Lots of hits and click throughs but why aren't they calling?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i am looking at the right place
my opinion is this ...
there is no actual online booking with an availability calendar.
i only see an option to pay for the room with paypal and a note to call and make sure a room is available for the night i want ... after i pay you. or i can call, or email, check on availability, and then pay? even though you only have two rooms, you need online booking and an availability calendar right there on your website. if it's there, i don't see it. 'reserve now' takes me to paypal.
give guests the option to book now for the room and night(s) they want. otherwise, they may just move on to the next b&b. you must make it easier for your guests to reserve those rooms. while they are on your site ... 'capture the sale'
ps ... it wants me to install apple quicktime. do you have a video that can only play using that? i just ignore notices like that and maybe i'm missing something nice by ignoring that popup..
You are right. There is no online booking with an availability calendar. I have struggled with doing this. I have read a lot of negative things about this, and a lot of positive things too.
I know I need to 'capture the sale'. DO AVAILABILITY CALENDARS AND 'BOOK NOW' REALLY WORK?? The other B&B in town has that and she is getting less bookings than me.
What is 'apple quicktime? and what is it for? I don't have a clue what that is about! Or why it is popping up on the web site! I'll have to do some investigating.
Thanks for your help everyone!
Sunshine said:
I know I need to 'capture the sale'. DO AVAILABILITY CALENDARS AND 'BOOK NOW' REALLY WORK?? The other B&B in town has that and she is getting less bookings than me.
40% of my reservations are online bookings. That works out to be around 400 reservations/year. 400 guests I didn't have to talk to, who knew what they wanted and just booked it while I slept or while I served breakfast or while I sat outside and read the paper.
Yes, it works and no, you do not get 'worse' guests from having online bookings. Believe me, you cannot tell a good guest from a bad guest on the phone. Some of the sweetest talkers turn out to be the most obnoxious people you've ever met.
Having online booking is NOT the reason the other B&B has fewer bookings than you do. Seriously.
Come on people this is 2010! You have to have on line availability and booking. There is just no excuse for not having it. We have heard them all here and we still say...GET IT!!!!!

I can't see the website, or a link in the user information. How are you all getting the website info?.
Banana said:
I can't see the website, or a link in the user information. How are you all getting the website info?
We know who she is...
Ah..ok. Thanks :) Thought I was missing something...which is typically the case.

Sunshine, looking at the other B&B ("GG") there are two things, we are anon here so I can mention them. If they are on the forum please tell me now.
1) The house looks dumpy. Plain and simple, yes and plain and simple! It may be nicer than it looks, but the homepage image is horrendous.
2) she charges $25 fee if you cancel even when abiding by their policies, which stinks!

my opinion is this ...
i only see an option to pay for the room with paypal and a note to call and make sure a room is available for the night i want ... after i pay you. or i can call, or email, check on availability, and then pay? even though you only have two rooms, you need online booking and an availability calendar right there on your website. if it's there, i don't see it. 'reserve now' takes me to paypal.
give guests the option to book now for the room and night(s) they want. otherwise, they may just move on to the next b&b. you must make it easier for your guests to reserve those rooms. while they are on your site ... 'capture the sale'
ps ... it wants me to install apple quicktime. do you have a video that can only play using that? i just ignore notices like that and maybe i'm missing something nice by ignoring that popup..
You are right. There is no online booking with an availability calendar. I have struggled with doing this. I have read a lot of negative things about this, and a lot of positive things too.
What is 'apple quicktime? and what is it for? I don't have a clue what that is about! Or why it is popping up on the web site! I'll have to do some investigating.
On JB's recommend, I looked at ReservationKey.com and liked what I saw. They are helpful, the system was easy to get started with although I am so non-techie my webdesigner helped get me set up. It is wasy to use and gives nice reports. AND is cost effective for me - 3 rooms (2 of which share a bath) in Podunk. Trust me, I am CHEAP. Look them over.
I had Webervations for several years and like this better. I would not be without online rez. If I am on the road, I do not have a computer and if I am just returning an inquiry message from my machine can ask the guest to go online to reserve telling them it is confirmes as soon as they do it because they have just given me their cc#. Whatever the cc processing comes to is better than PayPal being used - perhaps not cost-wise, but in professionalism and ease for guests. I do not take cc # on my booking process online, but even I am thinking about it. The only good thing about not doing it is they can (and yeehaa) many do pay cash or check so I do not have the fees.

Sunshine, looking at the other B&B ("GG") there are two things, we are anon here so I can mention them. If they are on the forum please tell me now.
1) The house looks dumpy. Plain and simple, yes and plain and simple! It may be nicer than it looks, but the homepage image is horrendous.
2) she charges $25 fee if you cancel even when abiding by their policies, which stinks!.
AND.........they both have on line availability/booking with Webervations.

If you don't want the general public to know your Inn you might want to remove some details from your posts, it was fairly easy to figure out.
If I were coming to your area, I would pick your place because of your animals...we have the same breed and they are the best
regular_smile.gif
But I really, really would not want to book if I had to call or email. It seems like there are only a few b&b's in your area and you are in a pretty neat spot here where if you'd spruce up your site just a bit you could slay the others.
Get Webervations or Reservation Key immediately. They are the most cost effective and the easiest to implement. You will not believe the feeling the first morning you wake up to a reservation that's come in overnight...KA-CHING! We offer an online booking discount and more than 90% of our bookings are online...and the QUALITY of guests we are getting is better than ever, because we're getting the kind of people who are willing to research where they are staying before making a reservation.
PICTURES. Your place looks incredible, but the pics are small (although larger and better than those of your competitors, for sure). Take multiple room views. Show the bathrooms. Have you seen Morticia's recent site upgrade? If you did a flash intro like hers with the rooms, the grounds, and your breakfast it would really draw people in. I guess overall I would say there are too many words and not enough visual for me. I would get rid of that review page entirely (there seems to be a formatting issue with it, the words overlap and I can't read them). Use the B&B.com or TA widgets if you want your reviews there.
Who are my innkeepers? Obviously someone takes care of such great big place, and has great knowledge about the many antiques inside...I want to see you! Get yourself in the pic with your animals. It's obvious that you are a huge part of what makes your guests so happy (from reading the listed reviews) so let folks know who they'll be seeing when they walk in the front door.
Your location seems superior to that of your competitors, emphasize the convenience and one of a kind nature of this.
Sorry if this is more info than you wanted to hear, but I know first hand the impact that a high quality, visually driven website can have. We are in a heavily b&b populated area, and our site took our Inn from consistently 4th in occupancy to 1st in one year.

Would love to see the site. :)
Definately get web reservation, its a "just do it" kind of thing, I get 100% of my bookings from the website.
I use flash for panoramic content, but it is possible to view the site on a iPhone and also make a booking if required. the rooms have iPhone clock-radio docks and most of our customers are younger people who generally email if they have a question but most we never talk to until they walk in.
Bo

my opinion is this ...
YES online availability calendars work. I may speak to only 1 in 10 guests prior to their booking. Some of them book from overseas, some book in the middle of the night. Most importantly these days people want to know NOW if the room is available, not wait til you respond to find out if it is, by then, they have booked elsewhere. There are my 2 cents, I have not looked at your website, not sure which one is yours.

sunshine, i just want to add something.
when you read the advise here, and the critiques (mine included), please don't be offended. i don't know you well enough to assume you'd be hurt by constructive criticism. i just know from experience that innkeepers, anyone really, who invests so much of themselves in their business and their website and especially those whose businesses are their home, sometimes feel overwhelmed or put off by our advice. i hope you don't. there is really good advice being given by people who know and want to help.

sunshine, i just want to add something.
when you read the advise here, and the critiques (mine included), please don't be offended. i don't know you well enough to assume you'd be hurt by constructive criticism. i just know from experience that innkeepers, anyone really, who invests so much of themselves in their business and their website and especially those whose businesses are their home, sometimes feel overwhelmed or put off by our advice. i hope you don't. there is really good advice being given by people who know and want to help..
Seashanty thank you for being sensitive about this.
Don't worry, I really don't feel offended at all. Nothing said was person or aimed at me personally, and I can see how all of it is to "help" me improve my site and get more bookings. I love all the help. There REALLY is some wonderful advice here! I am willing to make changes as necessary, and I feel confident in my abilities and WHO I am that I can take what people are saying and use whatever I can. Isn't that one of the reasons we have this form?? to help others?
PS i did post my website briefly....

Sunshine,
So while we are at it, basic search engine food, for thought. 20 hits a day is web-talk for not very much. So, quick moment to think about optimizing your page.
1. every page should have the words B&B, your city, best accomodation etc. But don't copy the same line to each page.
2. important links should also have a link tag, that is tag which can contain a more detailed description of what will be found on that next page.
3. MORE pages, create a thoughtful page for each room, again, this page need to contain point 1. you don't need to link it from the main menu, better to link from the rooms index page.
4 google maps, google anything, google.. well you get the point
5 make a google local business page, link it to your website, keep updating the wording about every 3-4 weeks just a little to keep it fresh and current.
.... search engines HATE stale websites.. update... make changes, change the copy under a picture. the engine will scan your site every month, making little edits tells the engine the site is active and current.. automatic higher listing.
.... LINKS... to you... sites are judged on how many meaningful sites like this site.. so how many important websites can you get to make a link to your website. call 10 friends with websites this week and get a link somewhere on their website. it can almost be a hidden link, but you want links to make it clear a lot of people are interested in your site.
You really need to set aside a afternoon 2-3 hours to massage your site at least once a month.. keep it organic and getting more interesting, this WILL grow your site trafic and your bookings... get something to capture bookings on the site, this is the web, nobody want to have to wait and find out if the room is avaiable. let them put their card down and make a payment.
Bo

Forgot one important detail - BEG - BEG like only a golden can in front of a family BBQ.
every week, on a fixed day, email each customer who have checked out this week. include a list of 3-4 places they could write a review about you... only offer these links to the jolly delighted happy customers. Grumpy people will take time to review everytime, happy ones rarely remember, if you help them it brings your serious trafic. start with the google local add page.
Bo

Sunshine:
80% of our bookings come directly off our website. We use Webervations, since we're Mac based, and most of the booking tools our there aren't.
We've been open almost exactly a year now, and our occupancy has exceeded our expectations (and our business plan!)
Of course, once you get 'em in the door with your website, you have to prove yourself with your service and hospitality. In our first year, some of our guests have returned as many as 5 times.
I haven't seen your website, because you didn't provide a link. But when we were planning our business, I looked at every B&B website I could find and almost went blind in the process. My observations about them: most oversell their property and fail to disclose blemishes, and the consequence is, when guests arrive and are disappointed, you have a big hurdle to jump convincing them of the value of your property.
It is amazing to me how many B&B websites don't provide such basic information such as: what the rooms look like and how much they cost.
Similarly, I'm astonished at how many B&B websites don't have a clue who their guests are; i.e. who they're directing their marketing toward. For example: our place is a huge ski lodge in the mountains with funky decor, a pool and hot tub and sauna, and huge rooms, most with fireplaces. Consequently, we market to active people, families, young couples, and people with dogs and miscellaneous children. We *so* don't want newlyweds or couples looking for a "romantic weekend." I was a church organist before my wife and I bought our place, and the last thing I need to deal with is one more psychotic bride, let alone her insane mother, being disappointed about the quality of our linens and dragging along a drooling groom in the hopes that he'll "be the man" when the negotiations get ugly.
In my opinion, most iknnkeepers who have their websites designed by people outside their business don't take the time to really think about their website as a marketing tool. They get promised (and get) something that's pretty, but doesn't really get the job done when it comes to: accurately disclosing what their rooms look like (the bad as well as the good); easily revealing what the tariff on the room is; disclosing what the ambience of the place really is; and closing the deal: i.e. making it easy for somebody to click on a link and book the room right then and there.
Oh, and let's talk about breakfast. We had a couple last week who had stayed at one of our near-by competitor's inn earlier in the year. It's much more upscale than we are. Flat-screen TVs in every room. Awesome venue. But the innkeepers were too busy to talk to them, and the breakfast was, well, mediocre. Our guest was telling me this at breakfast. "That's terrible," I agreed. "Would you like me to drizzle some more home-made hollandaise on your roasted asparagus?"

HighMountainLodge...may I call you The Funky Phantom?
teeth_smile.gif

In the Harmony Series by my beloved Indiana Author Philip Gulley - there is a church organist, who also doubles by playing when-the-moon-hits-your-eye at the all-you-can-eat-spaghetti night on Tuesdays at the local Italian restaurant who they believe is owned by a couple in the witness relocation plan, otherwise why would an Italian couple move to small-town-central-Indiana.
From that story I have secretly nicknamed the organist at our church of 4 years the Phantom and threatened DH during the service to "PULL THE PLUG" at times. She is the sweetest little granny I have ever met, no one knows of her call sign from the fourth pew piano side.

Bo, right on! I agree with everything you said on the design and seo. I don't agree about the Reviews though, let them review yes, but won't beg.

Sunshine:
80% of our bookings come directly off our website. We use Webervations, since we're Mac based, and most of the booking tools our there aren't.
We've been open almost exactly a year now, and our occupancy has exceeded our expectations (and our business plan!)
Of course, once you get 'em in the door with your website, you have to prove yourself with your service and hospitality. In our first year, some of our guests have returned as many as 5 times.
I haven't seen your website, because you didn't provide a link. But when we were planning our business, I looked at every B&B website I could find and almost went blind in the process. My observations about them: most oversell their property and fail to disclose blemishes, and the consequence is, when guests arrive and are disappointed, you have a big hurdle to jump convincing them of the value of your property.
It is amazing to me how many B&B websites don't provide such basic information such as: what the rooms look like and how much they cost.
Similarly, I'm astonished at how many B&B websites don't have a clue who their guests are; i.e. who they're directing their marketing toward. For example: our place is a huge ski lodge in the mountains with funky decor, a pool and hot tub and sauna, and huge rooms, most with fireplaces. Consequently, we market to active people, families, young couples, and people with dogs and miscellaneous children. We *so* don't want newlyweds or couples looking for a "romantic weekend." I was a church organist before my wife and I bought our place, and the last thing I need to deal with is one more psychotic bride, let alone her insane mother, being disappointed about the quality of our linens and dragging along a drooling groom in the hopes that he'll "be the man" when the negotiations get ugly.
In my opinion, most iknnkeepers who have their websites designed by people outside their business don't take the time to really think about their website as a marketing tool. They get promised (and get) something that's pretty, but doesn't really get the job done when it comes to: accurately disclosing what their rooms look like (the bad as well as the good); easily revealing what the tariff on the room is; disclosing what the ambience of the place really is; and closing the deal: i.e. making it easy for somebody to click on a link and book the room right then and there.
Oh, and let's talk about breakfast. We had a couple last week who had stayed at one of our near-by competitor's inn earlier in the year. It's much more upscale than we are. Flat-screen TVs in every room. Awesome venue. But the innkeepers were too busy to talk to them, and the breakfast was, well, mediocre. Our guest was telling me this at breakfast. "That's terrible," I agreed. "Would you like me to drizzle some more home-made hollandaise on your roasted asparagus?".
HML (phantom???) We too have gotton several repeat guests, and have been told our breakfasts are amazing! I know we are right on in providing the 'service' aspect of the business. We love our guests and they know it.
Yes, my website needs some help. I'm working on it .... thanks to all the wonderful suggestions made here.
As far as knowing who our guests are.... thats really tricky. We gets bike riders because we are close to the trail, we get anniversary couples, we get honeymooners, vacationers, But the bulk of our guests live in an upscale community in a nearby large city (This is all word of mouth, as we don't advertise there).
PS... do you really serve 'roasted aspargus' at breakfast??? :)

Bo, right on! I agree with everything you said on the design and seo. I don't agree about the Reviews though, let them review yes, but won't beg..
We had guests who have said they chose us because of the reviews!
We had guests who have said they chose us because of the dogs!
We had guest who chose us because of our website!
We had guests chose us through word of mouth!
So not everything is off... and I know we are doing better than last year and better than our competitors (both by the way are selling). I guess I really am so ready to quit my (demaning and stressful) day job, and only do the B&B and volunteer one day a week. I want the B&B to pick up and do more business so I can do this and I get a little hmmm impatient.... sometimes. I think opening a third room is good and will help.
I really do appreciate all the suggestions made here. I'm working on it!.....
Thanks Guys!

Forgot one important detail - BEG - BEG like only a golden can in front of a family BBQ.
every week, on a fixed day, email each customer who have checked out this week. include a list of 3-4 places they could write a review about you... only offer these links to the jolly delighted happy customers. Grumpy people will take time to review everytime, happy ones rarely remember, if you help them it brings your serious trafic. start with the google local add page.
Bo.
I would like to do this... what is the "google local add page"?

Back