Luggage Racks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Okay so what do you do other than have beadboard walls to stop guests from putting the luggage racks up against a wall and scratching the heck and marking the wall all up?
I move them, I put them in the closet, I put them in a place NOT against a wall and the guests always move them up against wall and mark the heck out of our walls!
Any suggestions to prevent this? (Pls don't suggest new luggage racks as that is not an option) - so FREE ADVICE for a FREE solution is wanted.
regular_smile.gif

Can you put something like a felt strip across the back of it that way it won't mar the walls????

It's not the luggage rack, it is the luggage. They place it against a wall so they can open the top and lean it against the wall. So the luggage puts black marks all over the wall AND even gouches and scratches the wall.

Most of mine are in front of a window or at the foot of the bed.

Ouch, that;s a tough one.
The only thing that comes to mind would be attaching a luan plywood backer to one side so it gets between the wall and the suitcase. If you know anyone with a scroll saw they may even be able to make it somewhat decorative. But I guess it depends on the style of the luggage rack whether you could even attach a backer to it.

The only thing that comes to mind would be attaching a luan plywood backer to one side so it gets between the wall and the suitcase. If you know anyone with a scroll saw they may even be able to make it somewhat decorative. But I guess it depends on the style of the luggage rack whether you could even attach a backer to it..
You know, we have a luggage rack in each room out in the open. The scratches are there, and I think the guests don't mind this. They just know what the scratches are from, and know that it can't be avoided.
As long as the rooms are clean, I don't think you should worry about it.

The only thing that comes to mind would be attaching a luan plywood backer to one side so it gets between the wall and the suitcase. If you know anyone with a scroll saw they may even be able to make it somewhat decorative. But I guess it depends on the style of the luggage rack whether you could even attach a backer to it..
You know, we have a luggage rack in each room out in the open. The scratches are there, and I think the guests don't mind this. They just know what the scratches are from, and know that it can't be avoided.
I tend to agree.
BTW, if you upload a square picture it won't overlap the text of your messages (note to Swirt... is there a bug there?).
=) Kk.

They will put them against the wall so the suitcase cover CAN lean against the wall. I have luggage racks with little backs so at least the suitcase itself doesn't jam against the wall. Otherwise if the wall gets marked I clean it. Usually comes off. It's the cost of dealing with suitcases I guess.

I tend to agree.
BTW, if you upload a square picture it won't overlap the text of your messages (note to Swirt... is there a bug there?).
=) Kk.
Oh boy, maybe the picture is too big.

I tend to agree.
=) Kk.
Oh boy, maybe the picture is too big.
Well, ideally it's supposed to be 85x85 (85 what I forget), but if you make it square (or at least as square as possible) then the site will adjust it for you.
So, not so much too big as too non-square...
=) Kk.

I tend to agree.
=) Kk.
The bug crawls no more.
shades_smile.gif
If you still see the bug, hit your refresh button so your browser grabs the latest stylesheet.

I tend to agree.
=) Kk.
The bug crawls no more.
shades_smile.gif
If you still see the bug, hit your refresh button so your browser grabs the latest stylesheet.
Your new name must be The Exterminator!
=) Kk.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
regular_smile.gif
Not a free solution, but it's really the best that you can do. It's amazing where the luggage racks end up! People really to want to prop those little suckers on something.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
regular_smile.gif
Not a free solution, but it's really the best that you can do. It's amazing where the luggage racks end up! People really to want to prop those little suckers on something..
Yes that is what I do. But they take chunks out fo the paint as well. I will continue with that method for now.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
regular_smile.gif
Not a free solution, but it's really the best that you can do. It's amazing where the luggage racks end up! People really to want to prop those little suckers on something..
Yes that is what I do. But they take chunks out fo the paint as well. I will continue with that method for now.
Are the luggage racks generally in the same spot, all the time? Could you install some kind of thin pad (I'm picturing leather) on the wall? I'm not quite sure how to describe what I'm imagining...
=) Kk.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
regular_smile.gif
Are the luggage racks generally in the same spot, all the time? Could you install some kind of thin pad (I'm picturing leather) on the wall? I'm not quite sure how to describe what I'm imagining...
=) Kk.
Nope never in the same spot. Wherever I put them they are moved.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
regular_smile.gif
=) Kk.
Gorilla glue them to the floor !... (just kidding...sort of)

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
regular_smile.gif
=) Kk.
Gorilla glue them to the floor !... (just kidding...sort of)
remove them altogether might be a plan!

We use wooden benches for our luggage rack. They have a built in shelf underneath for shoes etc.
Depending on your decor, you can use a decorative tin ceiling tiles as a backing behind the luggage rack to protect the wall. These can be painted to match your color scheme.
abp_metallaire_largefloralcircle_chrome_swatch

We use wooden benches for our luggage rack. They have a built in shelf underneath for shoes etc.
Depending on your decor, you can use a decorative tin ceiling tiles as a backing behind the luggage rack to protect the wall. These can be painted to match your color scheme.
abp_metallaire_largefloralcircle_chrome_swatch
I think this is agreat Idea. I don't have those problems yet, but will definately keep this one in mind....

Back