Looking for - old navigation charts of the Maine coast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Any ideas? Are there any shops near you that might carry this? Not looking to spend $300, I can do that here in town.
Unframed ok.

You might try Ebay, they have the most unbelievable assortmment of old "stuff"

You might try Ebay, they have the most unbelievable assortmment of old "stuff".
I did try them. I have a short attention span. There was too much other stuff mixed in. I was kind of hoping for something on etsy where they were framed altho framing is not necessary. I did find a place the reproduces old charts and they look old so that might work.

How desperately do you need them? We are off to the OBX at the end of May, and there is a great little gallery down there that has all sorts of maps and nautical charts. I can look for you if you want - email me.

How desperately do you need them? We are off to the OBX at the end of May, and there is a great little gallery down there that has all sorts of maps and nautical charts. I can look for you if you want - email me..
muirford said:
How desperately do you need them? We are off to the OBX at the end of May, and there is a great little gallery down there that has all sorts of maps and nautical charts. I can look for you if you want - email me.
PS I can't recall if I mentioned to you to PLEASE stop over and spend the night, or two or as many as you want. I think I was too busy crying that you have left us (the profession)...
broken_heart.gif
We can walk to a show when you are here...if there is one on. :)

Have you tried just googling old navigation charts of the Maine coast I did and a whole bunch of images come up. I bet there are plenty. Refine your search for large ones.
Here's one I found: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15035/15035-h/15035-h.htm

Might be able to come up with something for you. How old? What condition do they need to be in? What is your intended use?

Might be able to come up with something for you. How old? What condition do they need to be in? What is your intended use?.
Going to frame and display in one of the rooms. Shape not as important as the look. I don't want the newer ones that are colored. I'm looking more for sepia tones.
Size? Bigger than a regular sheet of paper but not wall size. 18\20, 16\20, something like that.
Even if you know where I could get an old book of gatefold plates that could be disassembled.
I can print for free off the NOAA website but those are all new looking and small. I could do a bigger frame if I could get the coloration right on them. But they are PDF and I can't seem to do one page at a time.

Have you ever been to Douglas Harding Books in Wells? They have tons of old New England maps. Great place.

Have you tried your local West Marine store? I don't buy paper charts anymore since everything is electronic now (except for the Explorer book with charts for the Bahamas), so I don't know whether the paper charts you get at the marine store are what you're looking for. Just a thought... Also, you might try calling Bluewater Books & Charts in Fort Lauderdale, FL (800-942-2583) and ask them if they have what you're looking for - they can send it to you in a tube. A single paper chart should not be all that expensive. I bought one for the Key Largo area to take out on the little boat which does not have electronics, and the chart was about $20.

Have you tried your local West Marine store? I don't buy paper charts anymore since everything is electronic now (except for the Explorer book with charts for the Bahamas), so I don't know whether the paper charts you get at the marine store are what you're looking for. Just a thought... Also, you might try calling Bluewater Books & Charts in Fort Lauderdale, FL (800-942-2583) and ask them if they have what you're looking for - they can send it to you in a tube. A single paper chart should not be all that expensive. I bought one for the Key Largo area to take out on the little boat which does not have electronics, and the chart was about $20..
Great idea. Plus we have a regular map store as well. Hoping to get older looking maps, tho. The kind with 'Here be dragons' on them. ;-)

Have you tried to local library? Many libraries have local historical archives. Usually you have to go to the main branch downtown, but they should be able to show you some old originals, and make you a copy for a modest fee.

Maritime museum had them! Huge! I can cut them down and get 4-6 from each one. Now I need frames.

Back