Main floor bathroom for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
We have just one bathroom on our main floor and that is in our private quarters.
Guests, at breakfast, often ask to use the main floor bathroom and we have to send
them upstairs to their room (sometimes 2 flights of stairs). They often look at us funny, like to say "What no bathroom on the main floor". I tell them it is in our private area so they will have to use the one in their room.
One day we may have one for them to use but for now, NO! Do most of you have a guest main floor bathroom or is it like us....send them up to use their own throne?

We are lucky in that we built our place so put a half bath in the main area off the dining room
RIki

we are lucky partly because one of the previous owners used the breakfast room as a restaurant (ie guests and public) and one of the requirements for this is you have to have a toilet avaliable for those people to use and they put that in on the first floor to fit requirements. It is also handy if people have people in from other B&B's to meet them here and have lunch or a small meeting, which happens now and again depending on the conference and we do tea and coffee ($6 a pot) which over say a three day conference can add up nicely and costs about 5p to make.

We don't have one either, and they have to use their own bathroom. We just answer "No I am sorry this is not a restroom downstairs for you." This is not easy, as this past week we had a very elderly granny here who was cute as can be but has difficulty doing stairs. As tempted as we can be to say well okay...it is never a good idea. Our quarters are simply OFF LIMITS.
We added a new bath downstairs near the back for functions - forward thinking...new owners can use it for outside functions (garden weddings) etc. or if they allow caterers to use the kitchen. It is our family bath at the moment near the kids bedroom. BUT it is only a couple year sold and our kids who are pIGS make it so disgusting that if I GO IN THERE, I begin a rampage. They are in hot water EVERY DAY over being pigs. Every weekend we have them clean it and by the end of the week it is filthy. SO...no one goes in there, and if I go in there, they better run!
So, all that to say NO WaY IN THE WORLD is anyone using our own restrooms. NO WAY! (Yes mine is clean, but again, my space, privacy issue. They are not going through my bedroom.)

No downstairs guest bathroom and no idea why a guest would think there was one. No idea why perfectly healthy people think it would be a good idea to stink up the downstairs rather than walk 30 feet or so to get to their own bathroom.
This is a VERY common request and even if I wanted them to use the toilet in the laundry room I would opt not to for the sake of everyone in the dining room and kitchen. Even WE don't use that toilet. If I have to walk across the entire inn, downstairs and back up and across the entire inn to get back to the dining room, the guests can walk a few feet!
People. You have no idea how LOUD you are in the bathroom. Do you really want EVERYONE looking at you when you return to the table? Wondering, did s/he or didn't s/he wash hands before touching that salt shaker?

No bathroom downstairs. IF we have guests (not B & B) for a cookout, now that our daughter remodeled our bathroom it is fit for human habitation, we can close the door to our room (lock on our side of door) and open the door in the kitchen that is a passage to our bathroom for our guests (not B & B peoples - friends-type peoples). B & B guests get to hike up the stairs to their oen bathroom.
I reply to such requests with, "Gee, I am sorry but there is no bathroom on the first floor." End of story.

We have a half-bath at the foot of the guest wing stairs. It's very near the dining room, also near to the outside door to the guest porch. And yep, it was planned.

Mine is "under the stairs" like Harry Potter, small but serves it's pupose, no way is anyone coming into my PQ ...

We have a half bath under the stairs, which we put in. Came in handy for guests who had been on the road for awhile and needed bathroom right NOW. Most guests once checked in and settled preferred the privacy of their bathroom in their room if they were going to be in there for any time at all....

no main floor facilities right now... we have planned to put a powder room in the hall by the stairs. Guests have asked and only once did we get a negative response.

No bathroom for guests on the first floor but that doesn't stop some guests from opening every door to look for one. My daughter's bathroom is in a very private part of the house with every door closed in between them and her bathroom but every once in a while I'll hear a guest using it. They literally have to go through a storage room to get to it but find it they will! It would have been so much easier for them to walk up the stairs to their own bathroom. Luckily my daughter has not been home when that's happened.

No bathroom for guests on the first floor but that doesn't stop some guests from opening every door to look for one. My daughter's bathroom is in a very private part of the house with every door closed in between them and her bathroom but every once in a while I'll hear a guest using it. They literally have to go through a storage room to get to it but find it they will! It would have been so much easier for them to walk up the stairs to their own bathroom. Luckily my daughter has not been home when that's happened..
I think they get in so deep there's no turning back. They've come this far, keep going.

Victoria said:
They often look at us funny, like to say "What no bathroom on the main floor". I tell them it is in our private area so they will have to use the one in their room.
BTW, forgot to say, the best answer is, 'No, there is no bathroom on this floor.' Anything else leads to pushing to get into your space and that gets ugly as everyone gets defensive.
We also get guests who let themselves back in the house after they check out and go back to 'their' room or we find them peeking in every door to find the bathroom we told them we don't have.

Back