Lunch and Dinner

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inn my dreams

Reaction score
What do you do for lunch and dinner? Do you cook in the B&B kitchen? If you have owner's quarters on site, is there a separate kitchen?
I have a friend who used to be a B&B Innkeeper. He might fix a sandwich for lunch, but he almost always ate out for dinner. He said he didn't want to 1) be in the kitchen when guests were likely to be coming in from sightseeing and on their way out for evening activities and 2) didn't want to smell up the house at dinnertime which could be a turn off to some guests.
Just wondering about others' thoughts/practices?
Thanks!

We eat most of our meals at home. DH steams his veggies and sometimes will add some salsa or whatever - guests getting the aroma of his dnner have universally commented about how good it smells and then go get THEIR dinner. I eat what ever I scrounge in leftovers or in a can. In winter I make a vat of soup and work from that until gone. It is just the 2 of us - Jack Spratt who can eat no fat and his wife who can eat no lean - literally. No guests tonight so I just had the last of some bacon before it goes bad and a couple eggs. IF DH fixes something smelly, I put out a small dish of vanilla and that takes care of the aroma problem. Dining out most nights would eat up ANY profit I may make. Oh, we have one kitchen - period.

We eat most of our meals at home. DH steams his veggies and sometimes will add some salsa or whatever - guests getting the aroma of his dnner have universally commented about how good it smells and then go get THEIR dinner. I eat what ever I scrounge in leftovers or in a can. In winter I make a vat of soup and work from that until gone. It is just the 2 of us - Jack Spratt who can eat no fat and his wife who can eat no lean - literally. No guests tonight so I just had the last of some bacon before it goes bad and a couple eggs. IF DH fixes something smelly, I put out a small dish of vanilla and that takes care of the aroma problem. Dining out most nights would eat up ANY profit I may make. Oh, we have one kitchen - period..
gillumhouse said:
We eat most of our meals at home. DH steams his veggies and sometimes will add some salsa or whatever - guests getting the aroma of his dnner have universally commented about how good it smells and then go get THEIR dinner. I eat what ever I scrounge in leftovers or in a can. In winter I make a vat of soup and work from that until gone. It is just the 2 of us - Jack Spratt who can eat no fat and his wife who can eat no lean - literally. No guests tonight so I just had the last of some bacon before it goes bad and a couple eggs. IF DH fixes something smelly, I put out a small dish of vanilla and that takes care of the aroma problem. Dining out most nights would eat up ANY profit I may make. Oh, we have one kitchen - period.
Good to hear! DH and I are both good cooks and most of the time enjoy our own meals more than eating out. I can't imagine feeling like I shouldn't cook if I want to.

Oddly, most of us cannot leave the inn during lunch or dinner. Lunch? We're cleaning rooms and prepping for incoming guests. Dinner? We're waiting for incoming guests and we need to be here if guests need help.
That your friend got out for dinner every night is nothing short of amazing.
We have out own kitchen and we cook whatever we want. I would suggest the same for yourselves so you CAN cook what you want, when you want including a midnight snack in your jammies.

Oddly, most of us cannot leave the inn during lunch or dinner. Lunch? We're cleaning rooms and prepping for incoming guests. Dinner? We're waiting for incoming guests and we need to be here if guests need help.
We have out own kitchen and we cook whatever we want. I would suggest the same for yourselves so you CAN cook what you want, when you want including a midnight snack in your jammies..
Madeleine said:
We have out own kitchen and we cook whatever we want. I would suggest the same for yourselves so you CAN cook what you want, when you want including a midnight snack in your jammies.
Well, I can't say for certain that he went out EVERY evening, but I know he did a lot. Sometimes friends may have brought him a meal.... I just remember talking about this. He also had a housekeeper, so that helped!

We have a separate kitchen. Now that we are serving dinners here, the smells in the inn's kitchen permeate to the rooms. I'm ok with that because it's now part of our b&b. I would feel differently if it were just for us.
An important feature about choosing an inn to purchase is how the owner's quarters are set up and how much privacy there is. It's a major issue!

Back