Love birds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Conversation going along swimmingly in the dining room until the love birds showed up. Everyone now feels they're 'in the way' and 'third wheels' as these 2 gaze longingly at each other and hold hands and scootch their chairs closer together. Puhleeze people. You've got a room...

I'd take that over what I had here today; all the guests looking at their iPhones during breakfast, no one talking. I'd start a conversation, they'd join in for a minute or two until I left the room and then right back to their phones. I'm thinking about making the dining room a phone free zone.

I'd take that over what I had here today; all the guests looking at their iPhones during breakfast, no one talking. I'd start a conversation, they'd join in for a minute or two until I left the room and then right back to their phones. I'm thinking about making the dining room a phone free zone..
Country Girl said:
I'm thinking about making the dining room a phone free zone.
Rules rules rules are a big reason people give for NOT staying at B&Bs.

I'd take that over what I had here today; all the guests looking at their iPhones during breakfast, no one talking. I'd start a conversation, they'd join in for a minute or two until I left the room and then right back to their phones. I'm thinking about making the dining room a phone free zone..
Country Girl said:
Arkansawyer said:
Country Girl said:
Agreed. And maybe they were awful to talk to anyway...you just never know. If everyone was happy, haha!

Country Girl said:
Arkansawyer said:
Country Girl said:
Agreed. And maybe they were awful to talk to anyway...you just never know. If everyone was happy, haha!
Ours left after coffee. Didn't even stay for breakfast. After they left everyone went back to chatting again.

Country Girl said:
I'd take that over what I had here today; all the guests looking at their iPhones during breakfast, no one talking. I'd start a conversation, they'd join in for a minute or two until I left the room and then right back to their phones. I'm thinking about making the dining room a phone free zone.
We have newspaper readers. Some use their e-readers, some the actual paper. Some are rude enough to read very loudly to their spouse and carry on a very loud conversation about people in the news who they know. The worst are the ones who take the entire paper to their table on the pretext that they can actually read all of the sections at the same time. And they won't relinquish it when the food comes. 'No, I'm still reading that.' Seriously? There is no room, how can you read that entire paper and eat at the same time?
Manners. Lack thereof. Of course some people just lack self confidence and they think they have to be the center of attention or they disappear.

Country Girl said:
We have newspaper readers. Some use their e-readers, some the actual paper. Some are rude enough to read very loudly to their spouse and carry on a very loud conversation about people in the news who they know. The worst are the ones who take the entire paper to their table on the pretext that they can actually read all of the sections at the same time. And they won't relinquish it when the food comes. 'No, I'm still reading that.' Seriously? There is no room, how can you read that entire paper and eat at the same time?
Manners. Lack thereof. Of course some people just lack self confidence and they think they have to be the center of attention or they disappear.
at least 2 readers are small!

Country Girl said:
OTOH, today we had father & teen son reading the paper together and talking about the news.

We offer breakfast buffet style between 8am and 10am . We also have three tables set for breakfast, they pick up the plate help themselves and people in general are clickish. Birds of feather flock together law. I even have them trained to fill there own coffee from the master pot.
There is usually a table of normal people to talk with. I however personally pull a "Newhart" and am no longer available for breakfast. I still go once in awhile and its basically still run as I set it up seven years ago.
When my partner was able to leave his job in the city and join me at the Country House, he asked, how do I fit in around here? My reply....."Welcome to Utopia your on breakfast duty for the rest of your life and its non negotiable." I have also been known to say "There is but one true Queen and it is not Elizabeth"

Back