Looking for a new web host OR help with the one I have.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just spent 30 seconds on the phone with tech support at my webhost. I wanted to redirect my blog to my website, which one tech guy helped me do yesterday. Today, I edit the settings on my blog to point to my website and I get an error saying the DNS server is not set up. I wait a few hours, going over the 24 hours the tech guy said it might take.
Still doesn't work. So I call again. New tech guy says, 'We don't support that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.' Period.
So, for $20/month I get no support for the one thing I called them for in probably 3 years. And yet, cheaper webhosts have no problem with what I want to do.
I'd appreciate help in resolving the problem, ie- suggestions for things others have done t make this work, or the name of a webhost that supports what I'm trying to do. When I tried setting up a blog 4 years ago they told me they didn't support that, I figured they might have figured it out by now.

Your blog is currently on Blogger and you want to redirect that to your website because you are now hosting the blog on your site? Or are you trying to assign a subdomain to your blogger blog?
I use 1and1 for most of my B&B hosting. It could do what you want without needing to speak to anyone.

Your blog is currently on Blogger and you want to redirect that to your website because you are now hosting the blog on your site? Or are you trying to assign a subdomain to your blogger blog?
I use 1and1 for most of my B&B hosting. It could do what you want without needing to speak to anyone..
What I tried to do was set a CNAME to point the blog at 'blog.myinnname.com' instead of 'myinnname.blogspot.com'.
The CNAME part is set up. It shows under the domain names in my list of names on the webhost. When I go to do the Blogger part, redirecting the blogspot id to 'blog.myinnnmae.com,' it says the DNS server is not set up properly.
Blogger looks at that as custom hosting.
Did that answer the question you asked?
embaressed_smile.gif

I use 1and1 for most of my B&B hosting. It could do what you want without needing to speak to anyone..
I called because I didn't know where to go to do the CNAME setup. It was easy once I was there. My gripe (and I do have one!) is why let me do this at all if it's not supported? The second tech guy said, when asked how come other webhost do this, 'They don't do it right.'
1and1 was one of the hosts that Blogger had directions for. I thought I had a good hosting company. I kind of hate to move, not knowing exactly how to do that, but I also don't want to not be able to do things I need or want to do.

What I tried to do was set a CNAME to point the blog at 'blog.myinnname.com' instead of 'myinnname.blogspot.com'.
The CNAME part is set up. It shows under the domain names in my list of names on the webhost. When I go to do the Blogger part, redirecting the blogspot id to 'blog.myinnnmae.com,' it says the DNS server is not set up properly.
embaressed_smile.gif

Yep, that answers it. They should certainly be able to do that. And the fact that it shows it in your list on your control panel, that should be enough. Can you verify that the setup of the cname is correct .. it might show the subdomain but not actually be pointing it to bloggers name server.
I'd try calling tech support again ... you might have gotten someone who was afraid to admit they didn't know what you were asking.
And yes, in 1and1 this takes only a minute or two to setup and 5 minutes to propagate for ~1/4 what you are paying.

So is this that issue about changing cname to redirect the blogger stuff to your own domain???? My hosting company still hasn't resolved that issue for me. She just wants me to switch to wordpress which I don't want to do because my client has everything set up the way he wants on blogger and I don't want to deal with trying to train him to use wordpress:-(

embaressed_smile.gif

Yep, that answers it. They should certainly be able to do that. And the fact that it shows it in your list on your control panel, that should be enough. Can you verify that the setup of the cname is correct .. it might show the subdomain but not actually be pointing it to bloggers name server.
I'd try calling tech support again ... you might have gotten someone who was afraid to admit they didn't know what you were asking.
And yes, in 1and1 this takes only a minute or two to setup and 5 minutes to propagate for ~1/4 what you are paying.
They told me 24 hours to propagate, so I waited. Blogger says it might be 48 hours, so I might try again. And then call again like you said to get someone else. Like they guy who seemed to think this was no big deal who helped me yesterday.
I can copy the line out here and everyone can take a look. Now, I know I set it up to say one thing and today it is different. It appears that my website domain was added to the end of ghs.google.com so maybe that's the problem.

I called because I didn't know where to go to do the CNAME setup. It was easy once I was there. My gripe (and I do have one!) is why let me do this at all if it's not supported? The second tech guy said, when asked how come other webhost do this, 'They don't do it right.'
1and1 was one of the hosts that Blogger had directions for. I thought I had a good hosting company. I kind of hate to move, not knowing exactly how to do that, but I also don't want to not be able to do things I need or want to do.
Moving would look something like this.
  1. Create an account with 1and1.
  2. After you have access to the account. Use the new FTP username and password to upload a copy of your current site to a folder on your new server.
  3. On your old host, set up your old email accounts to forward to some non-domain account like gmail or yahoo or whatever. (this keeps you from losing any mail that would have gotten lost in the gap between when you last checked your email and when the switch actually takes place)
  4. After you are sure all your files are up there, either point your dns entry for your domain name to the 1and1 name server (change would take place immediately) or transfer your domain name to 1and1 (this typically takes 7-10 days for the transfer of the domain to complete).
  5. As soon as you've requested the dns change or domain transfer, set up your new email accounts and tell 1and1 to point your domain to the folder you put your website in.
Then once all that is in place and working correctly, set up the subdomain for your blog and follow the steps you found for the cname change to Blogger.

So is this that issue about changing cname to redirect the blogger stuff to your own domain???? My hosting company still hasn't resolved that issue for me. She just wants me to switch to wordpress which I don't want to do because my client has everything set up the way he wants on blogger and I don't want to deal with trying to train him to use wordpress:-(
Yes. I don't want to change, either. I like Blogger. It's easy for me to do what I want.

embaressed_smile.gif

They told me 24 hours to propagate, so I waited. Blogger says it might be 48 hours, so I might try again. And then call again like you said to get someone else. Like they guy who seemed to think this was no big deal who helped me yesterday.
I can copy the line out here and everyone can take a look. Now, I know I set it up to say one thing and today it is different. It appears that my website domain was added to the end of ghs.google.com so maybe that's the problem.
It appears that my website domain was added to the end of ghs.google.com so maybe that's the problem.
Yah that doesn't sound right.

2. After you have access to the account. Use the new FTP username and password to upload a copy of your current site to a folder on your new server.
  3. On your old host, set up your old email accounts to forward to some non-domain account like gmail or yahoo or whatever. (this keeps you from losing any mail that would have gotten lost in the gap between when you last checked your email and when the switch actually takes place)
  4. After you are sure all your files are up there, either point your dns entry for your domain name to the 1and1 name server (change would take place immediately) or transfer your domain name to 1and1 (this typically takes 7-10 days for the transfer of the domain to complete).
  5. As soon as you've requested the dns change or domain transfer, set up your new email accounts and tell 1and1 to point your domain to the folder you put your website in.
Then once all that is in place and working correctly, set up the subdomain for your blog and follow the steps you found for the cname change to Blogger.
Can I still use FP? Diehard that I am.

My hosting company still hasn't resolved that issue for me.
Seriously? That is pretty scary. Any hosting company that can't handle that (even if they don't have a tool so you can change it yourself) really shouldn't be..... errr a hosting company.

Yes. I don't want to change, either. I like Blogger. It's easy for me to do what I want.
We use blogger, and host through lunarpages. DH did check with them to make sure that he could make the CNAME change (we heard the same lecture that Morticia heard) and got a quick response. It was changed with no problem except that I lost my blogroll. I have to go back and set up all the inn blogs I had listed on my blog.

My hosting company still hasn't resolved that issue for me.
Seriously? That is pretty scary. Any hosting company that can't handle that (even if they don't have a tool so you can change it yourself) really shouldn't be..... errr a hosting company.
I am not sure what the issue is. I have asked several times and she tells me they are in the midst of doing a bunch of upgrades, so maybe just overwhelmed right now. I have asked again and will see what kind of response I get. :-(

Sort of....
You can get two kinds of hosting on 1and1 ... Linux servers or Microsoft servers. Usually if there is no specific need for Microsoft, I recommend the Linux (they are the same price) But they are more stable and can do more robust things more easily.
Their Linux hosting used to also have FrontPage Server Extensions so that was not problem ... then Microsoft decided to kill off FrontPage AND their support for the server extensions
So if you use any of the server extentions (most sites don't) you can't use the Linux package
http://faq.1and1.com/websites/build_website/frontpage/1.html
If you use some feature that requires the extentions, then you would need a microsoft hosting
http://faq.1and1.com/websites/build_website/frontpage/frontpage_ms_hosting/2.html Which is still supporting them ... for now.
Either the MS Beginner ($3.99 / mo) (if you rely on the extentions) or Linux Beginner ($3.99 / mo) could work for you ... again go with Linux unless you have to go with MS.

embaressed_smile.gif

It appears that my website domain was added to the end of ghs.google.com so maybe that's the problem.
swirt said:
I just went and redid it. As soon as I save the record it adds my web domain to the end of ghs.google.com. So this is how it looks:
[tr][td]blog.myinn.com.[/td][td]86400[/td][td]CNAME[/td][td]GHS.GOOGLE.COM.myinn.com.[/td][/tr][/table]It's called an alias record.

This is in the Blogger directions, but not the directions I followed from Acorn:
  • Create 'A' NAME records for your naked domain (blog.com)
  • Creating A records for your naked domain is important as it allows Google to redirect people who use in your naked domain name (blog.com) to your blog page (www.example.com). If you do not do this, visitors who leave off the www will see an error page.
  • There are four separate A records you will create, and can be done from the same control panel you accessed your CNAME records. Simply point your naked domain (example.com, without the 'www') to each of the following IP addresses:
Would it behoove me to add this? Or is this not something I need to do based on how I am trying to set this up? I don't get what I would put in for what they call 'blog.com'.

This is in the Blogger directions, but not the directions I followed from Acorn:
  • Create 'A' NAME records for your naked domain (blog.com)
  • Creating A records for your naked domain is important as it allows Google to redirect people who use in your naked domain name (blog.com) to your blog page (www.example.com). If you do not do this, visitors who leave off the www will see an error page.
  • There are four separate A records you will create, and can be done from the same control panel you accessed your CNAME records. Simply point your naked domain (example.com, without the 'www') to each of the following IP addresses:
Would it behoove me to add this? Or is this not something I need to do based on how I am trying to set this up? I don't get what I would put in for what they call 'blog.com'..
they must be giving directions for those that are hosting with them. I wouldn't take this as generic directions.

Sort of....
You can get two kinds of hosting on 1and1 ... Linux servers or Microsoft servers. Usually if there is no specific need for Microsoft, I recommend the Linux (they are the same price) But they are more stable and can do more robust things more easily.
Their Linux hosting used to also have FrontPage Server Extensions so that was not problem ... then Microsoft decided to kill off FrontPage AND their support for the server extensions
So if you use any of the server extentions (most sites don't) you can't use the Linux package
If you use some feature that requires the extentions, then you would need a microsoft hosting
http://faq.1and1.com/websites/build_website/frontpage/frontpage_ms_hosting/2.html Which is still supporting them ... for now.
Either the MS Beginner ($3.99 / mo) (if you rely on the extentions) or Linux Beginner ($3.99 / mo) could work for you ... again go with Linux unless you have to go with MS.
I don't know if I'm using FPSE. I do remember a problem waaaay back when I started out about FPSE but I don't know if they got added or taken away to solve the problem. I don't use much of what they say isn't supported...forms, counters and such.

Back