Looking for a lake cabin rental or quiet place in Massachusetts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
Hi

My friends are not being allowed to go to Moosehead Lake Maine for their annual cabin stay there due to covid travel restrictions.

Is there anyone on here with a rental of similar place in Massachusetts? I will point them in your direction. Older, active couple loves kayaking and hiking.

Thanks

They can go to Maine! They need a negative Covid test within 72 hours prior to arrival.

Or they just need to quarantine for 14 days or the duration of their stay, whichever is shorter. And if they did the test route, they should quarantine from the time they give their sample until they get their test results back or they arrive in Maine whichever is later.... Now quarantine doesn't mean they are stuck inside --they can still go hiking, kayaking, etc... they just can't interact with other people, so no going to the store, out to eat, or anything like that....

Perhaps it's just the place they usually stay that is not welcoming Massachusetts residents? They could certainly quarantine in our cottages on the shore (except we are already full until August 29, barring any cancellations).

Thank you for the clarification. They told me their reservation was canceled by the place they usually stay due to Covid. Please bear in mind, this is all second hand information I am getting. There are details I don't know. They are looking for a place to stay in Mass where they are.

Or is it Massachusetts that is imposing the travel restriction? In that upon their return to Mass from Maine, their home state would require them to quarantine for 14 days... I gather Mass has a 14-day Q requirement for people coming into that state now, but maybe the other New England States are exempt?

The source for the Maine requirements: Keep Maine Healthy | Covid-19

Or is it Massachusetts that is imposing the travel restriction? In that upon their return to Mass from Maine, their home state would require them to quarantine for 14 days... I gather Mass has a 14-day Q requirement for people coming into that state now, but maybe the other New England States are exempt?

The source for the Maine requirements: Keep Maine Healthy | Covid-19
MA is being very gracious in allowing Maine to travel freely there. It’s not the same in reverse.

No one is doing the post test quarantine. Guests are leaving work and going directly on vacation. Or, getting on planes.

Thank you for the clarification. They told me their reservation was canceled by the place they usually stay due to Covid. Please bear in mind, this is all second hand information I am getting. There are details I don't know. They are looking for a place to stay in Mass where they are.
My guess is the place may be closed. Or, they don’t want local grief for bringing in people from out of state. Some towns out in the ‘wilderness’ do not want out of state tourists.

MA is being very gracious in allowing Maine to travel freely there. It’s not the same in reverse.

No one is doing the post test quarantine. Guests are leaving work and going directly on vacation. Or, getting on planes.

Well, I didn't say that that is what people are actually doing, rather my implication was intended to be that that is the apparent expectation and would be "best practice." A lot of people aren't actually doing what they really should be doing, unfortunately....

My own experience, being in Mass., some people here are angry at being told they can't just plan a quick getaway and go ... and some are just going anyway. They say they'll risk a fine. (Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are hugely popular). With our numbers so much higher, I don't blame other state officials for trying to keep a handle on things. Last minute trips just can't happen.
Following the rules, if I have a negative test result within 72 hours, I can go up?
What if the place belongs to you? Should you have a negative test first and then you can go? You might have to stop for gas (hopefully not) and possibly need supplies suddenly. Once you got there, assuming you stay put ... is that allowed? You should hear the different conflicting things people are saying!
I have been super cautious and isolated. If I am carrying the virus, I would be shocked. But my neighbors in my little development all walk around without masks. They don't react at all to my masked face, that's not an issue. I am usually very friendly, but not right now - I wave and hurry away because they don't keep their distance.
This is a year unlike any other in my memory - when I was young, we shared a private camp in Maine with family and had our time to go on the calendar. But also, there were many weekends when it was open or someone's plans suddenly changed and we'd pack the car, drive right up after supper on Friday and drive back late on Sunday. How I loved it!

Hi

My friends are not being allowed to go to Moosehead Lake Maine for their annual cabin stay there due to covid travel restrictions.

Is there anyone on here with a rental of similar place in Massachusetts? I will point them in your direction. Older, active couple loves kayaking and hiking.

Thanks

Hi SS, in a normal year I would say send them to our ocean view cottage, but unless they have stayed with us before we are not taking guests. We need a level of trust that our guests will take care of the cottage and we simply can not know that unless they have stayed with us before. Since we are not entering the cottage for the entire week of a guest's reservation, it is important to us to feel secure that they will not abuse it. I have even turned away returning guests, who I noted from past stays, leave big daily messes, and who needed daily housekeeping to prevent permanent damage.

As you know, we are in a location that would suit them and their active lifestyle. I'll keep my ears tuned in for anything down here that might be available. They sound like our kind of guests...I'm sorry to lose them!

Vermont requires out-of-staters from hotspot counties quarantine before coming for 14 days, or 7 days after a negative covid test.

@Silverspoon We had a guest here for 8 days. We did not know her and she kept extending. We’re also not going into rooms for cleaning. We asked every day if she needed anything. Of course I was worried!

When she finally checked out it looked as if no one had been in the room other than the towels were used. I know we lucked out on that one!

Other guests have gone out leaving the a/c on all day or we have found stains on our brand new bedding. It’s an ongoing crapshoot.

Hi SS, in a normal year I would say send them to our ocean view cottage, but unless they have stayed with us before we are not taking guests. We need a level of trust that our guests will take care of the cottage and we simply can not know that unless they have stayed with us before. Since we are not entering the cottage for the entire week of a guest's reservation, it is important to us to feel secure that they will not abuse it. I have even turned away returning guests, who I noted from past stays, leave big daily messes, and who needed daily housekeeping to prevent permanent damage.

As you know, we are in a location that would suit them and their active lifestyle. I'll keep my ears tuned in for anything down here that might be available. They sound like our kind of guests...I'm sorry to lose them!
oh my! you can totally trust this couple. i would stake my own reputation on that. but you must do what works for you.

My sister-in-law has 2 places on Winnekeag Lake in Ashburnham MA. Check out their listings on Airbnb: Vacation Rentals, Homes, Experiences & Places - Airbnb and Vacation Rentals, Homes, Experiences & Places - Airbnb
thank you. i'll pass it along. they said they weren't looking for an 'air' but aren't most cottages listed that way? i used to find weekly cottage rentals on vrbo. just looked at the listings. nice places! they are booked out for august, one for both august and september.

Last edited:
@Silverspoon We had a guest here for 8 days. We did not know her and she kept extending. We’re also not going into rooms for cleaning. We asked every day if she needed anything. Of course I was worried!

When she finally checked out it looked as if no one had been in the room other than the towels were used. I know we lucked out on that one!

Other guests have gone out leaving the a/c on all day or we have found stains on our brand new bedding. It’s an ongoing crapshoot.
so hard! i had guests for just two nights who would leave absolutely soaking wet towels on the beds and wooden chairs. shocking, really. it happened over and over again. they weren't trying to be 'bad guests' but who does that at home? who wants to get into a wet bed? who wants to risk damaging their furniture? baffling.

thank you. i'll pass it along. they said they weren't looking for an 'air' but aren't most cottages listed that way? i used to find weekly cottage rentals on vrbo. just looked at the listings. nice places! they are booked out for august, one for both august and september.
They are also listed on VRBO.

so hard! i had guests for just two nights who would leave absolutely soaking wet towels on the beds and wooden chairs. shocking, really. it happened over and over again. they weren't trying to be 'bad guests' but who does that at home? who wants to get into a wet bed? who wants to risk damaging their furniture? baffling.
Exactly. Some guests are really nice people but they are kind of oblivious when on vacation. Normally I take it in stride as as part of the job and actually enjoy setting the room right...looking perfect each day. But an entire week without housekeeping with sandy floors, wet towels hung on doors and unwashed dishes and crumbs would make me weep.

Back