LOUD guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After hearing about the problems with "Sounds" getting out of the rooms and into the spaces beyond, I am thinking that sound proofing might be something I should design in when we build. Concreat blocks come to mind! Have any here has success with the sound proofing problem?.
THis is also something I want to look into this winter, due to problems with the guest room above our bedroom. Some people are noisy and inconsiderate, but even those who are not we can still hear them get up to go to the loo in the night, or even drawing the curtains or talking softly.
I've long since given up policing guests that disturb other guests. That's a no-win scenario, tell the noisy people to be quiet and they get the hump, don't tell them to be quiet and the people they're disturbing get annoyed.
The HGTV show "Income Property" where they redo rental apts in people's homes uses some type of soundproofing insulation doube thickness and then some fire rating special dry wall that all so protects as well as insulates. He always talks about some sort of separator put in as well so there is not direct contact with the flooring above the apt.
catlady said:
The HGTV show "Income Property" where they redo rental apts in people's homes uses some type of soundproofing insulation doube thickness and then some fire rating special dry wall that all so protects as well as insulates. He always talks about some sort of separator put in as well so there is not direct contact with the flooring above the apt.
I love that show. The soundproofing they use on that show is called Roxul. I am looking into when I redo the ceiling on my bedroom. I have a room right above mine and hoping this Roxul stuff will help.
Ha ha...I always thought he was saying "rock wool" Didn't know the name of the product. It is acoustic insulation...but I guess that is right as well...See link:)
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Acoustical-Fire-Batts-Mineral-Wool-2-inch-Case-of-6--1006.html
catlady said:
Ha ha...I always thought he was saying "rock wool" Didn't know the name of the product. It is acoustic insulation...but I guess that is right as well...See link:)
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Acoustical-Fire-Batts-Mineral-Wool-2-inch-Case-of-6--1006.html
It is called Rock Wool insulation.
There. I knew I wasn't crazy! Rock wool insulation.

After hearing about the problems with "Sounds" getting out of the rooms and into the spaces beyond, I am thinking that sound proofing might be something I should design in when we build. Concreat blocks come to mind! Have any here has success with the sound proofing problem?.
THis is also something I want to look into this winter, due to problems with the guest room above our bedroom. Some people are noisy and inconsiderate, but even those who are not we can still hear them get up to go to the loo in the night, or even drawing the curtains or talking softly.
I've long since given up policing guests that disturb other guests. That's a no-win scenario, tell the noisy people to be quiet and they get the hump, don't tell them to be quiet and the people they're disturbing get annoyed.
catlady said:
I love that show. The soundproofing they use on that show is called Roxul. I am looking into when I redo the ceiling on my bedroom. I have a room right above mine and hoping this Roxul stuff will help.
Well, you weren't the only one. I thought rock wool was a real thing, too.
They actually spray a molten rock mixture into an air stream to make it. I saw it on "How It's Made", a TV show.

Just wanted to mention we had a family of 3 in that same room last night. Other than hearing the door open, I never heard a peep out of them.

Got a couple in for 2 nights, last night tonight. They are so loud. We can here them talking in their room from our bedroom. They've brought their Ipod docing station with them and had loud music on yesterday evening, luckily not too late. But then the bed was squeaking and there was moaning until 12.30. Not putting up with noise again tonight.
Will be so glad to see them go tomorrow.
Isn't it strange, had a bad feeling about this booking even before they arrived.

Speaking of loud... had one check in yesterday (one night thankfully) lawd she was loud. DH said the pictures were vibrating in the dining room this morning. I couldn't hear that but I sure heard her - loud and clear. No one else could carry on another conversation as she dominated it all. She was nice but WOW!

Got a couple in for 2 nights, last night tonight. They are so loud. We can here them talking in their room from our bedroom. They've brought their Ipod docing station with them and had loud music on yesterday evening, luckily not too late. But then the bed was squeaking and there was moaning until 12.30. Not putting up with noise again tonight.
Isn't it strange, had a bad feeling about this booking even before they arrived..
this is why I have never been keen on I-pod docking stations in rooms some people have no concept of volume at all.

Isn't it strange, had a bad feeling about this booking even before they arrived..
this is why I have never been keen on I-pod docking stations in rooms some people have no concept of volume at all.
I'd considered putting them in the rooms too...........No!
Not unless I can power them off from our bedroom. "It just stopped working around midnight?......really?.....I'll have a look at it when I clean the room".

Not unless I can power them off from our bedroom. "It just stopped working around midnight?......really?.....I'll have a look at it when I clean the room".
Highlands John said:
Place we looked at to buy had the remote control in their control. If it was too loud, they would walk by the room and lower the sound. They said it worked mostly the first time they did it, sometimes they had to go back a second time.

The best part of loud guests - they stay they pay they go away, tomorrow someone else will be in that room and they will not even be a memory...it is what it is...

The best part of loud guests - they stay they pay they go away, tomorrow someone else will be in that room and they will not even be a memory...it is what it is....
When we've had PITAs staying there is something therapeutic about giving the room a thorough clean after they've gone.

Back