Looking for input on resnexus

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmanor

Reaction score
Hello, we are new B and B owners and are in the start-up phase of choosing a developer for our website/reservation system. Does anyone have experience with resnexus and, if so, how has been your experience?
Kindest Regards,
Kim

We originally selected ResNexus to replace the system our PO's had. We enjoyed it for several years, and it's a very powerful tool.
Two years ago we downsized a little bit to Think Reservations. It has a few less bells and whistles, but the monthly price was much lower.
You won't be disappointed to ResNexus if that's your choice. The customer service is very good.

Many of us use ReservationKey. I am quite happy with it and have been using it for MANY years now. Tiered feeschedule, no contract, many bells & whistles., and good tech support.

Mmanor said:
Hello, we are new B and B owners and are in the start-up phase of choosing a developer for our website/reservation system. Does anyone have experience with resnexus and, if so, how has been your experience?
Kindest Regards,
Kim
Congrats! Do you have a website now that needs updating? A reservation system in place?
These are two separate functions. Try not to put all your eggs in one basket. You may find if the company that does your website also integrates your booking engine, they may be hard to split up down the road.
Own your domain name! Do not let someone else handle it.
What, exactly, do you need your reservation system to do for you? Does it have to give you reports daily, weekly, monthly? Does it need to connect to a payment system as well? Are you going to list your rooms on OTA sites. Do you want that to be seamless?
Reservation systems do a lot more now than just a few years ago. If you decide in advance what you need it to do, it will help with the decision process.
Price is also a consideration. Is your place large or small? Will multiple people need access to the reservation system? Will you be printing out housekeeping reports everyday?
Keep in mind you will hear from lots of reservation systems that theirs is the best. Weigh your needs against what's on offer.

I’m mostly a do-it-yourself person, 8 room mom and pop motel. Several years back folks on this forum encouraged me to start using online booking. I followed friends in using Reservation Key as it was less expensive than many and filled my needs. Website is Wordpress using a purchased theme, updated to that with help from a forum member who took my hand and got me started, but reasonably comfortable on my own. My vote is to do it on your own with guidance, as time passes it makes future changes and updates much easier

We started with Resnexus but found out it was not user friendly and we had a hard time getting help from them when we needed. We switched to Thinkreservations and will never look back. Great customer service! Easy to use, and easy to update. If you need customization they are eager to help. Hope this helps, good luck!

We have used ResNexus for 8 years and our local association used them -- or their affiliate -- for its website (until the local imploded as the membership of old-school B&B closed one by one, thank you Air).
Overall opinion: good, professional service. Am I happy? Not really. ResNexus is expensive (we pay $95/mo for 5 rooms) and charges a lot extra for adding an allocator that allows you to work with other booking sources (Air, Exp, etc.). My impression is that they are more oriented to larger properties who get value from some bells and whistles I don't need. Will I switch providers? Probably, but there is a time cost to that for me, too.
Definitely heed folks' warning about having a completely independent web site -- booking engine -- and web host. What ever you do, register your domain name yourself and own it outright.

We have used Rezstream now going into our 5th year and we love it. Great customer service and support, always adding new features based on customer suggestions. I think I'm in the severe minority here, but it's a great system.

Hi,
Full disclosure: I work for Resnexus' best competitor, Cloudbeds.
Resnexus' system is quite good. The only thing I really see it lacking is the ability to customize it, make it your own. For example, many innkeepers discover, after they've used a system for a little while, in hindsight, they want it to do more, or other, tasks. Also they wish it integrated with their accounting software so transactions and reports would post automatically in say, quickbooks. Additionally someday (or maybe even now) you'd like to have features like cart abandonment, ability to text/message your guests pre/during/post-stay, reputation management, and -- importantly -- true revenue management. All the features mentioned will add to your bottom line, with proven ROI from 10-30%. Just depends how into running your business - or it running you - you are.
Another shortcoming of Rexnexus is the fee charged to connect to OTAs. That variable could add a layer of challenge to budgeting each month. The more you make, the more they take. A lot of properties switch to flat-rate systems just for this reason alone because costs can get out of control.
Finally while Resnexus will connect you to the major OTAs it doesn't offer integration with some of the important and often-overlooked boutique and international OTA/channel. I mention these because for small, independent properties, these specialty sites can actually differentiate your business and give you a crucial competitive advantage in your market. When you're a small inn competing on Expedia with large hotels (AND other B&Bs, vacation rentals, etc.), it's much easier to be overlooked. Being listed on 7-14 carefully curated OTAs can mean an immediate 15-20% more in revenues.

Hi,
Full disclosure: I work for Resnexus' best competitor, Cloudbeds.
Resnexus' system is quite good. The only thing I really see it lacking is the ability to customize it, make it your own. For example, many innkeepers discover, after they've used a system for a little while, in hindsight, they want it to do more, or other, tasks. Also they wish it integrated with their accounting software so transactions and reports would post automatically in say, quickbooks. Additionally someday (or maybe even now) you'd like to have features like cart abandonment, ability to text/message your guests pre/during/post-stay, reputation management, and -- importantly -- true revenue management. All the features mentioned will add to your bottom line, with proven ROI from 10-30%. Just depends how into running your business - or it running you - you are.
Another shortcoming of Rexnexus is the fee charged to connect to OTAs. That variable could add a layer of challenge to budgeting each month. The more you make, the more they take. A lot of properties switch to flat-rate systems just for this reason alone because costs can get out of control.
Finally while Resnexus will connect you to the major OTAs it doesn't offer integration with some of the important and often-overlooked boutique and international OTA/channel. I mention these because for small, independent properties, these specialty sites can actually differentiate your business and give you a crucial competitive advantage in your market. When you're a small inn competing on Expedia with large hotels (AND other B&Bs, vacation rentals, etc.), it's much easier to be overlooked. Being listed on 7-14 carefully curated OTAs can mean an immediate 15-20% more in revenues..
Opposing view, sort of, as Cloudbedsna says it depends on your approach to the business
My disclosure: Just an old guy with 8 rooms for the last 25 years or so.
We managed well with a spiral notebook and a pencil before moving to online booking a few years ago. The plus of any online system is that people, especially younger like booking online, always nice to get an email that we have a new reservation, but there are those guests that are not tech inclined and the downside is that includes my other half, all booking is on me now.
My other comment is on revenue VS profit and that may depend on your style of business operation (or life). We lead a simple life, mom and pop operation, were here before OTA's and have never used their services. I'm sure using OTA services would boost my revenue, the question for me is would it also boost my profit? My goal in this was a happy life, more revenue looks good on paper, but if it increases work and if it does not make a large change in profit or happiness, did I gain?
I suppose my opinion is to consider your goals for your future and let that help guide you

We've used ResNexus for a bit over 2 years and really like it. Customer service is GREAT (worth the higher price) but honestly, their service has slipped in the last 8-12 months and believe me ...... I've told them about it many times both via email and calls. Overall, we're not leaving them as the grass isn't always greener.

Back