Lost and found?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Anyone ever have anything left in the rooms? Lately, we have had people leaving stuff. Mostly phone chargers. I have 3 I have to go ship out just from this week. How do you guys deal with this? Do you have a fee you charge? Or do you just mail it back and eat the cost?

Yes, they sometimes leave items. We email if we know who's it is, but usually wait for them to contact us.
If we mail them an item it is $1 plus actual shipping. The $1 is to pay for my time and the envelope.
Few people actually bother with left items.

Here's a revelation! I just found this out this year.
If you give your UPS store the item a guest left, their phone and e mail, the UPS store will contact them, price the return, charge them and send it off. When a guest calls asking me to mail them this and that I tell them I will drop their item at Ups on the day I am running errands and they will contact you. No more lines at post office, taping boxes, charging their credit card....

BD who has a UPS store? haha not me.
But sounds like a great deal though.

If you give your UPS store the item a guest left, their phone and e mail, the UPS store will contact them, price the return, charge them and send it off. When a guest calls asking me to mail them this and that I tell them I will drop their item at Ups on the day I am running errands and they will contact you. No more lines at post office, taping boxes, charging their credit card.....
Very cool!

If it's something I can pop in an envelope I will send it on.
Of all the things I've sent back to people, even when they've said it has sentimental importance, not one single person has ever refunded the P&P, not one. So now it gets sent AFTER they pay the postage.

I do at least $4 more as it is my time - our nearest post office is 10 minutes walk away so takes me a good half an hour round trip.

I think we have discussed this kind of thing before. We don't mail back unless they call and ask for it back. Can get into very sticky situations if you get my drift. If they want it badly enough, they will contact you and you will have them pay to ship it back.

BD who has a UPS store? haha not me.
But sounds like a great deal though..
15 miles away in Hardy?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
15 miles away in Hardy?
There is one in a mall in a nearby city. And a Fivebucks. :)
The post office is 3 blocks away.
I remember last year someone left something and wanted it mailed back asap, I had to go in with the Christmas rush. I charged them $5 extra.

Firstly, I never contact the guest about anything left behind. I have a box in the basement with everything except undies, socks and other things I just don't save. I randomly go thru it after a few weeks and sort it out according to usability. Can I use it? Wash it and put it to use. Can the community center sell it? Wash it and bring it over. (They have a mink coat for sale right now that got left at the hotel next door LAST winter!)
Chargers I have many. I hand them out as loaners.
Charging the guest. It's a moving target. Did they stay one night and expect me to overnight a scarf to France? They pay. Did they stay a week and just ask if I could throw the item in parcel post? I pay. Most items fit in a small flat rate box for under $6.
I balance it out on how much they paid me to stay here for how long and how much it is going to cost me to ship it back.
OTOH, you sneak 2 extra people into the room and you're paying to have anything you left shipped back to you by sending me a SASE. (That's a lot of wait time.)

If you give your UPS store the item a guest left, their phone and e mail, the UPS store will contact them, price the return, charge them and send it off. When a guest calls asking me to mail them this and that I tell them I will drop their item at Ups on the day I am running errands and they will contact you. No more lines at post office, taping boxes, charging their credit card.....
Great tip! I'm going to remember this!

Back