Lying in online reviews: a study

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
Lying in online reviews: it's actually been studied by MIT. They could have just asked us.

What does this study means for customer facing professionals? I think we can take two actionable ideas away from it:
  1. Never use online ratings as the only source of customer satisfaction/service data. Online ratings are simply too inexact, too subject to other influences, to be the sole source of analyzing your product and/or service.
  2. Follow up with online reviewers as much as possible. Obviously, if you are Amazon or Zappos’ this is not possible. However, for small organizations, it can be feasible — and helpful. Due to online anonymity, you might not be able to connect with everyone, but some is better than none. Follow up online or off-line, but follow up if you think it will make a difference to your business.

It’s a Wild Wacky Web, and two researchers just showed us another gaping hole in the online ratings game.

Yes this is what we are always saying. Agreed.
If anyone ever wants to PAY US to be in a study, we are all more than willing! We have great innformation.

We were looking for a new fridge freezer a few years ago, we had a couple of brands in mind, but read online reviews and they were mostly terrible. Looked at some other brands and again mostly complaints of problems.
Came to the conclusion that left to their own devices the majority of people that write on-line reviews are those who have something to complain about.

I bought a keyboard for my tablet from Amazon....and I emailed back and forth with several people who purchased the first one I got. They had issues with it ..but I thought for the price I would give it a try. It was terrible. Returned it ...asked more questions of reviewers and found the original equipment one for my tablet. Satisfied camper. So you can "chat" with folks who review there. Some may respond and some may not.

I have had a couple of e-mails from individuals on TA asking me questions about a property I reviewed. I was happy to help them!

Back