LOUD guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
There isn't much to do about them, but I can clearly hear every single word they are saying. No one else can, but I am in the office and they are loud. Oddly, last weekend a group of 8 women were in that same room laughing and drinking and I couldn't hear anything but the occasional guffaw.

After hearing about the problems with "Sounds" getting out of the rooms and into the spaces beyond, I am thinking that sound proofing might be something I should design in when we build. Concreat blocks come to mind! Have any here has success with the sound proofing problem?

After hearing about the problems with "Sounds" getting out of the rooms and into the spaces beyond, I am thinking that sound proofing might be something I should design in when we build. Concreat blocks come to mind! Have any here has success with the sound proofing problem?.
THis is also something I want to look into this winter, due to problems with the guest room above our bedroom. Some people are noisy and inconsiderate, but even those who are not we can still hear them get up to go to the loo in the night, or even drawing the curtains or talking softly.
I've long since given up policing guests that disturb other guests. That's a no-win scenario, tell the noisy people to be quiet and they get the hump, don't tell them to be quiet and the people they're disturbing get annoyed.

After hearing about the problems with "Sounds" getting out of the rooms and into the spaces beyond, I am thinking that sound proofing might be something I should design in when we build. Concreat blocks come to mind! Have any here has success with the sound proofing problem?.
THis is also something I want to look into this winter, due to problems with the guest room above our bedroom. Some people are noisy and inconsiderate, but even those who are not we can still hear them get up to go to the loo in the night, or even drawing the curtains or talking softly.
I've long since given up policing guests that disturb other guests. That's a no-win scenario, tell the noisy people to be quiet and they get the hump, don't tell them to be quiet and the people they're disturbing get annoyed.
Highlands John said:
I get that, but in the end, I have to ask myself, "Which group do I want to come back?"

Check with your builders. From what I understand, you need a double wall with space between I believe, but my husband is the builder. Sound makes a vibration and that is what you hear. With the double walls that takes care of it. What we did was arrange our rooms in the new wing with halls between them. Since our wing is on a slanted slope, the two top rooms have a hall inbetween which will have the stairs down, and the same hall will separate the two rooms below.
RIki

This is one of the biggest complaints I hear from our guests about other B&Bs. Since we built from scratch, we did the double wall thing and insulated them both. Works perfectly. No sound transmission whatsoever. We went 2 x 6 but 2x4 construction would work as well just be sure to leave a gap and insulate it.

Check with your builders. From what I understand, you need a double wall with space between I believe, but my husband is the builder. Sound makes a vibration and that is what you hear. With the double walls that takes care of it. What we did was arrange our rooms in the new wing with halls between them. Since our wing is on a slanted slope, the two top rooms have a hall inbetween which will have the stairs down, and the same hall will separate the two rooms below.
RIki
Having a hall on two sides of each room and the outside on the remaining sides sounds like a good idea. We are thinking of using a seperate wing for the guest area and this could be designed in. The wing can be shut down for Winter if not used.

The HGTV show "Income Property" where they redo rental apts in people's homes uses some type of soundproofing insulation doube thickness and then some fire rating special dry wall that all so protects as well as insulates. He always talks about some sort of separator put in as well so there is not direct contact with the flooring above the apt.

Loud people are loud. We have complaints that it is too quiet here. You can't please em all. Do what you do, they aren't in their own homes, they need to get over it, stay in a hotel with self closing doorways and hallways where they go slam slam slam and ice machines hitting plastic buckets at all hours and loud voices echoeing down the corridors 50 feet away. Old man with a hearing aid who has his wife screaming at them so they can hear. People flying up and down the stairs, or slamming their giant suitcases step by step down the stairs. People talking over the hair dryer in the bathroom. Someone on a cell phone marching back and forth as they talk - on call after call. Boisterous animated loud people, they are just loud all the time. I mean, what ya gonna do?!

I agree with JB, there are just loud people. I'm married to someone whose voice gets louder and louder in restaurants when the noise level around goes up marginally. He claims that he "can't hear himself". Dude! The rest of us can hear you just fine! I have to give him the signal to dial down the volume all the time.
Then there are the people that just seem to stomp. Even petite ladies. What is up with that?
Nothing you can do about it...it's ingrained in them probably.

This is one of the biggest complaints I hear from our guests about other B&Bs. Since we built from scratch, we did the double wall thing and insulated them both. Works perfectly. No sound transmission whatsoever. We went 2 x 6 but 2x4 construction would work as well just be sure to leave a gap and insulate it..
It takes a very noisy guest to cause others a problem here because all our guest bedrooms are separated by either landing or ensuites.
It's the ceiling above our bedroom which is the problem.

The HGTV show "Income Property" where they redo rental apts in people's homes uses some type of soundproofing insulation doube thickness and then some fire rating special dry wall that all so protects as well as insulates. He always talks about some sort of separator put in as well so there is not direct contact with the flooring above the apt.
We've seen that show and gotten great ideas from it. BUT, you notice he takes the ceiling down to do the work. And therein lies our problem. That's a lot of work. So the room is offline while it's getting done and it lowers the ceiling as well.
My laugh about this was that the 8 ladies drinking were nowhere near as loud as this small family.

RIki
Having a hall on two sides of each room and the outside on the remaining sides sounds like a good idea. We are thinking of using a seperate wing for the guest area and this could be designed in. The wing can be shut down for Winter if not used.
Hollowwood said:
that is exactly what we have. Two wings with rooms which can be closed off. Our loft apartment is above the common area, so when nobody is there during the week in the winter slower season we can shut off everything but our loft apartment. So the whole ground floor can be turned off.
RIki

out trouble is we live in the basement and basements arn't common here so people assume because they are on the ground floor there is no one under them so stomp about we had one chap got up 5am and did jumping jacks! ive got to the point where I tell people when I check into that room to be aware there is a bedroom under there plus we try and use that room the least if we can. It was a family room but weve changed it into a double which has solved a lot of the problems.

catlady said:
I love that show. The soundproofing they use on that show is called Roxul. I am looking into when I redo the ceiling on my bedroom. I have a room right above mine and hoping this Roxul stuff will help.

catlady said:
I love that show. The soundproofing they use on that show is called Roxul. I am looking into when I redo the ceiling on my bedroom. I have a room right above mine and hoping this Roxul stuff will help.
Ha ha...I always thought he was saying "rock wool" Didn't know the name of the product. It is acoustic insulation...but I guess that is right as well...See link:)
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Acoustical-Fire-Batts-Mineral-Wool-2-inch-Case-of-6--1006.html

catlady said:
We have it in all of pur walls and ceilings - still can hear sounds- rather disappointing result

catlady said:
Ha ha...I always thought he was saying "rock wool" Didn't know the name of the product. It is acoustic insulation...but I guess that is right as well...See link:)
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Acoustical-Fire-Batts-Mineral-Wool-2-inch-Case-of-6--1006.html
Well, you weren't the only one. I thought rock wool was a real thing, too.

catlady said:
catlady said:
It is called Rock Wool insulation.

catlady said:
We have it in all of pur walls and ceilings - still can hear sounds- rather disappointing result
They mention when using it to use some sort of "baffle" thing so that there is spacing between the ceiling and floor so there is not direct contact and they also use some special sheet rock as well.

Back