Long Term Rental

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
We are renting one kitchenette room by the week this winter. It has been 4 weeks so far and, although they know they need to be out by this week, they are still with us.
It is someone we know who is shopping for a permanent place.
I don't like it. I had thought it was a good way to have steady income during the winter, but mostly it's a way to never have the house to ourselves. And I can't see the room. I like the idea of checking on the rooms every day.
(I know I have every legal right to go in there, but she is renting the room as a living space, so I don't intrude.)
She pays by the week and has been changing her sheets, but still. I am uneasy.
I am glad we tried it with someone we know and trust, but we won't be doing it again.

It may have been her living space, but the agreement should have included cleaning and sheets change once a week. That way you could have checked things out. I realize it is too late now, but that would have eased your concerns.
I have done it in the past - the longest was 11 weeks - and that worked out OK. The pipeline people and the welders were told boots did not leave the porch for this side of the door and it worked out. I gave no breakfast for the weekly rate other than coffee and I kept a bowl of apples on the dining room table. It was sweet to have revenue through the winter. And yes, I would do it again.

You have to be careful with these as, depending on your state regs, she becomes a tenant after 29-30 days. Then you have to file eviction notices they the court if she refuses to leave, and she has tenant rights at that point.
Worst case. Hoping she just leaves as planned.

You have to be careful with these as, depending on your state regs, she becomes a tenant after 29-30 days. Then you have to file eviction notices they the court if she refuses to leave, and she has tenant rights at that point.
Worst case. Hoping she just leaves as planned..
We considered that. We have done nothing to address it, just considered it.
I know the living arrangements are tight. No one really wants to live in one room with a wet bar.

Worst case. Hoping she just leaves as planned..
We considered that. We have done nothing to address it, just considered it.
I know the living arrangements are tight. No one really wants to live in one room with a wet bar.
Even if she just leaves for the weekend and you get in to clean and have the room open for sale, that is supposed to reset the clock. But less than 29 days.
One of the local inns had a problem with that. She demanded all the sales tax back because she was a tenant now. Had her mail forwarded to the inn. Wouldn't let them in to clean but complained the room was dirty.
What a mess. BTW, those are the kinds of calls we get in April!

People looking for long term rental here all had "service dogs" and one smoked medical stuff. We now say, "Sorry, we don't do long term rentals."

People looking for long term rental here all had "service dogs" and one smoked medical stuff. We now say, "Sorry, we don't do long term rentals.".
We added an apartment just outside the B&B five years ago. Some long termers. A couple with two dogs just left. They were there for a month. Very clean. These two came from Air.
just checked in another to the new apartment in a nearby city. She will be there for a month. Small dog. I am hoping for longer termers in the city apt. I'll list it on our site and on Air soon.
so far the pet people have been great. If you're set up for it - it can be a good niche.
ive heard from several guests that we are the only ones in the area who accept pets. So far...so good.

I did some long term rentals in the past and they worked out very well, BUT it was in our second house so I didn't feel like our long term guests were intrusive at all. I negotiated different terms depending on price, time of year, etc. Many of my long term guests were here as either guest artists for our university or museum of art. They were all super guests.
What didn't work out well for me, was renting out part of our second house prior to opening the biz. Had several issues with the tenant. I did provide weekly cleaning and linen services as part of that agreement in order to check on the property. That experience turned me against ever being a landlord again. (And we had owned a rental house in the past.)
It can be a good source of revenue for your B&B if the boundaries, included amenities, price, and other terms are spelled out quite clearly in advance.

Peace of mind is important. If you're really concerned about damages and don't want to wait until check-out to inspect the room, I'm sure your attorney and/or insurance carrier would support a policy change. Effective immediately, you must conduct routine inspections in order to protect your inn and your guest(s) against potential liability issues (electrical, fire, building code violations, slips and falls). This wouldn't be required for daily rentals since you service the rooms regularly. Give your extended stay guest adequate notice (2-3 days) of the inspection. Throw in a $5.00 gift card for the inconvenience of it all. It shouldn't be a problem. If it is, you likely have cause for concern...

You can go and talk to them without any hesitation and ask them to leave as you are planning to rent it out to someone else.

Hi my wonderful long term rental. We're having all the (windows washed, rugs cleaned, floors finished or fill in the blank) on March .... and we'll need access to your room on that day for two hours. What time works for you? This if you just can't bring yourself to say you'd like to come in .... that room is due for a cleaning.as I assume she's not vacuming etc. ?

Hi my wonderful long term rental. We're having all the (windows washed, rugs cleaned, floors finished or fill in the blank) on March .... and we'll need access to your room on that day for two hours. What time works for you? This if you just can't bring yourself to say you'd like to come in .... that room is due for a cleaning.as I assume she's not vacuming etc. ?.
think that's the way to handle it otherwise the work it will take to get straight again when they go will be enormous!

Hi my wonderful long term rental. We're having all the (windows washed, rugs cleaned, floors finished or fill in the blank) on March .... and we'll need access to your room on that day for two hours. What time works for you? This if you just can't bring yourself to say you'd like to come in .... that room is due for a cleaning.as I assume she's not vacuming etc. ?.
think that's the way to handle it otherwise the work it will take to get straight again when they go will be enormous!
Yes, this is a great idea! I would want to wait until she checks out to do some of the projects listed above. You can tell your guest that you are preparing for the upcoming season and must go through the room to take an inventory of maintenance issues/projects you'll need to schedule. I would even make a checklist of things to look for like:
Door (surfaces, handles, hinges, deadbolt and locks)
Sprinklers and smoke detectors
Carpet seams
Furniture for signs of damage or distress
Ceilings, walls, baseboards and crown moldings
Windows
Air conditioning units
Water fixtures
Toilet
Signs of water damage or mold
Electrical outlets
Kitchen appliances, fixtures, and disposal (if equipped)
Check cable and internet systems
Check mattresses (she'll need to remove her sheets).
Also, ask your guest if there is anything she feels should be addressed. I notice much more when I actually sleep in the guest room.
I do think this is fixable. Good luck!

Back