Made Bagels - These are GF

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I have been making bagels a lot lately, they are easy and everyone has raved about them (I like hearing someone rave about something I make). Had a guest Monday night who is GF (we were attending the same meeting) and I had made bagels for the meeting. So I decided to try to make them GF using all-purpose gf flour. I did a half recipe and made 6. 1 came apart as I was taking it out of the boiling water, but 5 survived to go into the oven. She gave me points for trying and ate a couple of them, just do not know if they were GOOD (I doubt it, but as she said, I tried).
Gluten-FreeBagels-gilumhouse.JPG

The think about GF flour is that the flour is a mixture and has different weights. Do you remember when we were younger and we bought salad dressing and it would separate and we would have to shake it to get it distributed before we could pour it out? Well, that's what happens with GF flour. Normally xantham gum is added to make it not move, to "gum" up the works. But I don't know if that would work with the water boiling, because the movement of the water would be shaking it. Likely the water would need to be at simmer.

The think about GF flour is that the flour is a mixture and has different weights. Do you remember when we were younger and we bought salad dressing and it would separate and we would have to shake it to get it distributed before we could pour it out? Well, that's what happens with GF flour. Normally xantham gum is added to make it not move, to "gum" up the works. But I don't know if that would work with the water boiling, because the movement of the water would be shaking it. Likely the water would need to be at simmer..
It was not a rolling boil. Only one broke and it was more a result of the attempt to remove it from the pot. It got lifted incorrectly. I will be trying it again for the next GF.

Back