Looking for some help!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paula! Welcome to the forum!
When I was first researching innkeeping I found the innkeepers here (we were on a different forum, but it's mostly the same people) and they helped me a TON in getting a feel for what it was like and what I would need. I also interviewed and toured several B&B's, which I found immensely helpful. Even if you don't do it as part of the class assignment, you should continue to pursue opportunities to meet innkeepers and talk with them, not just with a laundry list of questions, but with a naturally flowing interview of what they do and how they do it and why. It was really that helpful.
One reason it was helpful was that I spoke with and toured such different properties. One had individual tables in their dining room (their niche was romantic getaway), the others didn't. Every innkeeper did things differently, for different reasons. It was extremely educational.
If you truly can't find an inn to tour and an innkeeper to talk to in person, see if you can find someone to interview on the phone. Kathleen (Gillum House, Shinnston, WV) probably would if you catch her at a good time, and she leads innkeeping seminars. Or you could probably book a night at her place and in exchange (if she doesn't have a full house) get a mini-seminar of your own. You're welcome to call me, but I'm a newbie and probably not your best source.
Good luck with your class, but regardless of whatever grade you get, real life is more important. You need to see if your temperament is right, your budget realistic (no budget is, but it has to at least look halfway realistic), and if you can find your niche. Research a ton, then research some more.
1. Name of B&B (optional) College House Bed & Breakfast, Ashland, OH
2. How long you have owned/run the B&B Owned: 2 years. 1st room: <1 year (July). 2nd room: 8 mos (October). 3rd room: this coming Tuesday. 4th room: overdue, so very soon.
3. Did you build the B&B or did you buy an existing one? We bought a house and renovated it.
4. Location of B&B Ashland, Ohio, in a residential neighborhood between Ashland University and Ashland Theological Seminary.
5. What made you decide to open/run a B&B? I was looking for a home-based business where my kids could be involved, work hard, and learn a variety of useful skills.
6. Had you previously stayed at B&B's? Of course.
7. Do you have "help" (i.e. cleaning people, substitute innkeeper, maintenance, lawn etc)? My husband mows the lawn, takes out the trash, makes the coffee, watches the kids, and helps with the cleaning. My kids help clean, for about 4 minutes.
8. This question is optional, I know financial information can be senstitive..
a. # of rooms About to be 4
b. average price of room $110 I guess.
c. average daily occupancy unknown
d. guest rate retention percent unknown
e. percentage of new guests per year 100%
9. Do you accept reservations online? yes What is your average response/turnaround time to online reservations? As soon as I see them. If I'm at my computer, within a few minutes. If I'm away from home (or asleep) it could be half a day.
10. Do you have contacts in the local community that sends business your way (i.e. churches for weddings, hotels for overflow guests) Yes, and we're hoping to develop more.
11. Type of breakfast offered - and how often do you repeat the menu? Full. Fruit starter, entree, side meat, and bread. Until recently we've had a lot of one night stays, and not a lot of multiple rooms, so I usually make the same breakfast. We have a lot of multi-night stays coming up and they will not have the same breakfast (or fruit starter) while they are here. (Unless they really, really want it, I guess.)
12. How do you handle cancellations? Avoid them as much as possible. We take a one night deposit at time of booking, refundable within 7 days of scheduled stay. Have only had to refund a couple so far.
13. Do you live onsite? I have to in order to have a business in a residential neighborhood.
14. Do you do anything special for repeat guests? I don't know yet. Probably give them last year's rate, or a 10% discount. We have our first one next month, and one anticipated in December.
15. Do you have items personalized for your B&B (i.e. pens, notepaper, bags, robes, etc)? Not yet, but I'll probably end up with pens and shirts. I may have mugs or lunch bags, we'll see how it goes and what the cost is. I do have business cards and will have brochures.
16. Can you give me a brief overview of your day? (i.e. breakfast 6-9am, reservations and checkout 9am-11am, cleaning 11am-3pm, checkin 3pm-9pm) Get up 5:30 or 6, make and serve breakfast, clean up breakfast, clean rooms, shop, fix things, talk on the phone, take care of my kids (the ds4x2: twin boys, age 4), answer questions, chat with guests, prep for the next day, chat on the forum, pay bills, run errands. Stay up too late.
17. Do you decorate for the different seasons? Not really, just Christmas. We may do Memorial Day/Flag Day/Fourth of July next year.
18. Are there any certifications you have? None that I'm aware of.
19. Does being a part of the local area associations (i.e. visitor bureau, chamber of commerce) provide access to new customers? They (the Chamber) say it does. At least one customer said they found me on the Chamber's website (which is odd since my website is easier to find than the Chamber's).
20. What type of taxes do you have to pay? I collect bed tax (3%) and food tax (.37 per person per night). I pay property, income and sales tax like anyone else. I also pay a LOT for business insurance.
21. Are there any legal issues an aspiring innkeeper should be aware of? If the zoning won't allow it, don't buy it. Check with the local officials about health and fire. Here in Ohio, under six rooms, zoning is the only real issue. But I had to get approval to have four rooms (12 guests) and a readable sign.
22. And finally - can 1 person do this without losing her mind???? Depends on the person. Some would say we're all nuts. I have relatives who can't understand why we let strangers in our house. Depends on the B&B. There's a regular on the forum who's run her own 3 room B&B for years. She works LONG days for seven months, then has a breather in the winter. For anything much bigger you'll need help. I'm a little nervous about next month when we'll be at full house a lot, but my dh works outside the home.
Good luck to you!
=) Kk..
Running a place on your own, to me meant with no help.
Do all the single innkeepers run the place with no help?
Then there are those here who are "a couple" where one spouse pretty much does everything on their own as their other half works outside the B&B. More of the same. You would think that the support would be there (mostly not), you would think that when issues cropped up that other person could step in (mostly not). Every situation is unique. But for those who have TWO innkeepers running their place, they will still say it is draining. But can be more rewarding if someone is there to lend a hand.
This is where catlady says to make sure both are on board.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
But for those who have TWO innkeepers running their place, they will still say it is draining. But can be more rewarding if someone is there to lend a hand.
Even if it is only to have the other person understand what the issues are. We don't agree on what the issues are, but hubs & I can at least bounce ideas back and forth. Like the guest who called at 11 PM (twice) and wanted to split his group between 2 B&B's. (Not enough room at either for the time frame he wants.) BUT, he wants his group to eat together each morning. Neither inn can really accommodate his 10 guests plus all the other rooms. So, hubs & I discussed this this morning to see what we could come up with.

When I was first researching innkeeping I found the innkeepers here (we were on a different forum, but it's mostly the same people) and they helped me a TON in getting a feel for what it was like and what I would need. I also interviewed and toured several B&B's, which I found immensely helpful. Even if you don't do it as part of the class assignment, you should continue to pursue opportunities to meet innkeepers and talk with them, not just with a laundry list of questions, but with a naturally flowing interview of what they do and how they do it and why. It was really that helpful.
One reason it was helpful was that I spoke with and toured such different properties. One had individual tables in their dining room (their niche was romantic getaway), the others didn't. Every innkeeper did things differently, for different reasons. It was extremely educational.
If you truly can't find an inn to tour and an innkeeper to talk to in person, see if you can find someone to interview on the phone. Kathleen (Gillum House, Shinnston, WV) probably would if you catch her at a good time, and she leads innkeeping seminars. Or you could probably book a night at her place and in exchange (if she doesn't have a full house) get a mini-seminar of your own. You're welcome to call me, but I'm a newbie and probably not your best source.
Good luck with your class, but regardless of whatever grade you get, real life is more important. You need to see if your temperament is right, your budget realistic (no budget is, but it has to at least look halfway realistic), and if you can find your niche. Research a ton, then research some more.
2. How long you have owned/run the B&B Owned: 2 years. 1st room: <1 year (July). 2nd room: 8 mos (October). 3rd room: this coming Tuesday. 4th room: overdue, so very soon.
3. Did you build the B&B or did you buy an existing one? We bought a house and renovated it.
4. Location of B&B Ashland, Ohio, in a residential neighborhood between Ashland University and Ashland Theological Seminary.
5. What made you decide to open/run a B&B? I was looking for a home-based business where my kids could be involved, work hard, and learn a variety of useful skills.
7. Do you have "help" (i.e. cleaning people, substitute innkeeper, maintenance, lawn etc)? My husband mows the lawn, takes out the trash, makes the coffee, watches the kids, and helps with the cleaning. My kids help clean, for about 4 minutes.
9. Do you accept reservations online? yes What is your average response/turnaround time to online reservations? As soon as I see them. If I'm at my computer, within a few minutes. If I'm away from home (or asleep) it could be half a day.
10. Do you have contacts in the local community that sends business your way (i.e. churches for weddings, hotels for overflow guests) Yes, and we're hoping to develop more.
11. Type of breakfast offered - and how often do you repeat the menu? Full. Fruit starter, entree, side meat, and bread. Until recently we've had a lot of one night stays, and not a lot of multiple rooms, so I usually make the same breakfast. We have a lot of multi-night stays coming up and they will not have the same breakfast (or fruit starter) while they are here. (Unless they really, really want it, I guess.)
12. How do you handle cancellations? Avoid them as much as possible. We take a one night deposit at time of booking, refundable within 7 days of scheduled stay. Have only had to refund a couple so far.
13. Do you live onsite? I have to in order to have a business in a residential neighborhood.
14. Do you do anything special for repeat guests? I don't know yet. Probably give them last year's rate, or a 10% discount. We have our first one next month, and one anticipated in December.
15. Do you have items personalized for your B&B (i.e. pens, notepaper, bags, robes, etc)? Not yet, but I'll probably end up with pens and shirts. I may have mugs or lunch bags, we'll see how it goes and what the cost is. I do have business cards and will have brochures.
16. Can you give me a brief overview of your day? (i.e. breakfast 6-9am, reservations and checkout 9am-11am, cleaning 11am-3pm, checkin 3pm-9pm) Get up 5:30 or 6, make and serve breakfast, clean up breakfast, clean rooms, shop, fix things, talk on the phone, take care of my kids (the ds4x2: twin boys, age 4), answer questions, chat with guests, prep for the next day, chat on the forum, pay bills, run errands. Stay up too late.
17. Do you decorate for the different seasons? Not really, just Christmas. We may do Memorial Day/Flag Day/Fourth of July next year.
19. Does being a part of the local area associations (i.e. visitor bureau, chamber of commerce) provide access to new customers? They (the Chamber) say it does. At least one customer said they found me on the Chamber's website (which is odd since my website is easier to find than the Chamber's).
20. What type of taxes do you have to pay? I collect bed tax (3%) and food tax (.37 per person per night). I pay property, income and sales tax like anyone else. I also pay a LOT for business insurance.
21. Are there any legal issues an aspiring innkeeper should be aware of? If the zoning won't allow it, don't buy it. Check with the local officials about health and fire. Here in Ohio, under six rooms, zoning is the only real issue. But I had to get approval to have four rooms (12 guests) and a readable sign.
22. And finally - can 1 person do this without losing her mind???? Depends on the person. Some would say we're all nuts. I have relatives who can't understand why we let strangers in our house. Depends on the B&B. There's a regular on the forum who's run her own 3 room B&B for years. She works LONG days for seven months, then has a breather in the winter. For anything much bigger you'll need help. I'm a little nervous about next month when we'll be at full house a lot, but my dh works outside the home.
Good luck to you!
=) Kk..
Then there are those here who are "a couple" where one spouse pretty much does everything on their own as their other half works outside the B&B. More of the same. You would think that the support would be there (mostly not), you would think that when issues cropped up that other person could step in (mostly not). Every situation is unique. But for those who have TWO innkeepers running their place, they will still say it is draining. But can be more rewarding if someone is there to lend a hand.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
But for those who have TWO innkeepers running their place, they will still say it is draining. But can be more rewarding if someone is there to lend a hand.
Even if it is only to have the other person understand what the issues are. We don't agree on what the issues are, but hubs & I can at least bounce ideas back and forth. Like the guest who called at 11 PM (twice) and wanted to split his group between 2 B&B's. (Not enough room at either for the time frame he wants.) BUT, he wants his group to eat together each morning. Neither inn can really accommodate his 10 guests plus all the other rooms. So, hubs & I discussed this this morning to see what we could come up with.
Yeah that is the being onboard part of it.
Dh here doesn't give a rip and leaves it all to me. He is home today to get these projects worked on as I threatened to walk if he didn't. It is bad, it is rough, it comes down to that to get stuff done as he is too busy with his own job. Who wants to come home to all that?
So do I involve him in everything and overwhelm him? I do sometimes and it gets me nowhere. Just causes problems between us.
Stressful either way, that is what I say.

Good luck to you!
=) Kk..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Dh here doesn't give a rip and leaves it all to me. He is home today to get these projects worked on as I threatened to walk if he didn't. It is bad, it is rough, it comes down to that to get stuff done as he is too busy with his own job. Who wants to come home to all that?
So do I involve him in everything and overwhelm him? I do sometimes and it gets me nowhere. Just causes problems between us.
In your case, not so much. But, because the inn is part of the income and a lot of the stress, he does have to be involved at some point. Not in the day to day but in the big stuff.
I don't involve hubs in every web decision I make. What directories, what to put on the website, the blog, most of the marketing and promotions. But, he has to know they're going on so he doesn't come across as clueless when the guests call and he answers.
HE, however, wants me to tell him what to serve for breakfast even tho he doesn't want me telling him how to make the breakfast. So, he involves me in a lot more than I involve him. But that's our personalities.

Good luck to you!
=) Kk..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
In your case, not so much. But, because the inn is part of the income and a lot of the stress, he does have to be involved at some point. Not in the day to day but in the big stuff.
I don't involve hubs in every web decision I make. What directories, what to put on the website, the blog, most of the marketing and promotions. But, he has to know they're going on so he doesn't come across as clueless when the guests call and he answers.
HE, however, wants me to tell him what to serve for breakfast even tho he doesn't want me telling him how to make the breakfast. So, he involves me in a lot more than I involve him. But that's our personalities.
You really do have to figure out the rules of the relationship as they apply to your new situation - in this case, innkeeping. Sometimes it's family or illness that makes the rules change. DH and I had very different responsibilities in our old life than we do in our new one and it took us about six months of having the inn before we got it straight. I always handled the finances before and now he does most of that. We discuss amenities for the inn but I almost always initiate those conversations - same with website changes, even though he makes them. We have gone back and forth on outside jobs - when we started here, I did my consulting work for the first 18 months, because it paid well and we needed the money. Now it's his turn and his software work brings in some extra income while I mostly handle the day-to-day of the Inn. But I would never I say I do it on my own (even with housekeepers) - he's definitely my partner in this.
Jeanne

I suppose in many ways I do it on my own, but we're new and not all that booked yet, and dh is willing and ready to help when he's here. He's offered several times to take vacation in July to help out, if I need it. But he does a LOT (even though he doesn't feel like he does) just in doing lawn (all aspects), trash, taking out the compost, watching the kids, and helping with cleaning on his days off. He particularly is helpful with the floors (I seem to have floorphobia). It is interesting when we clean together... he notices completely different things than I do, so we compliment each other well.
We also have the long term goal of us both being full-time at this, and the kids being of actual use, so although I'm mostly on my own now, I don't anticipate staying that way as we get established (and hopefully busier each year).
=) Kk.

I suppose in many ways I do it on my own, but we're new and not all that booked yet, and dh is willing and ready to help when he's here. He's offered several times to take vacation in July to help out, if I need it. But he does a LOT (even though he doesn't feel like he does) just in doing lawn (all aspects), trash, taking out the compost, watching the kids, and helping with cleaning on his days off. He particularly is helpful with the floors (I seem to have floorphobia). It is interesting when we clean together... he notices completely different things than I do, so we compliment each other well.
We also have the long term goal of us both being full-time at this, and the kids being of actual use, so although I'm mostly on my own now, I don't anticipate staying that way as we get established (and hopefully busier each year).
=) Kk..
YellowSocks said:
We also have the long term goal of us both being full-time at this, ...
Have you run the numbers, will that actually work? I wouldn't think it possible with 4 rooms. Of course maybe you aren't taxed to death the way we are in NY. ;)

I have no idea if it will work, but dh says he won't stay at his job more than five years (two down, three to go), so I'd better make it work. We don't need a lot to "live" on, so if we can get our debt down (decent mortgage and equity line of credit used for renovations are all we have) we may be able to swing it. We are content at a fairly low standard of living, and can live pretty frugally (we had to for years), so that part is not as worrisome as the income stream, and the cost of health insurance. It's been promising, so far. If we get there and the numbers aren't good then he can look for a different job, or maybe a part-time one, or maybe he'll be the innkeeper and I'll go make some money somewhere.
Yes, it's a little crazy and a little scary, but I know I can make money (if not here, then employed somewhere). Our last ditch plan is we close and I go back to work. If we do that we'll live in a fabulous house in a great town, so we'll be OK.
=) Kk.

Thanks again to everyone who commented! I'll post my report here, since I can't figure out how to "attach" it (so be warned, it's long!)

Running a Bed and Breakfast…Can I Do It?[/h1]A Career Report[/h1]

In my previous career, I traveled extensively. Oftentimes I was on the road 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. I’ve stayed at all different types of hotels, from the typical “residential suite” up through the nicest resort hotel. My friends joke that I’ve become a “hotel snob”, which I knowingly agree to!
One project in 2003 I was working in Columbia Missouri on my own. Columbia is a college town, however, hotel choices I would consider acceptable were very limited. I ended up staying in a Wingate Inn, a hotel aimed at business travelers. But there was nothing special about the hotel. Driving around town for a few weeks, I noticed this gorgeous house on one of the main streets, with what seemed like an excessively large driveway. I eventually caught the sign (which was tiny and attached to the house itself) – Taylor House Bed and Breakfast.
I Googled the name, and found the website, and was immediately in awe at what lay inside. I immediately called the innkeeper and gave him my story, asking if he had any availability for the next few months, and what rate could I get. He called me back and said I would be welcome to stay during the weeks for the low low rate of $145/week. WOW! I was paying $100/night at the Wingate! So that very next week I stepped into my very first bed and breakfast. And I was hooked.
The complete story of the B&B is on the website, but it’s a 1900 house that was completely restored and is just gorgeous! Each room has a unique theme, named for a family member that lived there previously. There’s a small drink fridge in the kitchen that all guests can help themselves to, and a large deck on the back for relaxing. The front porch is inviting with a swing. The house itself is on the National Register of Historic Places. It has been featured on HGTV’s “If Walls Could Talk” (which I saw after I stayed there!), and the story is that in one of the rooms, while renovating, the owners found dozens of letters to one of the previous occupants. Because I developed such a close relationship with the owners, Deb (the wife) sat down with me one day and went through EVERYTHING they had found in the house – what a treasure!
I ended up spending about 5 months at that B&B, and in that time I was able to talk to the owners as often I was the only guest. Deb was a school teacher and just about to have their first child. Rob owned a jewelry story in town. And they ran the B&B themselves, only hiring outside help once Deb was pregnant enough that bending over was no longer possible. At that point, though, I didn’t have any desire to leave corporate America so didn’t ask the “real” questions to understand the business.
Flash forward a few years, and today I know that I want to leave corporate America in the next 5 years. I enjoy my career but want more flexibility and want something where I can be outside on the nice days! (Or at the very least, open the windows!) So the first thought was – open/run a Bed and Breakfast! I’ll get to be with people (which I need and enjoy), I’ll get to open the windows when it’s nice, I’ll get to *hopefully* have some downtime. And I’d be running a place where people can come to escape the hassles of everyday life.
I’m always one to learn as much as I can so I started looking for programs where I could learn more about the Hospitality industry. Hence the Intro to Hospitality course and this career report.
[h1]I had an appointment with the owner of Harrison House B&B in Naperville, however, due to family emergencies and new innkeeper trainings, she was unable to keep our appointment. Harrison House is another 1900’s house that has been restored and turned into a Bed & Breakfast. I was able to take a tour of the house and the rooms, each again with their own theme. [/h1] [h1]Other innkeepers in the metro Chicago area either were already working with interns or didn’t bother to respond to my requests for an interview. Having found www.inspiring.com, a forum for innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers alike, I posted my questions and a bit about why I was curious, in the hope that one innkeeper would respond.[/h1] Not only did one innkeeper respond – MANY did! What follows is an understanding of what it takes to be an innkeeper.
Guests
What surprises me the most is that returning guests are not a significant part of a B&B’s revenue for the year. Based on my limited experience, I would have assumed more people returned to the same B&B. My situation was unique, though, I now see. Therefore, finding new guests is going to be a top concern.
Having discussed Visitor Bureaus in our class, I then asked if the Visitor Bureaus was useful in sending new guests. The resounding answer was no. So other marketing avenues, such as a personalized website and B&B websites, are necessary. But beyond that, additional marketing may be required.
Schedule
One reason I want to get out of corporate America is I don’t like the schedule. I don’t mind getting up early, I just don’t like leaving the house early and dealing with rush hour traffic. With that in mind, I wondered what the “typical” schedule of an innkeeper is. The responses I got were varied, but followed a similar “tone”.
Of course, breakfast is the first order of the day. It seems many have a rotation of breakfasts, and those are typically “full” breakfasts with meat, fruit, juices and coffee. Some owners said they would repeat the breakfasts as often as they did not have repeat guests!
After breakfast is “everything else”. Rooms need to be turned (cleaned, freshened), breakfast dishes cleaned, laundry done, reservations taken, and guests checking in and out. This is probably the hardest part for one person to handle, say the experts! In fact, it seems that most had help – someone else to do the dishes typically. I didn’t ask if the innkeepers had multiple sets of sheets (so that laundry wouldn’t need to be done daily). I did ask how quickly reservations were responded to – and most said reservations are responded to immediately. This was most surprising to me because I had assumed reservations would be taken care of at set points during the day – as a sort of “break” from all the other tasks. But these owners have made reservations the number one priority.
Amenities
I’ve stayed in a few additional B&B’s since my stint at the Taylor House, and the amenities offered varied widely. So I asked my innkeepers what they offered their guests – as standard amenities and for special occasions like birthdays etc.
Again the answers were varied. Some offered nothing in the room, some offered items like bathrobes and bath goodies, postcards and bags/pens with the B&B name. Additionally, for some repeat guests, discounts are offered.
The Legalities (aka Things That Will Drive An Innkeeper Crazy!)
I asked a few very broad questions regarding taxes and other legal issues that an inspiring innkeeper may not think about prior to opening the business. Initially this discussion was driven by our in-class discussion about room tax which I hadn’t ever paid attention to (even though I pay it all the time!). I’m certain this is far from an all-inclusive list but it’s a good start.
The following certifications were listed:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Local health department
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Food handlers card
Inspections by:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]State B&B registry
Taxes paid:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Commercial property
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Personal property
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Guests pay lodging tax of 6% in addition to state sales tax of 6%
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Corporate taxes
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Use tax
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Income tax
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Sales tax on purchased items
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]City taxes
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Bed tax
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Food tax
Other legal issues:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Local requirements are for health and human safety
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Permitting
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Licensing
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Zoning (this is the hot topic – many many warnings about not setting up a B&B without getting proper zoning first)
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Liability
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Confidentiality
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Health Department
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Fire Code
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Building Code
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]State Rules
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]County Rules
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]City Rules
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Association Requirements
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Business insurance
[h1]My next step will be to take an “Aspiring Innkeepers” course. One was suggested in the responses but I was able to find a B&B in Illinois that offers them as well. I’ve asked to be put on their list to be notified when the next course is. Pinehill Inn offers the course in Oregon IL, and covers the following topics:[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Learn about B&Bs from real B&B owners[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Is the B&B lifestyle for you? Take the personality test to find out[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Understand the key ratios needed to evaluate purchase of your property[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Identify the 7 critical mistakes most new owners make[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Marketing, marketing, marketing[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Keys to a great website[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Pay per click ads[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]A day in the life of an innkeeper[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Spreadsheets for accounting and budgeting[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Room cleaning check lists [/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Extensive manual[/h1] [h1]In the end, it looks like I’m going to need to do some serious soul searching if I really want to make my B&B dream a reality. The resounding answer I got from the 6 interviewees is that financially, I cannot make this work on my own. Additionally, the workload may just be too much – in that too many things need to be done at the same time. [/h1] [h1]My goal is still a few years off, and that’s a good thing – so I have time to figure out how to address the problems. At least I have found a resource that is more than willing to offer advice on any questions I have! [/h1]

Thanks again to everyone who commented! I'll post my report here, since I can't figure out how to "attach" it (so be warned, it's long!)

Running a Bed and Breakfast…Can I Do It?[/h1]A Career Report[/h1]

In my previous career, I traveled extensively. Oftentimes I was on the road 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. I’ve stayed at all different types of hotels, from the typical “residential suite” up through the nicest resort hotel. My friends joke that I’ve become a “hotel snob”, which I knowingly agree to!
One project in 2003 I was working in Columbia Missouri on my own. Columbia is a college town, however, hotel choices I would consider acceptable were very limited. I ended up staying in a Wingate Inn, a hotel aimed at business travelers. But there was nothing special about the hotel. Driving around town for a few weeks, I noticed this gorgeous house on one of the main streets, with what seemed like an excessively large driveway. I eventually caught the sign (which was tiny and attached to the house itself) – Taylor House Bed and Breakfast.
I Googled the name, and found the website, and was immediately in awe at what lay inside. I immediately called the innkeeper and gave him my story, asking if he had any availability for the next few months, and what rate could I get. He called me back and said I would be welcome to stay during the weeks for the low low rate of $145/week. WOW! I was paying $100/night at the Wingate! So that very next week I stepped into my very first bed and breakfast. And I was hooked.
The complete story of the B&B is on the website, but it’s a 1900 house that was completely restored and is just gorgeous! Each room has a unique theme, named for a family member that lived there previously. There’s a small drink fridge in the kitchen that all guests can help themselves to, and a large deck on the back for relaxing. The front porch is inviting with a swing. The house itself is on the National Register of Historic Places. It has been featured on HGTV’s “If Walls Could Talk” (which I saw after I stayed there!), and the story is that in one of the rooms, while renovating, the owners found dozens of letters to one of the previous occupants. Because I developed such a close relationship with the owners, Deb (the wife) sat down with me one day and went through EVERYTHING they had found in the house – what a treasure!
I ended up spending about 5 months at that B&B, and in that time I was able to talk to the owners as often I was the only guest. Deb was a school teacher and just about to have their first child. Rob owned a jewelry story in town. And they ran the B&B themselves, only hiring outside help once Deb was pregnant enough that bending over was no longer possible. At that point, though, I didn’t have any desire to leave corporate America so didn’t ask the “real” questions to understand the business.
Flash forward a few years, and today I know that I want to leave corporate America in the next 5 years. I enjoy my career but want more flexibility and want something where I can be outside on the nice days! (Or at the very least, open the windows!) So the first thought was – open/run a Bed and Breakfast! I’ll get to be with people (which I need and enjoy), I’ll get to open the windows when it’s nice, I’ll get to *hopefully* have some downtime. And I’d be running a place where people can come to escape the hassles of everyday life.
I’m always one to learn as much as I can so I started looking for programs where I could learn more about the Hospitality industry. Hence the Intro to Hospitality course and this career report.
[h1]I had an appointment with the owner of Harrison House B&B in Naperville, however, due to family emergencies and new innkeeper trainings, she was unable to keep our appointment. Harrison House is another 1900’s house that has been restored and turned into a Bed & Breakfast. I was able to take a tour of the house and the rooms, each again with their own theme. [/h1] [h1]Other innkeepers in the metro Chicago area either were already working with interns or didn’t bother to respond to my requests for an interview. Having found www.inspiring.com, a forum for innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers alike, I posted my questions and a bit about why I was curious, in the hope that one innkeeper would respond.[/h1] Not only did one innkeeper respond – MANY did! What follows is an understanding of what it takes to be an innkeeper.
Guests
What surprises me the most is that returning guests are not a significant part of a B&B’s revenue for the year. Based on my limited experience, I would have assumed more people returned to the same B&B. My situation was unique, though, I now see. Therefore, finding new guests is going to be a top concern.
Having discussed Visitor Bureaus in our class, I then asked if the Visitor Bureaus was useful in sending new guests. The resounding answer was no. So other marketing avenues, such as a personalized website and B&B websites, are necessary. But beyond that, additional marketing may be required.
Schedule
One reason I want to get out of corporate America is I don’t like the schedule. I don’t mind getting up early, I just don’t like leaving the house early and dealing with rush hour traffic. With that in mind, I wondered what the “typical” schedule of an innkeeper is. The responses I got were varied, but followed a similar “tone”.
Of course, breakfast is the first order of the day. It seems many have a rotation of breakfasts, and those are typically “full” breakfasts with meat, fruit, juices and coffee. Some owners said they would repeat the breakfasts as often as they did not have repeat guests!
After breakfast is “everything else”. Rooms need to be turned (cleaned, freshened), breakfast dishes cleaned, laundry done, reservations taken, and guests checking in and out. This is probably the hardest part for one person to handle, say the experts! In fact, it seems that most had help – someone else to do the dishes typically. I didn’t ask if the innkeepers had multiple sets of sheets (so that laundry wouldn’t need to be done daily). I did ask how quickly reservations were responded to – and most said reservations are responded to immediately. This was most surprising to me because I had assumed reservations would be taken care of at set points during the day – as a sort of “break” from all the other tasks. But these owners have made reservations the number one priority.
Amenities
I’ve stayed in a few additional B&B’s since my stint at the Taylor House, and the amenities offered varied widely. So I asked my innkeepers what they offered their guests – as standard amenities and for special occasions like birthdays etc.
Again the answers were varied. Some offered nothing in the room, some offered items like bathrobes and bath goodies, postcards and bags/pens with the B&B name. Additionally, for some repeat guests, discounts are offered.
The Legalities (aka Things That Will Drive An Innkeeper Crazy!)
I asked a few very broad questions regarding taxes and other legal issues that an inspiring innkeeper may not think about prior to opening the business. Initially this discussion was driven by our in-class discussion about room tax which I hadn’t ever paid attention to (even though I pay it all the time!). I’m certain this is far from an all-inclusive list but it’s a good start.
The following certifications were listed:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Local health department
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Food handlers card
Inspections by:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]State B&B registry
Taxes paid:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Commercial property
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Personal property
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Guests pay lodging tax of 6% in addition to state sales tax of 6%
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Corporate taxes
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Use tax
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Income tax
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Sales tax on purchased items
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]City taxes
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Bed tax
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Food tax
Other legal issues:
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Local requirements are for health and human safety
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Permitting
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Licensing
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Zoning (this is the hot topic – many many warnings about not setting up a B&B without getting proper zoning first)
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Liability
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Confidentiality
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Health Department
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Fire Code
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Building Code
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]State Rules
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]County Rules
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]City Rules
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Association Requirements
·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Business insurance
[h1]My next step will be to take an “Aspiring Innkeepers” course. One was suggested in the responses but I was able to find a B&B in Illinois that offers them as well. I’ve asked to be put on their list to be notified when the next course is. Pinehill Inn offers the course in Oregon IL, and covers the following topics:[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Learn about B&Bs from real B&B owners[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Is the B&B lifestyle for you? Take the personality test to find out[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Understand the key ratios needed to evaluate purchase of your property[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Identify the 7 critical mistakes most new owners make[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Marketing, marketing, marketing[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Keys to a great website[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Pay per click ads[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]A day in the life of an innkeeper[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Spreadsheets for accounting and budgeting[/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Room cleaning check lists [/h1] ·[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]Extensive manual[/h1] [h1]In the end, it looks like I’m going to need to do some serious soul searching if I really want to make my B&B dream a reality. The resounding answer I got from the 6 interviewees is that financially, I cannot make this work on my own. Additionally, the workload may just be too much – in that too many things need to be done at the same time. [/h1] [h1]My goal is still a few years off, and that’s a good thing – so I have time to figure out how to address the problems. At least I have found a resource that is more than willing to offer advice on any questions I have! [/h1].
Oregon is a neat town. We used to go to White Pines a LOT! It is a shame you were not able to make connections with the B & B in West Dundee for illinois answers.
Are you going to Harper, Triton, or Elgin? Forgot McHenry, Wabonsee, and Lake County?
I hope you get the answers you need. One word of advice - forget Joliet! They do not want a B & B in that town! Soneone already tried and lost. ZONING!
I am glad we were able to give you enough answers to get a report. Let you know what grade you got on it!

Oh, guess I didn't pay close enough attention...I thought this post was familar and that most of us had answered before:)

Oh, guess I didn't pay close enough attention...I thought this post was familar and that most of us had answered before:).
We did. She was just giving us an update of what she wrote in her report.

duhwitt, you came to the right place to ask questions. These people have the answers that you need and are glad to share. I came asking questions and they really helped me, some of the answers were not what I wanted, but honest.

duhwitt, you came to the right place to ask questions. These people have the answers that you need and are glad to share. I came asking questions and they really helped me, some of the answers were not what I wanted, but honest..
Thanks again everyone!!!

Back