Look after YOU

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
A lot of you have a better personal perspective on being an innkeeper than I do - ie you do an excellent job of balancing your work life and your personal life in an industry where the boundaries will be challenged.
I am of the innkeeping personality type that every guest is a personal challenge, an adrenaline rush. It doesn’t matter how bad I feel or how hungry I am my drive turns towards “who are they”, “what will make THEM happy”, “how much of ME do I need to invest to make up for the fact that the house needs painting” etc etc etc. Ironically, the more good reviews I get, the more the obligation grows. If they’ve read that I’m good – I feel I have to be better to deserve it. All this, the economy and the immediacy of the day to day tasks let me keep my mind off whether or not I’M doing OK.
About 10 days ago I ended up in the ER because my blood sugars were seriously out of control. Now, this is NOT an “OMG I hope you’re doing better” post – because I am. This is a serious reminder that you HAVE to look after yourself first. Have breakfast, have lunch. Pay attention to what your body is telling you – if it says it’s exhausted don’t look to the next guest to help you “forget it”.
Looking back on my post a few weeks ago when I “lost it” for the first time pre-season I can see the warning signs. I also see a number of my very dear, fellow innkeepers were feeling the same way. PLEASE look after yourselves and even if it’s to the minor detriment of your guests (which it won’t be) stop and smell the roses, try and get some perspective and remember YOU come first. It’s YOU your guests are coming for, so make sure YOU are OK.
I've told you before, I am great at giving advice but very bad at taking or following it. This time, I'm taking my own advice.

Great points made here. The 'innkeeping personality' does not always lend itself well to putting ourselves first. You are so correct that you must put yourself first...or else you end up having nothing left to give your guests.
Sorry to here that you had to go to the ER but it sounds like you are feeling better. Keep up the good work!

Oh Sweetie. (No, if your blood sugar is out of whack, maybe I shouldn't say 'sweetie'.
wink_smile.gif
)
Thank you for the very timely reminder that we need to look out for ourselves. We've had some pills lately but I can see the change in me. I gripe about them and let them go. My new philosophy is this- I can only provide the best place I can; I cannot make you enjoy yourself.
IOW- I present the product, either you like it or you don't, but no extra pressure on me to jump thru more hoops to make the guest something they are not.
Uh oh, does this mean you have to lay off the G&T and dancing in the yard by the BBQ?

When so much of the sucess of the business is defined by YOU. It is hard to not take that part seriously. Balance is the key and so hard to achieve.

Oh Sweetie. (No, if your blood sugar is out of whack, maybe I shouldn't say 'sweetie'.
wink_smile.gif
)
Thank you for the very timely reminder that we need to look out for ourselves. We've had some pills lately but I can see the change in me. I gripe about them and let them go. My new philosophy is this- I can only provide the best place I can; I cannot make you enjoy yourself.
IOW- I present the product, either you like it or you don't, but no extra pressure on me to jump thru more hoops to make the guest something they are not.
Uh oh, does this mean you have to lay off the G&T and dancing in the yard by the BBQ?.
Uh oh, does this mean you have to lay off the G&T and dancing in the yard by the BBQ?
hmmmm - moderate yes .... but that's been super easy to do. I've been leaning that way for a while now - my glucose levels were making me feel that way without any need for "enhancement" so G&Ts have become an occasional friend recently. My real problem is that I've obviously been living with silly blood sugar levels for a while and had adapted to it, so when they got "bad" they were really bad ... and it's ALL down to being stubborn and stupid and stressed.
We (of course) had guests here when I "went in". DH took over and they were FANTASTIC. This morning, one room called in on their way home to make sure I was doing OK. He's a retired MD so sat me down and went over what changes I'd made :)

wink_smile.gif
)
Uh oh, does this mean you have to lay off the G&T and dancing in the yard by the BBQ?.
We've had some pills lately
I think I'd also rather you didn't mention "pills" right now either
teeth_smile.gif
. Doing what I can to keep from having to take them - lost 10 lbs already.

Glad you're better and are taking your own advice! Most of us have those caring personalities that get us into trouble....taking care of everyone else first and putting ourselves waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the bottom of the list. Not good. But that is what makes us fantastic innkeepers! :)
Keep taking care of YOU! Thanks for the great advice and sharing your story with us.

Glad you're better and are taking your own advice! Most of us have those caring personalities that get us into trouble....taking care of everyone else first and putting ourselves waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the bottom of the list. Not good. But that is what makes us fantastic innkeepers! :)
Keep taking care of YOU! Thanks for the great advice and sharing your story with us..
Thanks for the great advice and sharing your story with us
As you can probably tell by the delay in posting, I really wasn't comfortable with "sharing" (I love venting but can't stand a "pity party"), but decided to do so because there are too many of "me" out there.

Keep taking care of YOU! Thanks for the great advice and sharing your story with us..
As you can probably tell by the delay in posting, I really wasn't comfortable with "sharing" (I love venting but can't stand a "pity party"), but decided to do so because there are too many of "me" out there.
Yeah, I hear you! I was with a group of neighbors yesterday. Many people commented on how I looked much better than the last time they saw me (pre closing the B&B). Nice.
That's what sleep, living a healthier lifestyle, and losing weight will do for you. ;-) Keep up the good work of taking care of YOU - don't forget, you deserve to be Number One on the list!!

I'll add my thanks. So far I'm still in the "not as busy as I'd like to be" category, so I've been able to pace myself pretty well. I will try to remember your sage advice when the time comes. In the mean time, please accept a long distance hug.

so glad you are feel better, UK. as one who stayed with you, i can attest to how hard you work, how you throw yourself into making every little thing perfect. good advice to remind all the innkeepers to take care of themselves.

Back