Loss estimates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just wondering, does anyorganization ever ask B&B's if they suffered a loss due to Hurricanes or Severe weather like Lee?
I see they are asking farmers/agrgiculture, but the tourism industry also suffers. Even if a storm never hits us, people cancel from where THEY live or are traveling.

check with your local police dept.
my brother in law is a dentist three days without power ... huge loss
i heard on the radio the next town over was asking people to apply for assistance ... they needed so many claims to qualify for fed relief. was a town by town thing
he is not in that town, was recommended to call the police dept where his office is to inquire.
it can't hurt to ask!
good luck

I am not asking for relief, I am just commenting on the overall toll it took on our industry and wondering if anyone keeps any sort of record of THAT loss.
Stats are shared about the cost of this storm and that storm, I was wondering if any of the loss of our business/industry is ever taken into account.
Does Paii ask for this info?

Joey Bloggs said:
Just wondering, does anyorganization ever ask B&B's if they suffered a loss due to Hurricanes or Severe weather like Lee?
I see they are asking farmers/agrgiculture, but the tourism industry also suffers. Even if a storm never hits us, people cancel from where THEY live or are traveling.
I will ask our Commissioner of Tourism when I see her this week.

I am not asking for relief, I am just commenting on the overall toll it took on our industry and wondering if anyone keeps any sort of record of THAT loss.
Stats are shared about the cost of this storm and that storm, I was wondering if any of the loss of our business/industry is ever taken into account.
Does Paii ask for this info?.
I know that information was calculated during Katrina - lodging, tourism, food industry was hugely affected in the Gulf. Probably came out of FEMA then.
Good question regarding any major storm, etc.

Does Paii ask for this info?.
I know that information was calculated during Katrina - lodging, tourism, food industry was hugely affected in the Gulf. Probably came out of FEMA then.
Samster said:
FEMA & Ins. companies when they compile their claims and compare with stats from years past to get a relatively accurate tally. ... I am sure there is more to it than this but that is what I was told via our local tourism office.

So if a claim is not filed, then there is no known figure of how much a certain storm cost the industry.

we are lucky in a way as Visit Britain sort of the advertising arm of the go to do with tourism work that sort of stuff out for us and provide us with a ton of info

I asked the research guy in Tourism yesterday. He is going to ask other State people on his research list to check. I have sent him an e-mail as a reminder.

I'm not sure how storms are accounted for but I do know that the tourism PR people are jumping to make sure everyone knows what roads have been reopened in VT after the media showed the state being closed when it was a limited area that was hard hit. ME is touting the great foliage with photos, etc.
They know there will be an impact and track lodging tax receipts to see how bad it is. But, other than that? Sort of a post mortem, but not a lot of proactive stuff other than showing roads being reopened. I think it's an excellent time for the tourism gurus to pull out the stops and get the good news out. But there doesn't seem to be a focused plan for that.
We were contacted by a TV station to report on tourism numbers a couple of years ago. And I've had surveys sent by the state to ask how tourism was, but not after a big storm or other disaster.

Back