Looking for a replacement for 'Flash'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I need something that is plug and play as I don't have time for a complete overhaul right now. I like my slideshow and want to keep a slideshow but understand that none of the i machines can see the slideshow. So, what are you using in place of flash to do slideshows on your website? (Don't have time to get a template and start over, just need a plug and play replacement that someone knows works for sure!)

This will do it for you easily. Easy Rotator. http://www.dwuser.com/easyrotator/
You can download a freebie version..but it does limit you to just a few styles and it will retain its name somewhere. I got the paid version and it was super easy to use. I think the paid was only $20
Here is an example, another example

You can feed a flash slideshow to swiffy and it will convert it to html 5
https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/swiffy/
For most ordinary flash slideshows I have had decent luck with it.... some of the more complicated stuff has not translated correctly.
There are a ton of jquery sliders out there now. It is more a matter of picking the appearance and features that you want. That is often more difficult than actually setting them up.

Another one I have seen used alot is Nivo Slider. But I haven't tried it yet. I am going to though.

I use a free script: Tigra tsfader.js I found several years ago. It's very simple to set up.

First, moving away from Flash is definitely the right first step. Many mobile phones won't display it.
As for a slider, I always recommend addressing this as part of a larger site design, not something to patch into place... Also keep in mind how you will keep the slider updated with fresh images.
If your site is on WordPress, there are many WP themes available that have nicely designed and easily managed sliders built-in. That's probably your best bet.
My web design service (available soon) is built on WordPress and has sliders built into every template. The templates are mobile-optimized as well. Here's an example of one that will be available. Again, not quite done yet, but soon.

First, moving away from Flash is definitely the right first step. Many mobile phones won't display it.
As for a slider, I always recommend addressing this as part of a larger site design, not something to patch into place... Also keep in mind how you will keep the slider updated with fresh images.
If your site is on WordPress, there are many WP themes available that have nicely designed and easily managed sliders built-in. That's probably your best bet.
My web design service (available soon) is built on WordPress and has sliders built into every template. The templates are mobile-optimized as well. Here's an example of one that will be available. Again, not quite done yet, but soon..
Hotel Propeller said:
Here's an example of one that will be available.
Nice, and great to see it's responsive to screen width. It's the only way to go!
It could be quite helpful for us to have a WP template designer at hand. Hope you stick around a while!

Back