Looking to become an Inn Keeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickychipps

Reaction score
Good Morning All,
I have been in the hotel industry for 18 years , I was fortunate enough to work in many great brand hotels around the globe , I have also gone the other direction and built a hotel in Afghanistan on a Military AFB, my position before then was Rooms Division Manager which is being responsible for Receptionists, Housekeepers, Guest Services , Transport and Reservationist's My question is would you employee me as your Inn Keeper:) I speak five languages which is great for business when dealing with international guests.
Nicky

Depends on what you would see your position here being...management or working stiff. Most B&B's & inns that are on here are owned and operated by a couple or single person and I don't believe any of us have a manager other than ourselves. IF we employ anyone it is in the position of housekeeper.
To garner a position that is more in line with your experience, you would need to find a high-end B&B (room rates over $250/night) or one with over 10 rooms. I don't think a B&B with under 10 rooms could afford to hire management AND staff for that person to manage.
That said, I do know of a couple of inns in the area that have 5 rooms and do have an onsite manager and that manager has staff. But the owner is completely hands-off in the day-to-day operations. The manager handles all of the office work, reservations, guest management, events the inn holds, cooks breakfast and oversees the staff.

Depends on what you would see your position here being...management or working stiff. Most B&B's & inns that are on here are owned and operated by a couple or single person and I don't believe any of us have a manager other than ourselves. IF we employ anyone it is in the position of housekeeper.
To garner a position that is more in line with your experience, you would need to find a high-end B&B (room rates over $250/night) or one with over 10 rooms. I don't think a B&B with under 10 rooms could afford to hire management AND staff for that person to manage.
That said, I do know of a couple of inns in the area that have 5 rooms and do have an onsite manager and that manager has staff. But the owner is completely hands-off in the day-to-day operations. The manager handles all of the office work, reservations, guest management, events the inn holds, cooks breakfast and oversees the staff..
Thank you for replying , I have no idea where to start to looking , Is there a site where I can go to advertise myself, when owners go on vacation I could possibly manage there property for them?

That said, I do know of a couple of inns in the area that have 5 rooms and do have an onsite manager and that manager has staff. But the owner is completely hands-off in the day-to-day operations. The manager handles all of the office work, reservations, guest management, events the inn holds, cooks breakfast and oversees the staff..
Thank you for replying , I have no idea where to start to looking , Is there a site where I can go to advertise myself, when owners go on vacation I could possibly manage there property for them?
nickychipps said:
Try this site for innkeeping needs and wants.
welcome.gif

It's the best one out there....

nickychipps said:
Try this site for innkeeping needs and wants.
welcome.gif

It's the best one out there....
Thank you , Having a look at it now:)

Welcome Nicky.
And obv since you posted under this category you have reviewed the other thread under "aspiring" as I see some re innsitters. https://www.innspiring.com/forum/aspiring-innkeepers
Just thought I would mention in case you didn't. There are other innsitters on this forum as well.
Each state association may have a page devoted to listing your services. So depends where you want to travel or live.

Check out this group also - www.interminnkeepers.net or contact me if you have any specific questions - I love to talk about inn-sitting!

Back