Love the "converts"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this was said at the table today "You don't get this at a hotel!" when we brought the main course in. GO TEAM!

As usual, it is great to see so many interesting responses to the topic.
Through my 5 years of being open I have found a payment plan that works really well for me, it may help someone else out there too.
Guests may not always like to pay in advance, but it has relieved alot of pressure from my life. I have a 14 day cancellation policy. I advise guests that payment is collected about 14 days prior to arrival in accordance with this policy. Many times, we never have to discuss money. If they want their receipt, I can give them a copy. Most of the time they don't. If someone wants to pay cash, I am always happy to accept, but will record a credit card number in the event of a no show. Checks are welcome as long as there is time for it to clear before their arrival.
The policy is clear and it has taken a load of concern and work off my plate. I can enjoy them while they are here rather than sorting out the financial aspect of their stay..
Allnations you are in which country? Most of my bookings come in well under 14 days in advance, so I guess those are all prepay as well.
Just for me, I could never take prepayment unless it was a whole house booking, it wouldn't fly here.
I am in Indiana, where are you?
You would be surprised at what would "fly" when you create the policy. I get bookings from several sites and we have a variety of events that bring people to town. No matter where you are, you can give it a try-if you find it is costing you business, change the policy. If you find that people will follow it, you can collect payment and not have to discuss it again. Also, I find that trying to rebook rooms within 2 weeks is hard. I tell customers that is the reason for the policy and they generally understand.
allnationsbnb said:
You would be surprised at what would "fly" when you create the policy. I get bookings from several sites and we have a variety of events that bring people to town. No matter where you are, you can give it a try-if you find it is costing you business, change the policy. If you find that people will follow it, you can collect payment and not have to discuss it again. Also, I find that trying to rebook rooms within 2 weeks is hard. I tell customers that is the reason for the policy and they generally understand.
I can't afford to test it and possibly cost business though. How do you know how many you do not get? I have Indiana on my list...there is another innmate there I can't wait to visit. I am in old dominion.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
I have Indiana on my list...there is another innmate there I can't wait to visit.
If you drive thru central Ohio, look me up! I'd love to meet you!

As usual, it is great to see so many interesting responses to the topic.
Through my 5 years of being open I have found a payment plan that works really well for me, it may help someone else out there too.
Guests may not always like to pay in advance, but it has relieved alot of pressure from my life. I have a 14 day cancellation policy. I advise guests that payment is collected about 14 days prior to arrival in accordance with this policy. Many times, we never have to discuss money. If they want their receipt, I can give them a copy. Most of the time they don't. If someone wants to pay cash, I am always happy to accept, but will record a credit card number in the event of a no show. Checks are welcome as long as there is time for it to clear before their arrival.
The policy is clear and it has taken a load of concern and work off my plate. I can enjoy them while they are here rather than sorting out the financial aspect of their stay..
Allnations you are in which country? Most of my bookings come in well under 14 days in advance, so I guess those are all prepay as well.
Just for me, I could never take prepayment unless it was a whole house booking, it wouldn't fly here.
allnationsbnb said:
I can't afford to test it and possibly cost business though. How do you know how many you do not get? I have Indiana on my list...there is another innmate there I can't wait to visit. I am in old dominion.
wink_smile.gif

I began to look at the local policy of the hotels nearby. If someone books 25% or 50%, more so even 75% or 100% of a hotels occupancy the cancellation policy is VERY strict. I have 4 rooms, when a guest books 25% of my occupancy it is just as difficult for me to re rent it as it is for a hotel with 100 rooms to re rent 25 rooms. I don't know how many guests I might loose with the tighter policy but I loose a lot less revenue. Recently I was expecting 3 guests from Berlin, Germany and they had to cancel last minute due to the volcanic ash issues in Europe.
That was a judgement call, I ended up giving them a refund for good business practice.
Also, if someone has to cancel at last minute I allow them to come another time and their room is paid for.
I have listed on booking.com. I know they would like my cancellation policy to be more flexible, but they take a commission and require low rates, so it remains 2 weeks.
You could test it out on 1 or 2 rooms, especially if you are listed on external sites.

Back