Luggage racks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Right now we have solid oak luggage racks that are more like furniture than anything else! MOST guests do not use them at all. The bags are on the floor, on the bed(s), anywhere but the luggage racks. I am thinking about buying the very simple fold up racks and tucking them into a corner. Taking out the 4' luggage racks will give me so much more floor space.
Given the guests don't use them, what do you think? Give it a try in a couple of rooms and see how it works out or what?
I really liked those luggage mats in the other thread. Better idea than that is maybe an old blanket with 'Throw luggage here' stenciled on it.

how about reverse psychology ...a sign on the luggage racks that says "please do not put your luggage here"

We help folks with their luggage and put it on the racks!! There are plenty of people that like not having to bend over to get into their luggage (like ME!). I wouldn't take them out of the rooms.

We use the wooden ones that fold up so if the guests don't want to use them they can stick them in the closet. They probably get used 50% of the time.

Good Morning Mort
I have the fold up luggage racks in all of my guest rooms. When checking guest in I mention the rack to them so they will use it but most times they end up on bed or floor.If you do use the luggage racks go to the hardware store and buy plexy glass and hang it up behind the racks so if guest do use them it will not make any marks on your walls. I learned that trick with my other Inn I bought a few years back. But the fold up racks are nice so if they are not being used just fold up and put away

We have the fold up kind as they are required for our star rating but the number of people I have had say "oh is that what they are for?" is too many to mention people just don't know what they are for.

Good Morning Mort
I have the fold up luggage racks in all of my guest rooms. When checking guest in I mention the rack to them so they will use it but most times they end up on bed or floor.If you do use the luggage racks go to the hardware store and buy plexy glass and hang it up behind the racks so if guest do use them it will not make any marks on your walls. I learned that trick with my other Inn I bought a few years back. But the fold up racks are nice so if they are not being used just fold up and put away.
Did you get them locally? I'm seeing them for $50 at BB&B and that seems steep.

Good Morning Mort
I have the fold up luggage racks in all of my guest rooms. When checking guest in I mention the rack to them so they will use it but most times they end up on bed or floor.If you do use the luggage racks go to the hardware store and buy plexy glass and hang it up behind the racks so if guest do use them it will not make any marks on your walls. I learned that trick with my other Inn I bought a few years back. But the fold up racks are nice so if they are not being used just fold up and put away.
All four of mine (2 wooden, 2 chrome) came from Tuesday Morning. I bought so much stuff when I was starting up... Then the store in town closed down
confused_smile.gif

Good Morning Mort
All four of mine (2 wooden, 2 chrome) came from Tuesday Morning. I bought so much stuff when I was starting up... Then the store in town closed down
confused_smile.gif

Thanks! We still have one of those. I'll check it out.

We have the fold up kind as they are required for our star rating but the number of people I have had say "oh is that what they are for?" is too many to mention people just don't know what they are for..
Small world, Camberly! I notice you're in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. We'll be in Holmfirth in three weeks! (on a Last of the Summer Wine pilgramage)
Personally, I never use luggage racks (thought I DO know what they are for!). When I unpack or repack, I put the suitcase on the bed. So much more room to open it up and spread things out.

We have the fold up kind as they are required for our star rating but the number of people I have had say "oh is that what they are for?" is too many to mention people just don't know what they are for..
Small world, Camberly! I notice you're in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. We'll be in Holmfirth in three weeks! (on a Last of the Summer Wine pilgramage)
Personally, I never use luggage racks (thought I DO know what they are for!). When I unpack or repack, I put the suitcase on the bed. So much more room to open it up and spread things out.
arkansawyer said:
Hope you keep in mind that the guests before you did that, too, and no one washed the bedding between them and you. Even I, washaholic that I am, don't wash quilts after every guests. So all that crud from the cargo hold is on the bed. And on the cover you may be pulling up to your face at night. Or not, as most of us now know to throw the top cover on the floor.

arkansawyer said:
Hope you keep in mind that the guests before you did that, too, and no one washed the bedding between them and you. Even I, washaholic that I am, don't wash quilts after every guests. So all that crud from the cargo hold is on the bed. And on the cover you may be pulling up to your face at night. Or not, as most of us now know to throw the top cover on the floor.
Yep, the bedspread goes on the floor, folded neatly in a corner of my room before I'll crawl into any hotel bed. Blankets never get near my face either. Only the top sheet, which always covers my neck (vampire protection).
But I've had many a discussion, in hotel rooms, with friends and family who assume that the blankets, bedspreads, everything are washed after every guest! I think a lot of people are just good at denial of things they don't want to think about.
Which brings up carpet in hotel bedrooms. I hate it and wouldn't think of walking on it barefoot. But then, I must engage in my own denial at this point or there's no end of filth in the world that could come to mind! We all must find our own personal level of cleanliness fetish.
I'm glad you're a washaholic. Don't ever change.

Good Morning Mort
I got mine online from Sam's. They don't seem to have the wooden ones any more, but they have a 6-pack of chrome ones for about $25 each. Check American Hotel Registry, too.
My only suggestion - thanks to CL for suggesting this many many years ago - is to provide two per room. I am so happy when I stay somewhere and there's a rack for me and one for my DH. There are always two suitcases with two people.

I recently bought one for my guest bedroom at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are wood with black fabric straps across the top. I think they have more online too.

I also have the folding type and they get used alot. Also 2 rooms have cedar chests that hold alot of luggage too.

Cool there is a lot to do in Yorkshire the weather is excellent for sightseeing at the moment so I hope it holds for you.

Back