LOL

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Why is it that seeing 'we need to know your policies LOL' makes me cringe when I see it in an email requesting a room?

You mean like the lady who called and emailed asking our tax rate, and saying is it the same as us? (How the heck do I know what your tax rate is! and btw WHO are you? No rev #, no rez date, just a first name.) The reservation and confirmation has the tax broken down, so not sure what the question is about.

When we get that we write "guaranteed cancellation" next to their name in the book...happens EVERY time.

I have had my first two really weird email responses following online bookings just this week. The first one asked if I sold football tickets, then last night I got a reply to the Weber email from 2 weeks ago informing me that the dates were a different weekend than the one she had reserved. Not a request or an apology. So far no reply to either my voicemail or email. Should be an interesting guest. LOL

I have had my first two really weird email responses following online bookings just this week. The first one asked if I sold football tickets, then last night I got a reply to the Weber email from 2 weeks ago informing me that the dates were a different weekend than the one she had reserved. Not a request or an apology. So far no reply to either my voicemail or email. Should be an interesting guest. LOL.
I love that...like it's YOUR fault...um, you picked the dates when you did the Webervations!

When we get that we write "guaranteed cancellation" next to their name in the book...happens EVERY time..
T.W.B.B. - My wife worked at Sears in Electronics Department for many years. They has a very liberal return policy. After many months she was called into the office by the manager who took care of the returns. The Manager was questioning the note in the "special instructions" line on the receipt of almost all of her returns "T.W.B.B." She replied " This Will Be Back"
You just know when there is going to be a cancellation.
BBBBoB

It makes me cringe as well, and I usually tell them that if they are not sure of their dates to wait and book when they are. If the rooms are available.
Riki

lol? i have no idea why that is in their email. did they make a reservation?

I normally book my stays upwards to 4 months out and I can tell you from experience that some Inn's change things on their website from when I book to when I stay....the last time I stayed at multiple Inn's during a vacation I emailed each one and asked them about their cancellation policy so that I would have it in writing from them. It gives me some peace of mind in case something happens to have an email directly from the Innkeeper stating their policies. Doesn't mean I have any notion of canceling, I LOVE my vacations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point GG.
Does every inn send their policies WITH their confirmation? If not, please start! As Samster stated so many inns do not even send a confirmation in the first place. Changing policies is as easy and typing them in, so I can understand this as well.

lol? i have no idea why that is in their email. did they make a reservation?.
seashanty said:
I'm on the 4th email now. Don't know if they will or they won't.
Morticia said:
seashanty said:
Good grief, that is just like a kid and a loose tooth... I say bring on the string!

Good point GG.
Does every inn send their policies WITH their confirmation? If not, please start! As Samster stated so many inns do not even send a confirmation in the first place. Changing policies is as easy and typing them in, so I can understand this as well..
Joey Bloggs said:
Good point GG.
Does every inn send their policies WITH their confirmation? If not, please start! As Samster stated so many inns do not even send a confirmation in the first place. Changing policies is as easy and typing them in, so I can understand this as well.
That is a MUST, I want my guests to have all the info they need for their reservation right on the confirmation page. I do recall another thread about confirmation pages where I recall reading it is best to keep it to one page, as they do not read it anyway, but at least if they ask you can say READ YOUR CONFIRMATION!!!

Good point GG.
Does every inn send their policies WITH their confirmation? If not, please start! As Samster stated so many inns do not even send a confirmation in the first place. Changing policies is as easy and typing them in, so I can understand this as well..
Yes, we send policies with every written confirmation. Most are by email, and we always request a quick reply so that we will know they have received everything. We only have a handful of frequent guests that we don't send written confirmations to. One is scheduled to be here several nights soon. He is such a model guest and a truly great individual who makes innkeeping a joy, that should he cancel, no way are we charging him a deposit. I did send him an email today listing all the events and activities that will be happening while he is here so that he may avail himself to the live theatre, our annual international festival, and even the yearly library book sale. Yes, the book sale. Once he was here during the sale, saw the signs and became a customer. Today's email just reminds us both that we are looking forward to his next visit. If all guests were as low maintenance and enjoyable, I could do this job til I am 99!
We do have a new couple arriving tomorrow and we don't know if they have seen our policies. They are the recipients of a gift certificate from a relative who handled all of the arrangements. I snail mailed the entire confirmation to the relative, along with a second confirmation with a formal GC, minus rate info addressed directly to the gc recipients for him to deliver to them as a gift. In their packet, I included policies, driving directions, restaurant info, a handful of brochures, and a list of current events. Our most serious policy, even more serious than deposit and cancellation requirements is our total non-smoking policy. Although I grew up the daughter of a tobacco farmer, worked in it all through my youth, never smoked, I am now so allergic to cigarette smoke that I have serious upper respiratory problems when I expose myself. January 1, NC law required that all restaurants become non smoking. Last time we had a smoker who fouled up a guest room, I wound up with two visits to the dr, and two rounds of antibiotics to finally quell the results. Mostly because our housekeeper at the time was also allergic and could not help me clean the room, which stayed out of use for over a week while we had all the furniture, rugs, etc., cleaned. (Yes, we charged them, and yes they paid, and no they cannot return.) Then, when the cigarette fire burned the inn in Rome, GA, one Thanksgiving, we made our final decision: not only would our policy state no smoking inside, but no smoking anywhere on the property. We are so serious that if we have workman who are here for a repair (one of our ac units went on the blink today!), we tell them up front our policy...and that for each and every cigarette butt we have to pick up, we subtract $10 off their invoice. They all know us now and still work for us.

lol? i have no idea why that is in their email. did they make a reservation?.
seashanty said:
Morticia said:
seashanty said:
Good grief, that is just like a kid and a loose tooth... I say bring on the string!
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
seashanty said:
String applied, reservation made.

Good point GG.
Joey Bloggs said:
Good point GG.
That is a MUST, I want my guests to have all the info they need for their reservation right on the confirmation page. I do recall another thread about confirmation pages where I recall reading it is best to keep it to one page, as they do not read it anyway, but at least if they ask you can say READ YOUR CONFIRMATION!!!
Brevity would be wonderful, but...I natter on. Directions, policies, dates, room info...it all comes to 2 pages now.

All I can say is ...... LOL
teeth_smile.gif

I have had my first two really weird email responses following online bookings just this week. The first one asked if I sold football tickets, then last night I got a reply to the Weber email from 2 weeks ago informing me that the dates were a different weekend than the one she had reserved. Not a request or an apology. So far no reply to either my voicemail or email. Should be an interesting guest. LOL.
hmmmm...sounds like a no-show or the guest will show up unexpectedly. Good luck!

Back