Love my new surveillance camera

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cat_lady

Reaction score
I know there was a previous thread on someone working at an inn that was being 'spied' on by the owners. But this doesn't have anything to do with that.
I seem to always find myself in the laundry room just before check in hours and I have a very hard time knowing when my guests arrive. I bring the doorbell with me in the laundry room but now everyone rings. Some just knock. Some walk right in. So we bought the surveillance camera kit from Costco last week and I finally found the time to set it up. What a difference!
i have one camera pointed to the parking lot and the other to the front door. Since we've set it up, I've been able to meet every guest at the front door before they've even had the chance to ring or knock. I can view from my phone, my iPad or my laptop. I just love it.
Thanks to those of you for chiming in and saying that you used one. Another inspiring.com tidbit that I've put to good use!

That sounds like a great solution. May have to check on doing this for us too

So happy to hear that one works, I've been looking at it. We are moving into a new little house beside the B&B. I will have one setup over there so that I can see if it's a returning guest coming back or a new guest checking in and head right over there before they even have time to park. I'm also looking at one of those doorbells that will ring my cellphone in case I'm at the store for those who are showing up early. I can let them know that I'm not there and where to go get lunch or an ice cream until I'm back.

Dual purpose! Great!
I currently have a motion sensor set up in my driveway. It buzzes me when someone has pulled in.

we have a camera which covers the car park - also means I can stop them parking badly even before they have their engine stopped - much easier.

That would be me! I agree, this camera set up is perfect! The inn I'm at is continuing to watch us and that's not right nor is it necessary.

I was just thinking of getting that. Which one did you get?

Do your guests know they are under surveillance? Your term, so thought I would use it. What country are you in? I would like to learn more. I don't feel comfortable doing this, although I can see its benefits as an innkeeper. Thank you.

Do your guests know they are under surveillance? Your term, so thought I would use it. What country are you in? I would like to learn more. I don't feel comfortable doing this, although I can see its benefits as an innkeeper. Thank you..
I'm in the UK - you have to put signs up saying please be aware that you are on recorded camera - you don't have to put signs up if you are not recording. For example if a guest wasn't happy they could legitimately leave without paying. However in the UK especially over parking areas especially it is seen as a bonus ie extra security for their vehicles - especially people with VERY expensive motor bikes love it as people come in vans and load them up security chains and all and drive them off - not here thank goodness but you never know.
We also have lately had a spate of young lads weeing in the car park which really hacks me off!
Inside it covers the front door and the way to the breakfast room so I can see them coming.
Sad to say we felt the need to put it in after we took a young family late at night in the pouring rain against my better judgement late at night - they left during the night with the TV.

Do your guests know they are under surveillance? Your term, so thought I would use it. What country are you in? I would like to learn more. I don't feel comfortable doing this, although I can see its benefits as an innkeeper. Thank you..
I'm in the UK - you have to put signs up saying please be aware that you are on recorded camera - you don't have to put signs up if you are not recording. For example if a guest wasn't happy they could legitimately leave without paying. However in the UK especially over parking areas especially it is seen as a bonus ie extra security for their vehicles - especially people with VERY expensive motor bikes love it as people come in vans and load them up security chains and all and drive them off - not here thank goodness but you never know.
We also have lately had a spate of young lads weeing in the car park which really hacks me off!
Inside it covers the front door and the way to the breakfast room so I can see them coming.
Sad to say we felt the need to put it in after we took a young family late at night in the pouring rain against my better judgement late at night - they left during the night with the TV.
Are they weeing against a wall? Because there is a GREAT solution to that. You paint the wall with a hydrophobic coating and it will splash everywhere... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2982683/Locals-fed-drunks-urinating-party-area-St-Pauli-Hamburg-cover-walls-hydrophobic-paint-bounces-covers-clothes.html

I have a driveway monitor. It's only sound, no video. It's the only thing I would ever consider on my property. No video for us, it's too creepy in my opinion. I could see it's possible use in a large city, but if I were to see cameras, I would think the property and/or the area were unsafe.

I have a driveway monitor. It's only sound, no video. It's the only thing I would ever consider on my property. No video for us, it's too creepy in my opinion. I could see it's possible use in a large city, but if I were to see cameras, I would think the property and/or the area were unsafe..
Breakfast Diva said:
I have a driveway monitor. It's only sound, no video. It's the only thing I would ever consider on my property. No video for us, it's too creepy in my opinion. I could see it's possible use in a large city, but if I were to see cameras, I would think the property and/or the area were unsafe.
It can be looked at both ways BD. Some people feel better knowing their cars etc are being watched after.
We put up outdoor subservience after having a few things of ours vandalized. We knew who it was (neighbor kids) but could not prove it. Cameras up with a sign and the problem stopped.
There are no cameras inside at all. Not a single guest has questioned this.

We get a lot of people in the process of a move. They either are traveling with a small trailer or have their cars packed to the brim. They feel more secure than at a hotel and like knowing the lot is being watched. We provide no guarantees but the extra eye is welcomed.

I have a driveway monitor. It's only sound, no video. It's the only thing I would ever consider on my property. No video for us, it's too creepy in my opinion. I could see it's possible use in a large city, but if I were to see cameras, I would think the property and/or the area were unsafe..
Breakfast Diva said:
It can be looked at both ways BD. Some people feel better knowing their cars etc are being watched after.
We put up outdoor subservience after having a few things of ours vandalized. We knew who it was (neighbor kids) but could not prove it. Cameras up with a sign and the problem stopped.
There are no cameras inside at all. Not a single guest has questioned this.

We get a lot of people in the process of a move. They either are traveling with a small trailer or have their cars packed to the brim. They feel more secure than at a hotel and like knowing the lot is being watched. We provide no guarantees but the extra eye is welcomed.
I'm sure my location colors my opinion. We're in an area where locals don't lock their cars or doors.
regular_smile.gif

I do not record and both cameras are pointed to outdoor areas. I only use the monitor during check in period so I can give myself the heads up. I can't be bothered at other times.
I got mine at Costco. It's a Lorex Wireless with two cameras.
Also, while I was checking the monitor for my last arrival, I noticed one of the guests' trunk had been left open. It was a rental and he had pushed the trunk button by mistake. He was pretty happy to be notified since it had started to drizzle.

Back