm someplace to ski, if you know what I mean.
Weddings & events sound great but wait until you get into the work of them! I have a good friend with almost exactly the type of setup that you're describing (without the skiing) and they now will only do weddings for 25 or fewer people. Their favorite type of weddings are elopements where the bride & groom stay with them. There's an awful lot of brouhaha with the full blown weddings!!
Best of luck with the search - many of us have been there :)
Samster said:
Some thoughts from a newbie:
We are 90 minutes from the major metropolis in our State...that does not help our draw for guests one twit. They don't escape from that city to travel here unless it is for a specific event. So, it definitely depends on your geographical or regional location. What is the big draw??
I agree with JBJ & YS - variety is the spice of life! It helps to have several reasons for folks to stay with you. So far we've had folks here for their wedding night, husband/wife reunions after the husband has been deployed, a few local "getaways" (romantic), business guests, university guests, visiting artists to our major museum, (business), folks here for events at our large military installation nearby, people on their way to beaches, (family visits) people here for conventions or National competitions (events), and a few from other towns in our State (sightseeing). Our big draw over local hotels is probably that we're in a National Register Historic District in a couple of old, restored houses and our guests can walk to a lot of things.
Here's the thing - I was at the dentist today & they were asking how our business was going. In their minds (locals), they only saw a couple of "tourist" kinds of things that are about 45 minutes away as the reason for people to come to our City. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? They don't even know what's in their own backyard! That's where it helps that we are relatively new to the area :)
Before we came here, we were looking at properties that are more of what you're talking about. If you're out on property, people will see you more as a destination & be hanging around more so there is the potential that you might have to "entertain" them more or have more things for them to do right on the property. We're lucky that we have plenty to send folks to do for a several day stay, even if it rains.
Regarding the skiing - we were looking at a beautiful property in Colorado & it was just a little too far from the closest slope. You have to think of people getting from your property to the mountain. Having been a skiier for years, I wouldn't want to schlep my stuff too far once I'm someplace to ski, if you know what I mean.
Weddings & events sound great but wait until you get into the work of them! I have a good friend with almost exactly the type of setup that you're describing (without the skiing) and they now will only do weddings for 25 or fewer people. Their favorite type of weddings are elopements where the bride & groom stay with them. There's an awful lot of brouhaha with the full blown weddings!!
Best of luck with the search - many of us have been there :)
We nearly bought in NH and the rates are so low as there are so many B&B's!!! Ski/snow mobile etc season being big there. Rates in the toilet.

Back