Mail for the PO's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
After 10 years we are still getting mail for the PO's. We can't throw it out because a lot of it is credit card offers with the inn name under the PO's name. I'm not going to forward it. And returning it to sender has done nothing.
The first few years we diligently forwarded all of their Christmas mailings from guests. We contacted the PO's when packages arrived addressed to them. If the items were addressed solely to the inn we kept them. (Lovely gifts at the holidays!)
We've had people call to ask if the items arrived and we've explained they had but we had no way of knowing who 'Sandy & Bob' were and no return address on the box. Astonishment! The PO's left without telling us? You new people stole their gift? We'll never be back.
Sigh.
It's that time of year. Mostly business-related greetings, but still, get with the program! Why are you mailing greetings to someone you haven't heard from in 10 years!?

People send gifts to the innkeepers???? OK, I have one who sends me a check every year, but she is nuts. Gifts they actually go to the P O to mail?

Good grief...if they were that close they would know where they are. Trash the mail and if the gift is a good one keep it... Or give it to charity.

Good grief...if they were that close they would know where they are. Trash the mail and if the gift is a good one keep it... Or give it to charity..
catlady said:
Good grief...if they were that close they would know where they are. Trash the mail and if the gift is a good one keep it... Or give it to charity.
I agree with catlady!

People send gifts to the innkeepers???? OK, I have one who sends me a check every year, but she is nuts. Gifts they actually go to the P O to mail?.
gillumhouse said:
People send gifts to the innkeepers???? OK, I have one who sends me a check every year, but she is nuts. Gifts they actually go to the P O to mail?
Yes, it happens. Not very often.

Good grief...if they were that close they would know where they are. Trash the mail and if the gift is a good one keep it... Or give it to charity..
catlady said:
This is where those boundary things come in handy!
wink_smile.gif
I can tell you that several guests were very put out when they showed up and found us here. They felt they were 'good friends' with the PO's and were deeply (really, not just embarrassed, but deeply) upset to realize the feelings hadn't gone both ways. Which always makes me think the PO's were really slick operators.
We've always felt the PO's 'abandoned ship' when they left here. For years we were rerouting phone calls from doctors, lawyers, car mechanics, banks, credit cards (valid cc's not just telemarketers!) and the like. The worst were always family members who would call, think we were innsitters and ask when their brother, nephew, cousin, aunt would be back.
Given that the PO's had already purchased a house, moved their things into it and were living there months before we closed on the inn, I would have thought they might have had time to tell FAMILY they had moved. It was sad.

I up till recently got letters from the PO's asthma clinic opened the last one and got the address and wrote a really harsh letter (they wrote every month and I had sent a not at this address back every time) saying it was a waste of a stamp/tree and if he was really sick they should have got with the program as they moved 6 years ago and I had send back blah blah etc wasn't rude but made my point and I havn't had another one!

Anything that is junk mail, open up the envelope, recycle the paper and trash the unrecyclable envelope.
Anything that has a return address, just write "moved, return to sender" and that's done.
Anything that has no return address or is addressed to the inn, open and enjoy. If you want, give the gifts to charity, otherwise, frankly, it's payment for their laziness in not telling people. And legally speaking, anything delivered to your front door by the post office is legally yours. Enjoy it.

catlady said:
This is where those boundary things come in handy!
wink_smile.gif
I can tell you that several guests were very put out when they showed up and found us here. They felt they were 'good friends' with the PO's and were deeply (really, not just embarrassed, but deeply) upset to realize the feelings hadn't gone both ways. Which always makes me think the PO's were really slick operators.
We've always felt the PO's 'abandoned ship' when they left here. For years we were rerouting phone calls from doctors, lawyers, car mechanics, banks, credit cards (valid cc's not just telemarketers!) and the like. The worst were always family members who would call, think we were innsitters and ask when their brother, nephew, cousin, aunt would be back.
Given that the PO's had already purchased a house, moved their things into it and were living there months before we closed on the inn, I would have thought they might have had time to tell FAMILY they had moved. It was sad.
It IS sad but there are some families (or family members) that the healthiest thing to do is to "divorce" them. I have a sister-in law.........

Anything that is junk mail, open up the envelope, recycle the paper and trash the unrecyclable envelope.
Anything that has a return address, just write "moved, return to sender" and that's done.
Anything that has no return address or is addressed to the inn, open and enjoy. If you want, give the gifts to charity, otherwise, frankly, it's payment for their laziness in not telling people. And legally speaking, anything delivered to your front door by the post office is legally yours. Enjoy it..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And legally speaking, anything delivered to your front door by the post office is legally yours. Enjoy it.
That certainly explains why another neighbor kept my books when they were misdelivered. It may be legal but it's certainly not moral. We forwarded everything until the forwarding notice ran out. Then we figured it was ours if it was only addressed to the inn and not the PO's themselves.

I up till recently got letters from the PO's asthma clinic opened the last one and got the address and wrote a really harsh letter (they wrote every month and I had sent a not at this address back every time) saying it was a waste of a stamp/tree and if he was really sick they should have got with the program as they moved 6 years ago and I had send back blah blah etc wasn't rude but made my point and I havn't had another one!.
For some reason we get a lot of mail addressed to a variety of businesses that are not and have never been at this address. Not even close. Not off by a zip code. Not here at all.
I've tracked those other businesses down, gotten their real addresses and forwarded everything. At least if the envelope has a notification on it for address correction the sender gets notified. And if the Post Office changes the address the sender will comply. Unlike if I return to sender. Then they think I'm having them on!

Anything that has no return address or is addressed to the inn, open and enjoy. If you want, give the gifts to charity, otherwise, frankly, it's payment for their laziness in not telling people. And legally speaking, anything delivered to your front door by the post office is legally yours. Enjoy it..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And legally speaking, anything delivered to your front door by the post office is legally yours. Enjoy it.
That certainly explains why another neighbor kept my books when they were misdelivered. It may be legal but it's certainly not moral. We forwarded everything until the forwarding notice ran out. Then we figured it was ours if it was only addressed to the inn and not the PO's themselves.
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Not if it wasn't addressed to them. The law is specific and was designed to keep companies from sending you things and then sending you a bill for them. That is why they need you to agree to order it before they send it. It's a legal requirement. So if it's YOUR address, the post office has done their job and the letter is legally delivered. The name of the envelope is of no real consequence.
If a package is simply misdirected and they keep it, that's postal theft and punishable. Your neighbour.... should be in jail.
Section 1702.
Obstruction of correspondence
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.[/COLOR]

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Not if it wasn't addressed to them. The law is specific and was designed to keep companies from sending you things and then sending you a bill for them. That is why they need you to agree to order it before they send it. It's a legal requirement. So if it's YOUR address, the post office has done their job and the letter is legally delivered. The name of the envelope is of no real consequence.
If a package is simply misdirected and they keep it, that's postal theft and punishable. Your neighbour.... should be in jail.
Section 1702.
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.[/COLOR]
Difficult line when it may have the inns name and the old owners names. Hard to determine on that one, most of the time it IS junk mail. Send it back and have REGULAR mail messed up. Have to be careful. SURELY the post master can get it sorted Maddie, have them remove that name once and for all.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Section 1702.
Difficult line when it may have the inns name and the old owners names. Hard to determine on that one, most of the time it IS junk mail. Send it back and have REGULAR mail messed up. Have to be careful. SURELY the post master can get it sorted Maddie, have them remove that name once and for all.
Joey Bloggs said:
The Post Master can't even make sure I get my mail and not my neighbors' much less trying to be sure that we don't get mail addressed to people who don't live here but used to own the business that's still here. That's the thing. Mail is delivered to an address not a person. Even if the mail guy KNOWS I live at 10 Downing St, if the envelope says 12 Downing St, that's where it goes. Unless it gets returned to sender as undeliverable because there is no # 12.
Like you said, if I start trying to return to sender all of this mail addressed both to the inn AND to the PO's it will end up messing with my legitimate business at this address.
This is the first year in a long time we have not gotten a Christmas card addressed to this address but in a completely different town but the sender kept using this town's zip code. It was OBVIOUS to the naked eye that the TOWN was wrong but that same card went back and forth from here to the post office and back to my mailbox until I took it to the post office and showed them...different town, spelled out. Chance of someone misspelling the town is a lot lower than the odds of them getting a digit off on the zip code.

We get a Christmas card from the same person every year for the POs. It just has the persons name and the village name on the envelope but the postie knows they lived here. They've been gone 8 years now, this years card arrived Monday.
Would have thought that you'd give up sending cards to someone you'd not heard of in 8 years.

We get a Christmas card from the same person every year for the POs. It just has the persons name and the village name on the envelope but the postie knows they lived here. They've been gone 8 years now, this years card arrived Monday.
Would have thought that you'd give up sending cards to someone you'd not heard of in 8 years..
Highlands John said:
Would have thought that you'd give up sending cards to someone you'd not heard of in 8 years.
That sounds very familiar. Why do we bother? ... (Sorry just thinking aloud, we have been here 8 years and my "favorite" relatives could give a rip, and there is no communication whatsoever. We all know how this is...We are the only ones keeping the family together in this arena)
On the same token, I got a card and Christmas letter from new friends that really touched me. The bottom half of the page were little photos of each grandchild and a caption "What we are most thankful for this Christmas"
I thought about my parents and their 8 grandkids, they have never sent anything like this out, nor my grandparents, I was blessed to receive this card and letter. There are some people out there who care and love and it shows...
Keep up the good work everyone. Love the one you're with!
heart.gif
heart.gif

Would have thought that you'd give up sending cards to someone you'd not heard of in 8 years..
Highlands John said:
That sounds very familiar. Why do we bother? ... (Sorry just thinking aloud, we have been here 8 years and my "favorite" relatives could give a rip, and there is no communication whatsoever. We all know how this is...We are the only ones keeping the family together in this arena)
On the same token, I got a card and Christmas letter from new friends that really touched me. The bottom half of the page were little photos of each grandchild and a caption "What we are most thankful for this Christmas"
I thought about my parents and their 8 grandkids, they have never sent anything like this out, nor my grandparents, I was blessed to receive this card and letter. There are some people out there who care and love and it shows...
heart.gif
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
Here's an opinion from someone whose parents would never do that and who would never do it herself...I (and my mom) would never think anyone else would be interested in my kids (grandkids, great grandkids) to the point we would inflict them on anyone. And we all love the kids and our family. But we're very private about that.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Section 1702.
Joey Bloggs said:
The Post Master can't even make sure I get my mail and not my neighbors' much less trying to be sure that we don't get mail addressed to people who don't live here but used to own the business that's still here. That's the thing. Mail is delivered to an address not a person. Even if the mail guy KNOWS I live at 10 Downing St, if the envelope says 12 Downing St, that's where it goes. Unless it gets returned to sender as undeliverable because there is no # 12.
Like you said, if I start trying to return to sender all of this mail addressed both to the inn AND to the PO's it will end up messing with my legitimate business at this address.
This is the first year in a long time we have not gotten a Christmas card addressed to this address but in a completely different town but the sender kept using this town's zip code. It was OBVIOUS to the naked eye that the TOWN was wrong but that same card went back and forth from here to the post office and back to my mailbox until I took it to the post office and showed them...different town, spelled out. Chance of someone misspelling the town is a lot lower than the odds of them getting a digit off on the zip code.
When I was in University, I used to get my mail postmarked from the US. It was mailed from here to there, but because they also used 5 digit postal codes, Canada Post would just see that and send it to the US. It got sorted and sent to that ZIP code only to realize that it was destined for elsewhere. So it took longer to get mail, but nothing I could do about it.
If it has the name of the Inn, it's not personal mail. If it's delivered to your address, it's yours, no doubt about it. The forwarding is simply a courtesy and after a year, it's beyond courtesy, imho.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Gee, now if only my bills will be delivered to someone elses front door!
wink_smile.gif

Back