Looking for the perfect Breakfast recipe

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We had a very lovely young couple stay with us this weekend that were vegans. Since DW cooks a la Paula Deen (i.e. lots of butter) she essientially had to make two different breakfasts: one for our regular guests and one for them. We all do this all the time.
However, it got me to thinking, what dish could be prepared that everyone would eat and love that is vegan, gluten free, dairy and sugar free? If there was one dish that could cover all your bases and still be delicious, what a wonderful world this would be.
Any suggestions?

I've done a soy sausage cassrole that works on all those issues. It is made with bread but you can use gluten free bread.
This is not my recipe, it's from a vegan cookbook that I cannot find at the moment. It smells really good cooking and it was well-received by everyone. (I would now ascertain that no one had a soy allergy, but I did not think about that at the time.) You could make it in indiv ramekins. I made it in a 9x13 pan.
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 lb. soy sausage, crumbled
1 lb. soft tofu, crumbled
2 cups soy milk
3/4 tsp. salt, or less, to taste
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground fennel seed
1/4 tsp. cayenne
4 cups whole-grain bread cubes
• Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the soy sausage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sausage browns, about 5 more minutes. Set aside.
• In a bowl, combine the tofu, soymilk, salt, thyme, fennel seed and cayenne and mix well. Blend in the sausage mixture. Lightly oil a large, shallow baking dish and place the bread in it. Pour the sausage mixture over the bread, using a fork to distribute it evenly. Let stand until the liquid is absorbed by the bread, about 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F/170 degrees C/Gas Mark 3 and bake the casserole for 45 minutes. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees F.
200 degrees C/Gas Mark 6 and continue baking until the casserole is puffy and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

I can't help you much with a main dish, but this oatmeal cookie recipe is good for everyone and it doesn't have any crazy ingredients: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6605
I had a vegan, a gluten-free, a nut allergy, and a caffeine allergy this weekend - all different people in different rooms. I also served the breakfast banana split to everyone, using nut-free granola and an almond-milk yogurt for the vegan. That went over well.
Only the banana split is sugar free, though.
ETA: sorry that cookie recipe isn't gluten-free. And don't substitute gluten-free baking mix because the cookies fall apart. I know, I tried.

PT please don't make the other guests suffer! If those guests choose to eat that way, let 'em, but the other guests want to innjoy DW's butter laden yummy and delicious breakfasts!
Share a big ol plate of fried tators in olive oil or something...but not everything.
Lesson learned - I made a gluten free pancake breakfast one morning, the gluten free thought they were the best they had ever eaten, and I think I heard the other guests vomit. Okay that is an exageration, but I spoke to them afterward and I HAD TO APOLOGIZE when they told me how bad it was. The others just told me how great it was! How they loved it!
So there ya go, I say this all the time, on all counts. Just because one raves, doesn't mean it is good! I still have guilt over that...doing that to those guests.

I'm with JB on this one. Keep them separate. Regular guests most of the time want that decadent breakfast.
This is the main course I give all my vegans for their first breakfast. It is amazingly fast and easy, oh yeah, and delicious. Even I like it! Tofu Scrambler I can buy it in my local larger supermarket in the health food section, but if you can't find it, order it on line and keep it in your pantry. There are 2 packets in each box and 1 packet will season a large container of tofu.
I just smoosh up the tofu with a fork, mix in the packet, saute some onion (and if I have it other veggies) in olive oil, then add the tofu and fry it up. Add enough oil so that it browns a little bit. Voila! 2 servings with barely a blink of an eye. Looks like a version of scrambled eggs. I've also found that most of the vegans have never had it, so it seems really special to them.
The vegan pumpkin bread I put in the recipes section on the forum is fantastic and you can serve it to all the guests and they'll rave. It makes 2 loaves, so I make them and freeze them.
So give them all fruit, egg dish/tofu scramble as main course and pumpkin bread and it's an easy breakfast.

The Spinach Potato Hash that JB posted is excellent for EVERYONE!! For vegans serve it without the egg for your normal people, put an egg on top of theirs. It is very good. I made it without the vege sausage for my vegetarian and with regular sausage for my brother and I ate it also. Yummy.

PT please don't make the other guests suffer! If those guests choose to eat that way, let 'em, but the other guests want to innjoy DW's butter laden yummy and delicious breakfasts!
Share a big ol plate of fried tators in olive oil or something...but not everything.
Lesson learned - I made a gluten free pancake breakfast one morning, the gluten free thought they were the best they had ever eaten, and I think I heard the other guests vomit. Okay that is an exageration, but I spoke to them afterward and I HAD TO APOLOGIZE when they told me how bad it was. The others just told me how great it was! How they loved it!
So there ya go, I say this all the time, on all counts. Just because one raves, doesn't mean it is good! I still have guilt over that...doing that to those guests..
I whole heartily agree with JB. Not everyone loves the GF or Vegan or LF version of something. When we were trying the GF thing when my Oldest DD thought she may have a sensativity, we all tried to support her by eating what she ate, she couldn't even bring herself to like some of it.
JB's spinach hash is great, and with an egg or no egg is a good GF, LF or Vegan, but I wouldn't make that a go to for those guests that are looking for butter and carb laden "Screw the diet I am on vacation" breakfasts.
If I want to eat healthy I am not going to a B and B unless that is how you market the breakfasts.
Mine will be full of healthy options but let me tell you, when I milk Bessy and she gives me some seriously butterfat laden milk which becomes decant butter, I am not hiding that from the other guests 'cause someone is a vegan. If it offends them, let them take a bowl of cereal with their soy milk to their room.
Gimme a big stack of fluffy pancakes, and let the rest do what they choose, don't choose for me.

Back