maintaining a website and reservations, etc. - your opinions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so, the owner and i had a meeting yesterday ...
the owner says if it does not sell, someone will be running the place next season (may thru october) so it can continue to pay its own way. it will not be me - she asked and i declined.
she is willing to pay me to maintain the website and to handle reservations, do the bookkeeping, until the reopening in may ... i have been paid to close the place down for the season.
if it sells to those who want to run it, all would be handed over to new owners.
if it sells to those who don't want to run it as a b&b, deposits would be refunded.
i admit i have an emotional attachment to the b&b and to the guests who want to come back. i want to see it succeed because i worked so hard to get it where it is.
i welcome your opinions.

Would you tell the people that book that there would be a possibility that the Inn will be sold and their reservation will be refunded?

HONESTLY...if I were you...I would walk away and be free and clear of it all!
She treated you unfairly and I think she has to suffer the consequences. If you keep doing this for her, you still have this emotional attachment to it all.
You need to move on with your life and put this all behind you.
Hanging on and having to give explanations of what might or might not happen, maybe having to refund deposits and all the rest of this stuff will just add to the grief you have had to deal with.
PLEASE....CUT THE CORD and MOVE ON :)

I would let go as El said. And I would do that BECAUSE you have an emotional attachment. You should not be the person to take all the grief should the inn not reopen next year. And you will be. And any rez that goes wrong you will be contacted about. This will be a constant thorn until next OCTOBER, not next May.
Let her hire someone else to take reservations and handle the bookkeeping. Consider also, that if you do end up in an innkeeping job elsewhere, this will be a conflict of interest.

depends - do you have something else to do? if not then you should do it, if you have something better, well then YA GOTTA TAKE CARE OF YOU!

We have moved and had websites to update and maintain and it became a complete nightmare. Well not complete, but it dragged things out and we would have liked to cut it off but were being nice about it. Would have been better all round if we left it to someone else since we were no longer there. My choice would be to let is all go and be done with it and have the memories you have and be proud of what you have accomplished there!

If the pay is worth your time, then continuing it might be worthwhile.

Hmmm...Do you need the money to tide you over until you find something else?
If not, I'm inclined to agree with some of the others & just hand it all back to the owner to deal with. I would want to move on myself. Also, I really wouldn't want to have to go through all the explanations of reservations being canceled if the place sells to someone who won't be continuing the B&B.
Good luck with this.

Well, I don't know the whole story about you and your ex-partner, just that she wants to sell the Inn. So depending on the history you have with her I think staying on and keeping the books and maintaining the website would give you some cash and I'm assuming she would let you live at the Inn? Then you would have some place to live also. It would give you time to see what's out there and what you might want to do. If something comes along you can always give her a few weeks notice and move on, sounds like she would do that to you....

no, i cannot live here over the winter. it is freezing ... one month to heat just the kitchen, bath, a bedroom and lving room cost me $900 the first year ... never again. i am closing it down for the winter. we drain down the building and botton it up. there is no insulation to speak of and no storm windows so we heat the whole outdoors! crazy but true.
i have a place to go, just need to find work. so the money yes is an issue ... i have done the over the winter rez and website thing offsite for three years now, this would be the fourth.
thanks all for your input.

no, i cannot live here over the winter. it is freezing ... one month to heat just the kitchen, bath, a bedroom and lving room cost me $900 the first year ... never again. i am closing it down for the winter. we drain down the building and botton it up. there is no insulation to speak of and no storm windows so we heat the whole outdoors! crazy but true.
i have a place to go, just need to find work. so the money yes is an issue ... i have done the over the winter rez and website thing offsite for three years now, this would be the fourth.
thanks all for your input..
WOW, $900?!? So if someone bought it to live in instead of keeping it an Inn they would have to do some major renovations or make it a Summer home?

SS,
IMNVHO you need to close the door to allow the next one to open. We cannot serve two masters and be true to ourselves. It is time to decide what the next phase of your life will hold - and to allow it to unfold unemcumbered by the past.
That is my opinion. Prayers are with you regardless of what you choose to do. No matter what any of us have to say, YOU are the one who has to make the decision - and live with it.

I think you should call it done. I make it point to never reward bad behavior. Your former partner treated you badly. I wouldn't reward that.
There will likely be more headaches than rewards from this if you did decide to keep helping out.
Your former partner can't be trusted to do right by you... so if you decide to do it because it is right for YOU, do it only if you get paid in full, up front.

I agree completely with Swirt.
I'm glad you have a place to go.
I'll bet you can find work anywhere. (There's even that company ag63 told us about...)
If it's right for YOU, then go ahead, but otherwise, no way!
=)
Kk.

SS, I agree with the others who have said to move one. Where He closes a door, somewhere He opens a window. But the door has to be closed, not closing. I am so sorry that you have to go thru this, but a clean break is better than a shatter. It's easier to close the wound if you don't have to go digging thru the wreckage to find all the pieces.
Good luck to you...my prayers are with you.

I would make a clean cut loose. Whoever she hires to run it next year, you could be blamed for reservations, etc. If you aren't going to run the inn, I don't think you should have a hand in the on line part.
You will be disappointed in how the inn will be run next year and you will feel bad. Need to make the disconnect now for all of it. You will find more to do as an innsitter or another job that you decide. Don't hang on, it will only cause heartache.

thanks all for your input..
So PLEASE let us know...what did you decide?

Back